SMOKIN-IT SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thanks. I was just curious about the smoke ring. I thought about it once for about 15 seconds but never worried about it personally. I have heard a few folks say they get them with electrics,I was just curious is you had some method for producing one. Just curiosity. 

As for wood, I have been using the AMNPS, but of late I have had some issues with keeping it lit. I find them to be very sensitive to humidity and we have it in spades here in the Houston area (just like everywhere else on the Gulf Coast). In fact if it is raining I don't even bother anymore. And yes I have tried everything suggested here and the only thing that works is to bake them for an hour or so. That is counter to what I am after with my Smokin-It electric since that means I have to add another step and as stated in my post above, I am an incredibly lazy smoker. I have gone back to using Fruitawood, which I highly recommend. 

Edit Add:

I have noticed a contributing factor also for the pellets is whether or not the meat has been rubbed the night before. When I rub the night before the salt draws out some excess moisture. If I don't rub the night before, I find the meat renders lots of water and causes a lot of steaming in the smoker contributing to the the pellets staying lit, or so I hypothesize. Sometimes it even inhibits the ability of the smoker get above the 225* mark for the first 60-90 minutes. I still get good bark but it is a tad better if the meat is purged of its excess moisture by rubbing and a refer nap overnight. 
I have an AMNPS and an AMNTS and I only use them for cold smoking and they work great for this application. I don't see the point in using them for traditional smokes. For regular smokes, I use chunks, chips, pellets, or a combination in my standard smoke box. Using the combo method gives a nice long extended smoke with no worries about whether it will stay lit or not. For some smokers the A-MAZE-N smokers have a bigger place. But, my opinion is that they are best used for cold smoking with the Smokin-It / CookShack style smokers.

My experience is a little different. I now use the AMPS for all of my smoking. I think it is personal preference. For me, I found that when using the smoke box that comes with the unit the wood chunks seemed to burn up fairly quickly resulting in a lot of white smoke during the first hours of the cook time. Although the results were acceptable, not near the quality of what my stick burner would produce. With the AMPS, I now have what I think is the perfect smoke stream that last the duration of most of my cook times, more in line with a stick burner. Completely full, I can get 11 hours of, what can be described best as a constant trickle of thin blue smoke. For me this made all the difference in the world in the quality of my smokes. But, like I said, I believe it comes down to personal preference. Also, not everyone wants to mod their Smoking IT to be able to use one. Now my Big Green Egg softly weeps.:-)

I totally agree with you Winz that it is a personal preference.

For me, I don't really need or want smoke for 11 hours on most of my smokes.

Smoke can only be absorbed until the internal temp of the meat hits about 140 degrees. After this point the smoke tends to build up on the meat and can become bitter.

I know what you are talking about with the wood burning up right away, but we on the www.smokinitforums.com have found some ways to eliminate or reduce this. There are a couple of methods:

1. Ramp up your temp instead of going full blast from the beginning. This is my preference. What I do is start my smoke with cold meat in a cold smoker (to get the most amount of smoke before the IT hits 140) at 140 degrees. Then, after 45 minutes, I turn the heat up to 225 or whatever smoking temp I am going to use. What this does is get the wood smoldering and before it combusts shuts off the heating element and lets the wood smolder instead of catch fire. Then when the element hits it again, it is less likely to combust.

2. Wrap the bottom half of your wood chunks in foil and run at 225 or your temp of choice. This method works similar to method one in that it helps prevent the wood from combusting.

These options will prevent the combustion of your wood and short smoke times. Using method one with chunks, I easily get smoke for 5-6 hours which is plenty of smoke for me.

I know the A-MAZE-N is really popular here and I like it too (I have two of them), and many of you are getting great results from using them with all of your smokes. I am certainly not saying that this method is wrong by any means, because results are all that matters. I have just found that I prefer to only use them for my cold smokes for the reasons I have listed here.

Happy smoking to all no matter how you apply your smoke. :)

My experience is a little different. I now use the AMPS for all of my smoking. I think it is personal preference. For me, I found that when using the smoke box that comes with the unit the wood chunks seemed to burn up fairly quickly resulting in a lot of white smoke during the first hours of the cook time. Although the results were acceptable, not near the quality of what my stick burner would produce. With the AMPS, I now have what I think is the perfect smoke stream that last the duration of most of my cook times, more in line with a stick burner. Completely full, I can get 11 hours of, what can be described best as a constant trickle of thin blue smoke. For me this made all the difference in the world in the quality of my smokes. But, like I said, I believe it comes down to personal preference. Also, not everyone wants to mod their Smoking IT to be able to use one. Now my Big Green Egg softly weeps.:-)

Yep, I too had some issues with heavy acrid smoke. I stopped doing yard bird altogether because of it. And I tried everything, literally. I researched the subject ad nauseum. If you think to yourself "hey I wonder if he tried this" or he should do this; I've tried it. Now, I do use the dust for chicken but I don't find I get enough smoke flavor for red meat from dust. And I use the dust for cold smoking with the use of a fan blowing under the smoker(I have it mounted on a wire type cart which facilitates airflow), but I don't have juices dripping from sausage or lox so I can do this since I don't need the drip pan. Not so with briskly and ribs, etc. gotta have the drip pan in place.

