SMOKIN-IT SMOKER

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well folks, I took delivery tonight of a brand spanking new Smokin-it Model 3D. I was impressed with the SI smoker since I first saw my brother's model 3 in 2012. The quality is first rate.  And now with the integrated digital controller, I am very impressed.  Looking forward to many years of great Q. 

I got myself a SI #3D at the new year after my MES30 burnt up (the wiring to the element).  I've been very pleased so far.  Like many have already said so far, it is very economical on wood - takes only about 3-6 oz wood chunk per smoke.  Most of my issues have been BECAUSE of the tight heat control - mainly on "warm smokes" (at about 180*, so it's not a cold smoke and not really a hot smoke) and trying to get the wood to smolder/smoke.  I decided (on recommendation) to use my Amazen tube at the lower temperatures, and it worked like a charm today when I smoked a ton of jalapenos and garlic.  Excellent buy, awesome build quality - I expect this one to last for a long time.

If anyone is interested (I posted on the SI site as well), the 26" Craftsman rolling tool cabinet from Sears is a perfect fit for the #3D and provides lots of great storage for racks, utensils, foil rolls, and wood.  Here it is:

There is even enough clearance for the drip pan underneath:

I only sat the smoker on top of the cabinet, but I am considering drilling some holes and bolting them together...but I'm not sure it's really all that necessary.

How do you load chips or chunks of wood. I like my Masterbuilt because I don't have to open the door thus losing precious temperature and time. Plus it works great and was less money. Not sure what SS gets you other than looks. It will eventually discolor anyway.

Unlike the MES, it is well insulated like an oven. Yes, you open the door but it bounces right back to temp in no time.

Idaholover - You put wood in at the beginning of the smoke and close the door. No  real need to add more wood during the smoke.  It only takes a couple of ounces, typically in chunk form, to produce a wonderful smokey tasting product. Like my Cookshack, SI is a very efficient smoker but at a better price point. Should you open the door to wrap or baste,  ( or just to look) recovery time is  very quick. I have talked about the smokers from SI for a few years now, based upon the smoker my brother owns and uses and my experiences there.  From now on, any comments I make will be from my own backyard experience.

I read that the temperature in one of these holds the set temp within 3 degrees, which is great.  What I want to know is how much temperature difference is there from shelf to shelf?

I also see that the shelves aren't really big enough for a full sized brisket.  I would think for $1700 you could get a whole brisket in. ;)

I read that the temperature in one of these holds the set temp within 3 degrees, which is great.  What I want to know is how much temperature difference is there from shelf to shelf?

I also see that the shelves aren't really big enough for a full sized brisket.  I would think for $1700 you could get a whole brisket in. ;)
I've never measured shelf-to-shelf temps, but have never had a problem with anything cooking differently enough to make a difference, between shelves.  You said you see the shelves aren't really big enough for full briskets:  Where do you buy your briskets?  I've never found one that wouldn't fit in the 21 1/2" depth of the model 3!  Btw, the price on the 3D is $699; the 4D is $1699.  The shelves on the 4D are 18 1/2" x 22"...not much you can smoke that won't fit on that!  It's a monster, and really more for commercial applications. 

Oh, and temps, on the D models, hold within 1-2 degrees, but mostly dead-on.

I've never measured shelf-to-shelf temps, but have never had a problem with anything cooking differently enough to make a difference, between shelves.  You said you see the shelves aren't really big enough for full briskets:  Where do you buy your briskets?  I've never found one that wouldn't fit in the 21 1/2" depth of the model 3!  Btw, the price on the 3D is $699; the 4D is $1699.  The shelves on the 4D are 18 1/2" x 22"...not much you can smoke that won't fit on that!  It's a monster, and really more for commercial applications. 

Oh, and temps, on the D models, hold within 1-2 degrees, but mostly dead-on.
In fairness to my comment about a brisket fitting, I was at Restaurant Depot last Saturday and I picked up a couple of briskets that, just eyeballing them, and comparing to my tape measure when I saw the size of this smoker and grabbed it to see how big that is, it just seemed like the full packer brisket was longer than 22".

The thing I HATE about my MES is that the temps are so all over the place between shelves.  I want a smoker that I can load with briskets, pulled pork, turkey, chicken, whatever and have every place be the same temperature and that the temperature will stay right where I set it.

Will these units produce a smoke ring?  I know it does nothing for flavor, but it sure looks nice, right?

Thanks for the reply, DivotMaker. :)

No smoke ring because it is electric. I have read here and elsewhere that some will place a piece or two of charcoal in the smoker but don't recall reading about any success. Also read about faking it with nitrate or nitrite solution like you would use when doing bacon or a ham. I was always able to get a great smoke ring with my Brinkmann but never with an electric.

Last edited:
Seasoned on Saturday; Sunday dinner - ribs - in the smoker. 

Update:  Ribs were as good as anything I ever got out of my Cookshack.  Just excellent with no fuss.

Last edited:
I guess I will ad my two cents worth here :) Late to the party as usual

I have years of experience cooking on different devices. Sarge and DM have seen some of my cooks over at the SI forum so this is old news to them. The Smokin-It Smoker is my FAVORITE smoker to use. It's not because it's so damn easy to use, it's that it can make great food! The easy part is just a bonus. I own 3 Kamados and 2 pellet grills and soon a Pit Barrel Cooker and I've used offset smokers and may in time buy another stick burner and out of all that, the SI is my go to for briskets and butts! Crazy ain't it? Nah...not really. Some say it's not BBQ if you're not using a wood fire, let them be stuborn! I used to be that way, I turned my nose up at the thought of using an outdoor "oven". Curiosity got the better of me and I LOVE trying new cookers and new methods so I bought one. I am happier than a puppy with 2 peters that I bought it, very well made piece of equipment.

As for the smoke ring thing......I'm with ya. It looks great but you're not getting it on an electric smoker. BUT (I know you're not supposed to start a sentence with but, but who cares?)..........you can fake it like Sarge said above. I do this on my briskets and it works well. Buy yourself some Morton's Tender Quick, sprinkle it on your brisket and rub it in evenly and let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then rinse it off completely. Pat your brisket dry, apply your rub and smoke it in your SI (#3 or larger, it WILL hold full packers) and smoke it with 5-6oz of wood and you've got yourself a nice juicy brisket with a SMOKE RING. No one will be the wiser ;)

Here's one I did for my Wife on Valentine's Day

Here's one I did last weekend

So.....all I can say is getcha one!!

Hi there. Me again. I'm leaning towards getting one of these as we are being requested to cater some events from people trying the food from our MES 40. I'm still concerned about a couple of things.

1: The temperature differences between shelves. I want a smoker that I can set at the temperature I want, load with 10 racks of ribs or 5 packer briskets or 8-10 pork butts, etc and walk away until they are done without the temps fluctuating +\- 15 degrees. Am I dreaming or do I have to custom build a smoker with one rack only to accomplish that?

2: Instead of using chunks, will the AMAZEN Pellet Smoker work inside one of these units? I could RARELY keep mine lit in my MES 40 before I did the mailbox modification. Do these units produce thin blue smoke?

3: Just curious, but where is the exhaust on one of these?

Thanks in advance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky