Memorial Day Pork Butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WI Smoker77

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 18, 2021
I was asked , by my mother ( who could refuse?) to smoke some pork butts over the weekend for some pulled pork to divide up amongst her grandchildren. So I gladly took
to it. Grabbed 4 fresh butts on Saturday that were on sale for $ 1.89/lb and cooked them Sunday night until Monday morning. Used my fathers Grilla Grill pellet smoker.
Had a few issues with the smoker which concerned/ (s) me. Would spike up in temperature after 6 hours cook time. So, pulled the butts off and cleaned the grill again and worked for another 7 hours before having the same issue. Not sure what would have caused this. If any ideas please let me know. I really don't like the idea of burning up any meat products.
Anyway, took and washed and rubbed the butts with my homemade rub.
Pork I.jpg
Then cooked for almost 14 hours at 225 degrees. I think due to the quantity of meat this took a little longer than the 2 butts I usually do. Took them to an IT
of 200 degrees.
pork iii.jpg
Pulled them off the grill and rested for 40 mins. Then pulled them and shredded into two pans.
pork II.jpeg
Flavor was spot on and very juicy. I did spritz/spray every 20 mins from the 9 hour mark on, apple juice/ apple cider vinegar.
Thanks for reading.

Smoking a lot of butts can cause a lot of grease drippings. It’s common to have a contained grease fire if you’re not using drip pans to catch the grease. This is often the cause of big temperature spikes.

Reactions: bauchjw
Looks great! Even better mom was happy and the grandchildren even more so!

Nice job!
Ryan

Nice looking PP you got there. I have one on the smoker as I type. I hope it comes out as good as yours looks.

Point for sure
Chris

Smoking a lot of butts can cause a lot of grease drippings. It’s common to have a contained grease fire if you’re not using drip pans to catch the grease. This is often the cause of big temperature spikes.
I was wondering if possible also, but this smoker has a solid pan that allows the grease drippings to run out of the unit without getting near the fire. Nothing appeared burned on the grease.
Contacted the company and was told was probably the pellets we used. They were Traeger brand pellets so unsure. Thanks for your response.

Nice looking PP you got there. I have one on the smoker as I type. I hope it comes out as good as yours looks.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you and I am sure yours came out great also. Feels great when products come out good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky