snack stick question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Spenc123420

Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
how do they make slim jims.. like you buy in the store? are they smoked and cooked or just air dryed/ fermented.. how do you make a product that u can vacuum seal an leave on the shelf for months? what is the process. i have been making good beefsticks an then freezing.. i would like to make a product that can be stored in a pantry for longer periods of time... anybody know about this, please help and thanks in advance

Reactions: SonnyE
Not sure Spence, but I'm on a similar quest.
Well, not the months long shelf life, necessarily.
Just some great tasting snacks I know the history of.
I think Slim Jim's are made of the cutting room sawdust, some tasty drippings, and liquid smoke. Packaged in edible plastic.

Reactions: 73saint and stayhot
They put the meat in a large buffalo chopper to emulisfy the meat and seasonings. Machine made sticks with A+ Golden bite collagen casings in the 14-15mm size, some lactic acid culture thrown in for some tang.

Thats all i know :emoji_laughing:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky