Smokin' fun in Upstate NY !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

willow0325

Original poster
Oct 27, 2013
Rochester, NY
Good morning to all from chilly upstate New York.  Checking in with temps at 39 degrees .... BRRRRR, baby, but we'll have the smoker going today despite the chilly Fall startup.  I'm definitely a BBQ/smoking newby, though have been a darn good cook (if I must say so myself!) for 20+ years.  My new smoking addiction started about a year ago when we judged at a huge BBQ event in Rochester, NY and instantly knew I had to learn more and get the fun started.  A gift of an electric smoker came just a couple months ago and though I know it's not nearly as adventuresome as "real smokin' " , I've got to start somewhere, right??!  So I'm here to learn and absorb all the great info that you true experts have.  Thanks so much! 

Willow
welcome1.gif

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

Welcome to the forums!  You've found the best place I know for sharing ideas on smoking, grilling, curing, etc.  There are plenty of friendly, knowledgeable folks here who really enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input here, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything   .........  Man does that look good, giving out samples ?
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Welcome from Canada!

Har, 39 F brr? We would kill for 39 F up here in the Canadian Rockies.

You have come to a great place to learn about smoking. I just started last year and I have learned so much from the informative posts and kind members.

I look forward to your posts.

Disco

Don't berate that little electric.... when its cold outside and you are safely tucked into that nice warm comfy bed you'll appreciate it's advantages!

Nice to meeet ya willow, a couple of quick suggestions, jump in your profile and update it, especially where ya hail from on this big rock. It will keep you for having to answer that question a hundred times.

Secondly, get a dedicated notebook to keep your smoke information in, its like a sniper's kill book. It allows you to remember what you liked and didn't like with the last smoke andd the suggestions you'd make to yourself for the next. Wouldn't it be terrible if you hit that perfect smoke the first time and not knowing it forgot to right it down?

Heres some pages to help you get an idea,

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/attachments/3

Well again, nice to meet you and look forward to seeing your smokes.

Last edited:
Hi Willow,

welcome1.gif
 to the SMF, the best BBQ site on the web.  Whatever you need to know about the fine art of BBQ you can find it right here, from recipes to technical knowledge.

One thing you need to know about us is that we like to see pictures of your creations and your gear.  We call it Q-View and its basically the 
Rules.gif
!!!

So, don't just talk about your food, show it!  Otherwise you may get a gentle reminder, like this...

worthless.gif
  or this...
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

Good Luck and Get Smokin'

Bill

Good morning, all !  Thanks for the warm welcome!  My weekdays are quite full with work so it only leaves a bit of time on weekends to check in here.  I love the suggestion of a notebook and I'm all set to go on that now.  Thanks for the great suggestion!  I do have a pic of the turkey that I smoked a couple weeks ago - wow, I've got to say, it was the best I've ever had.  Yay me!!!  Now if I could figure out how to upload the pic from my phone, I'll be all set.

Today I'll put the flower gardens to bed for the winter and, the better part, put a ham in the smoker.  I'll do some searching here on suggestions, etc.  Even though it's a fully cooked ham, I'm giving it a try for the Thanksgiving menu.  (to go along with another turkey, of course!)

Hope you all have a great day and thanks again !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky