Smoking Some Pork Butts, with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin13

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 8, 2007
Wentzville, MO
My 1st attempt at pulled pork back in April for my son's 2nd birthday party went fairly well, especially when Ron P called and talked me off the ledge
icon_lol.gif
  So it was a matter of time before I'd do it again.

Well a buddy of mine asked if I would smoke a couple of butts for his daughter's 1st birthday party this Sunday.  Well my immediate family caught wind and asked if I'd smoke some for them as well.  I didn't want to cut it close with smoking Saturday night into Sunday and have his guests waiting for me, so I'm starting Friday night and he can reheat Sunday afternoon.  Here's what I got:

From left to right.....7.89 lb, 9.44 lb, 9.91 lb, & 10.99 lb.  These were rubbed down Thursday night and placed in the fridge.

c05a5c36_DSC03137.jpg

Just loaded in the smoker at 12:30AM CST at 235 degrees.  From top to bottom....10.99 lb, 9.91 lb, 9.44 lb, & 7.89 lb. 

953b18e0_DSC03141.jpg

Will update pics during the entire smoke as I'm jacked up on Mountain Dew and a 5-hour energy shot
icon_eek.gif

Last edited:
About 2-1/2 hours in and all 4 butts are reading between 102* and 109*.  Just gave them a spritz of apple juice as well.

84ba475d_DSC03142.jpg

6 hours in and the 10.99 lb has stalled at 150*, the other 3 have stalled at 145*.  I'll foil at 170* and take up to 208*, then I'll pull and throw in a cooler.  More to come....

d3780b66_DSC03144.jpg

Looks great so far looking forward to the big finish

So I'm not sure what's going on.  The 10.99 lb hit 170* about an hour ago, so I foiled it and it's now at 173*.

The other 3 seem to have stalled again at 155*.  It doesn't make much sense to me, but I probed a couple different spots and it's consistent.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Well the pork turned out pretty good.  It took alot longer than I thought, but I had about 38 lbs of meat, the most I've ever smoked at one time.  Here's the 10.99 lb pulled, the other 3 butts are resting in a cooler.  This makes the lack of sleep absolutely worth it.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

809909f7_DSC03145.jpg

Last edited:
Great job there!!  The color is beautiful and that pulled meat looks just right!   Those stalls can seem downright mysterious and kinda worrisome, all right.  My last couple had a stall of only about 2 hours - just gotta believe and wait it out.  If I ever got really concerned, I'd pull and finish in the oven, but I haven't had to yet. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky