SMOKIN-IT SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I now use this small container with some wood pellets. I use more, but you can see some in the pictures above. Notice there is only one small hole in the container lid minimizing oxygen but allowing smoke to exit. I also love the amnps but I ddid notice that these pellets just turned to black rather than burn to ash.

There's been a lot of debate on the drill/no drill to use pellets or sawdust. I have the SI1 model (wish i bought bigger!!!) and do bacon twice a year with a cold smoke using dust. I have found an easy, and non-permanent, way to get enough air flow...masking tape!!  After drying out the dust in the microwave for a few minutes, I light it with a blow torch in the amazen. I remove the smoke box and lay it on top of the element over the hole (element is off of course). I then close the door, but leave it open just a crack. I secure with a couple pieces of masking tape. This allows just enough air to circulate through and keep the dust going. Has been working very well for me. I did this because I didn't want to drill into the smoker and modify it permanently. Hopefully this helps other people!

There's been a lot of debate on the drill/no drill to use pellets or sawdust. I have the SI1 model (wish i bought bigger!!!) and do bacon twice a year with a cold smoke using dust. I have found an easy, and non-permanent, way to get enough air flow...masking tape!!  After drying out the dust in the microwave for a few minutes, I light it with a blow torch in the amazen. I remove the smoke box and lay it on top of the element over the hole (element is off of course). I then close the door, but leave it open just a crack. I secure with a couple pieces of masking tape. This allows just enough air to circulate through and keep the dust going. Has been working very well for me. I did this because I didn't want to drill into the smoker and modify it permanently. Hopefully this helps other people!
Hmmmm, I will give this a shot as cheese is on my short list to do soon and I have about given up on using the dust burner in my SI #3. I have drilled out the original hole to a larger diameter, believe to 1/2 inch, but that did not help with keeping it lit, nor did the aquarium pump gizmo I tried. I can't convince myself to dry dust in my oven at 350 or so for 90 minutes to use this thing so it's collecting dust in my shop. Frustrating, to say the least......thx for the input.....Willie

Hmmmm, I will give this a shot as cheese is on my short list to do soon and I have about given up on using the dust burner in my SI #3. I have drilled out the original hole to a larger diameter, believe to 1/2 inch, but that did not help with keeping it lit, nor did the aquarium pump gizmo I tried. I can't convince myself to dry dust in my oven at 350 or so for 90 minutes to use this thing so it's collecting dust in my shop. Frustrating, to say the least......thx for the input.....Willie
Just did cheese on Saturday using this method! 5 hours of continuous smoke!

Chef Willie,

I have baked the pellets in my gas grill so as not to risk burning my house down for a second time. It did work, but as mentioned before adds an extra step that I have to plan for which is anathema to my lazy man's smoking approach.

Be careful with a single large hole. I've resorted to putting a heavy object on top of my SI3 vent hole and keeping the door fully latched to keep the mice out of it. The existing drain hole seems to be too small for them to get in. It's quite disgusting what they'll do if you forget to remove the greasy foil after a cook if they do gain access.

Chef Willie,

I have baked the pellets in my gas grill so as not to risk burning my house down for a second time. It did work, but as mentioned before adds an extra step that I have to plan for which is anathema to my lazy man's smoking approach.
LOL....yes, I remember that lazy man's smoke routine & I raised my hand to count me in.....seems counterproductive to me, all that BS to get some dust/pellets going. I throw 2 chunks in and call it good...
Be careful with a single large hole. I've resorted to putting a heavy object on top of my SI3 vent hole and keeping the door fully latched to keep the mice out of it. The existing drain hole seems to be too small for them to get in. It's quite disgusting what they'll do if you forget to remove the greasy foil after a cook if they do gain access.
Thx...I'll keep that in mind. I do have mine up on a stand now so would have to be some acrobatic mice to get up & in. It's much easier for them to stroll over to my chicken coop and raid the feed bucket. And there's water in there in case they need a drink or a bath...

I keep the door just barely cracked, only enough to let some air through. Haven't had any mice in there yet (knock on wood), but the bastards did chew a hole in my propane hose attached to my grill!!! A mouse could definitely fit through the hole in the bottom if they could get to it easily. Mice can fit through openings the size of a pencil eraser! Now i'm nervous and have to check my smoker for mouse turds, right before a bacon cold smoke no less!!!

Last edited:
National Sanitation Foundation, and appears on many items used in food preparation.  It is a strong selling point for many consumers.

Last edited:
NSF International (formerly known as the National Sanitation Foundation) is an independent, non-profit organization that certifies food service equipment and ensures it is designed and constructed in a way that promotes food safety.

Don't confuse it with the national science foundation. 
The NSF logo is usually used to promote food ware. It does not mean a lot. 

One of those things that is nice to have but not necessary.    Jted

What does NSF certified mean?

Last edited:
Thanks, Jted! Now I guess I am confused. I've had a #2 for a couple years and it is coated on the inside with creosote. I've never really tried to clean it, but it certainly can't be classified as "sanitary".

I also own a Big Green Egg and maybe once a year I build a very hot fire and burn off the accumulated creosote. That raises the question of how people clean the accumulated creosote in their Smokin-It smokers, or if they clean them at all?

Thanks, Jted! Now I guess I am confused. I've had a #2 for a couple years and it is coated on the inside with creosote. I've never really tried to clean it, but it certainly can't be classified as "sanitary".

I also own a Big Green Egg and maybe once a year I build a very hot fire and burn off the accumulated creosote. That raises the question of how people clean the accumulated creosote in their Smokin-It smokers, or if they clean them at all?
 Woo Bocaboy Don't jump to conclusions about a smoker being seasoned and creosote. Creosote is bad nasty smelling and bitter.Seasoning is on the other hand is nice and good smelling  if it has a smell at all it will smell like a smoker.

Seasoning is developed slowly during a number of cooks. it is residua from TBS and the oils from you smokes. I am sure others will weigh in on this but this is my take.

Several years of seasoning on the sides is ok. This is not your inside oven we are talking about. This is the same as a BBQ pit. I have seen very old restaurant Pitts that have never been cleaned. 

Clean your grates and you will be fine. Some put them in their dish washer some like me get after them with a Brillo pad. Just clean you grates well. It is not like BBQ grill that you can heat up to 5 or 6 hundred degrees and burn it off. Jted

Last edited:

I use an MES, but like a Smokin-It, all you have to do is keep your meat away from the walls & ceiling of your smoker, and wash the racks that you lay the meat on. That way the seasoning will not touch your food.

Bear

Last edited:
I have a Cookshack and it is well seasoned. About all I do is brush off any loose "seasoning" from the walls, door and ceiling. By brushing it can be one of those stiff kitchen brushes or a rough cloth, and it is done a few days after the last smoke, or just before I smoke. Only the loose stuff.  No scrubbing with soap and water or anything else. I suppose if I wanted it spic and span clean, I could use oven cleaner, and since to ensure no cleaning residue remained but then I would have to re-season it.  Like Bear said, the racks are cleaned thoroughly, and I make sure the meat never touches the interior walls.    Your smoker is sturdy so you could get a thin flexible putty knife and while still warm, shave/peel off some of the thicker deposits. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky