• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Sourdough Asiago Bagels

oldsmokerdude

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2018
Im not going to wait until San Francisco.... Im going to start a new sour dough starter tonight! Thanks for the inspiration! Its been 4 or 5 years since I last had a SD starter.
That's great!!! Can't wait to see some of your baked goods.

A little known fact of sour dough is that ALL sour dough starters are local. So while you could begin with a starter from SF (or any other of the many heirloom starters out there) after a while, your local flora will overtake that from your SF starter resulting in a starter exactly the same as if you started it yourself where you live (that's a lot of starts in the same sentence, sorry about that.)

Xendau

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 23, 2018
That's great!!! Can't wait to see some of your baked goods.

A little known fact of sour dough is that ALL sour dough starters are local. So while you could begin with a starter from SF (or any other of the many heirloom starters out there) after a while, your local flora will overtake that from your SF starter resulting in a starter exactly the same as if you started it yourself where you live (that's a lot of starts in the same sentence, sorry about that.)
That is exactly why I decided to start yesterday.... lol Sad thing is... I didnt start the starter yesterday. Lazy bones. Figure if I start today, the starter should be ready by next Saturday.

link

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 7, 2008
So how does one go about making a sourdough starter?
Link

Xendau

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 23, 2018
So how does one go about making a sourdough starter?
Link
Funny you should ask... I got mine started last night. Its super simple. I will start a thread on it. I took pictures. Ill link the thread after it is started.

Xendau

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 23, 2018
There are tons of "recipes" for creating a starter on the web. King Arthur's recipe seems to work pretty well for most people. If that doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll provide my method which is a bit more complicated.
And I totally agree with oldsmoker... you can find tons of them online. Or you can follow my steps. There are some call for a 50/50 water/flour mix which makes baker's math somewhat easier to do. I use a 60/40 water/flour mix.

Main thing is to remember unbleached and unbromated. I like to use Bob's Red Mill Organic Rye Flour.

link

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 7, 2008
Funny you should ask... I got mine started last night. Its super simple. I will start a thread on it. I took pictures. Ill link the thread after it is started.
Thanks, I will look for it later.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.