BTW I have 4 extra holes in the bottom of my #2 not counting the drain hole. I set the AMNPS right on top of those holes. Still have issues sometimes. Store the pellets inside too.

I have gotten good at being able to tell if the pellets will stay lit now. When I light them for the 10 min ramp up, I can tell if they are going to work in the smoker. If I have doubts I just go t the Fruitawood chunks. I ramp up the temp with my PID and reduce the thick smoke period enough that I still get great smokes. In fact I can tell little difference in the flavor since I have gotten the amount of wood I need dialed in.

Well I have not used that electric smoker.

I have a question, I am looking at trying out some different sausage rec I purchased a high copacity meet grinder, have everything lined up just need some good proved rec! Does anyone have sausage rec to make for Beef Pork or Chicken ?

This is a thread for a smokin it smoker.

There is a search button at the top of the website. Search sausage recipes and types of MEAT. Meet won't get you far.

:welcome1:

Well I have not used that electric smoker.

I have a question, I am looking at trying out some different sausage rec I purchased a high copacity meet grinder, have everything lined up just need some good proved rec! Does anyone have sausage rec to make for Beef Pork or Chicken ?

We have an entire sausage sub forum here with tons of great stuff. Also, I use the Marianski book. Great stuff in that.

So I ran some tests today. My #1 seems to produce nothing but white smoke. I added a 1/2 oz. apple wood mini chunk. Looking closely it produced little smoke But it was still white.

After the dry run, I took the chunk out and it smelled bitter like my smoker. Will fruitwood help produce blue smoke in these things?

Thanks, Jon D

Oh and as a helpful tip to others, its not ideal, but I just finish all my cooks with a 30 minute smoke at the end. That just seems to work best for me. No real bark unless you add sugar to the rub, but flavorwise it tastes better than bitter.

I never get blue smoke no matter what. I go by the smell of the smoke. I wouldn't go by the smell of the burnt wood necessarily. After all it has to burn to produce smoke. I don't think there is enough air in these smokers to allow for reL TBS.

Fruitawood will help and is much better wood that store bought. You will need to slowly ramp up the temp to help too.

You are describing the reason I embarked on my AMZNPS journey.

No problem here I have an Si 3 and use an AMZNS I remove the wood box set a metal plate on the two rails for the AMZNS to sit on I have used the pit master and Alder dust both make TBS for me. make sure your drain/ air hole is open, I use a tapered 3/8" punch and drop it in from the inside.

hope this helps

fv bounty hunter

Reactions: wingzofsteel
Oh and as a helpful tip to others, its not ideal, but I just finish all my cooks with a 30 minute smoke at the end. That just seems to work best for me. No real bark unless you add sugar to the rub, but flavorwise it tastes better than bitter.

Scroll up and look at a few of my pics on bark. I use little or no sugar and get outstanding bark

I just bought a #3 last week, actually drove to the warehouse to pick it up in person, met the owner Steve who was just a super nice guy!  He loaded everything up, threw in a couple freebies and I was on my way!  Will be seasoning it this weekend and hopefully throwing some ribs on it soon!!

Rich it is always nice to see another person from Michigan on here, and just curious where in S.E. Michigan and the thumb are you located .

Rich it is always nice to see another person from Michigan on here, and just curious where in S.E. Michigan and the thumb are you located .
During the week I live in Warren, pretty much every weekend we're up at Forester which is just a few miles north of Port Sanilac.  That's where the smoker will live since we are there every weekend and several weeks in the summer.

Last edited:
Would the use of a James Jerkey help with the oxygen flow when using the AMNPS instead of drillin holes?
When I use the AMNPS, I use the Jerkey fan to ensure the AMNPS starts off good.  I noticed that if I turned the fan off afterwards, the AMNPS still works fine.  As a matter of fact, the fan shorted out on me the first time I used it and the AMNPS ran the entire time.

Maybe it was all the times I tried to make the AMNPS work with the MES40 that enables me to so easily use it with my SI#4 :)

I place the AMNPS in front of the element and over the hole.  I place a rack above it and place aluminum foil right above the AMNPS to prevent any drips from putting out the ember.

Yes, I am very glad I got rid of my MES40 and bought the SI#4

When I use the AMNPS, I use the Jerkey fan to ensure the AMNPS starts off good.  I noticed that if I turned the fan off afterwards, the AMNPS still works fine.  As a matter of fact, the fan shorted out on me the first time I used it and the AMNPS ran the entire time.

Maybe it was all the times I tried to make the AMNPS work with the MES40 that enables me to so easily use it with my SI#4 :)

I place the AMNPS in front of the element and over the hole.  I place a rack above it and place aluminum foil right above the AMNPS to prevent any drips from putting out the ember.

Yes, I am very glad I got rid of my MES40 and bought the SI#4
You got it nailed there, Paidin !!!

Looks like a good place for it !!

Bear

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky