Sourdough Asiago Bagels

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldsmokerdude

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2018
LaPorte Indiana
Over the weekend I smoked lots of delicious bacon-wrapped chicken breasts; froze some, used some in various recipes over the past few days, and have just generally enjoyed them. Now it's time to make some sandwiches. But first, we need the perfect foundation.......asiago bagels.

Proofed and waiting patiently for their water to boil
proofed.jpg

Boiling 1 minute, flip, 1 minute more
boiling.jpg

Finished boiling and waiting for the egg wash
boiled.jpg

Egg wash (whole egg with a bit of water)
egg_wash.jpg

While they have plenty of cheese inside, need more on the outside
ready_for_oven.jpg

Finished bagels ready for slicing, add some chicken, Carolina mustard sauce, and swiss cheese
ready_to_eat.jpg

Yum.

I LOVE Asiago Cheese!
I get a nice wedge at Sam's Club from time to time. Much bigger, and much cheaper than the local market.
I have one in the cooler drawer in the fridge right now, unopened.

I should put some on my pulled pork!

Oh my god. I just drooled reading the title..

Can I hope you'll be willing to share the recipe? Me and my dad used to get these alot but the place that made them closed up!

My gosh, those look good!
We make bagels all the time & the next batch I will use Asiago cheese in them like yours!
I don't know why I never thought of putting cheese in the bagels!
And congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Those bagels look top notch. Congratulations on the carousel ride - Well deserved.

Point for sure
Chris

I agree with the others, those look fantastic!

I also would love to see the recipe you used to make them.

Link

Wow! Thanks, I never used an egg wash with bagels. I have got to try it. An old shipmate's Mom showed me how to make bagels long ago. She was right in assuming that there weren't that many boiled doughnuts in Louisiana. LOL

You know what she did? She did 'em like soft pretzels. She would add just a pinch of baking soda to the boiling water and I always assumed that was "the" way. I have got to try the egg wash now. Puts bagels on the to-do list.

I agree with the others, those look fantastic!

I also would love to see the recipe you used to make them.

Link

I agree with Link... would be interested in your recipe if you care to share.

I am heading up to San Francisco in a couple weeks and was thinking about starting a sourdough starter there and bringing it back. lol

The last soughdough base I had, was almost a year old. Its a crazy relationship... its like owning plants. lol you feed it and it IS alive, it grows, but there is never interactive, say like a dog or cat.

Nice. Look forward to the recipe also. Living in NJ, every town has one or more bagel shops. Traditional to get a dozen or two warm bagels after church for a big Sunday breakfast. Now, the small PA mountain town I live in thinks Thomas' Bagels, in a bag, are the real deal. Pretty sad. I need to make some...JJ

One of my favorite breakfasts... and if any of you have never tried it, it is a must...

Your favorite bagel (I like classic sesame or jalapeno/cheddar) cream cheese, and thick cut, nicely crisped bacon...

Thanks to everyone for your kind and gracious feedback!!! I'll get the recipe up as soon as I can.

The last soughdough base I had, was almost a year old. Its a crazy relationship...
So true. You have to nurture and feed it as well as talk nicely to it (lol) but it gives back some tasty bread and treats. The starter I use is about 5 years old at this point and going strong. It sits on the top shelf of the fridge (eye level) in front so I remember to feed it. I bake way more in the winter than the summer so in winter it gets fed couple times a week as I use it.

Thanks to everyone for your kind and gracious feedback!!! I'll get the recipe up as soon as I can.

So true. You have to nurture and feed it as well as talk nicely to it (lol) but it gives back some tasty bread and treats. The starter I use is about 5 years old at this point and going strong. It sits on the top shelf of the fridge (eye level) in front so I remember to feed it. I bake way more in the winter than the summer so in winter it gets fed couple times a week as I use it.

Im not going to wait until San Francisco.... Im going to start a new sour dough starter tonight! Thanks for the inspiration! Its been 4 or 5 years since I last had a SD starter.

Those look awesome. Can't wait to see the recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky