somewhat wordy expose' on burnt ends. with imgs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
I continued my affair with my new WSM Sunday with a nice batch of burnt ends. After convincing (bribing)
My local meat cutter to separate the point from big'ol prime packer, I was set to go. My basis for burnt ends, after reading many, I settled on the recommendations of @JessPryles. Now, I've never spent a bunch of time in Kansas city, norhave I eaten authentic burnt ends there, but I do have a slight aversion to heavily BBQ sauced beef of any kind. During prep time I suggested that I might deviate from the BBQ sauce braising and try a more savory and less sweet end process. At that time, the Warden reminded me how much she LOVED my first batch of ends which followed tried and true BBQ sauce and brown Sugar braising. To avoid a stint in solitary I only deviated slightly where I used a 1/2 can of beef broth mixed almost evenly with SBR Chipotle sauce and a TBL of soy sauce to lower the sweetness.
I always have a batch of SPG mixed up so that was the main rub, with a hint of my rib rub for color.
The WSM decided it was going to run 240-250 so I let it settle, threw in 2-3 chunks of oak, probed the meat and put the lid on. I let it go without supervision through the stall and then spritzed beef broth, and went in to make a batch of pimento cheese spread (appetizer).
When the bark set, around 180, I took it off, spritzed and tightly wrapped in peach paper. I let it go until the probe read 190. Then removed it and did the cube thing. Put the cubes in a medium aluminum pan and covered with my deviated sauce. Stirred the coals to raise the temp a bit and returned the pan to the smoker, uncovered and let it finish. When the sauce reduced about 1/2 and the chunks probed about 200 with my #inkbird instant read, I knew it was done.
Ended up with gummable chunks of meat candy. Still a little sweet for me, but she was tickled.

Pics below: click on thumbs for full image

point raw.jpg

point start small.jpg

Iburnt endcubes sm.jpg

burnt ends done sm.jpg

Looks mighty good. I'm like you...dont much care for the super sweet sauces. But the warden was happy and kept you out of solitary. So we'll count it a win.

Jim

Reactions: fxsales1959
Man those look good!! Oddly enough, I've never made burnt ends but seen a bunch of them here and yours are as good as any and better looking than most. Very nice color on those things and they look super tasty. That sauce looks exceptional.

Robert

Man those look good!! Oddly enough, I've never made burnt ends but seen a bunch of them here and yours are as good as any and better looking than most. Very nice color on those things and they look super tasty. That sauce looks exceptional.

Robert
Thank you! The Warden loved them... me not as much. Hvaing hard time with sweet sauce on good beef.

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks good John, and I could go for those
And for the liking of others is always the right thing to do , for the ones that really run the house. :emoji_wink::emoji_wink:

I have only made a couple times and not really impressed with my attempts,
so I should give them another go. Now that everyone has helped me to smoke better here.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky