Smokey The Bear says

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I likeey! Looks good Case!

I haven't done a meat loaf on the smoker yet, might have to pass one by the fam and see what they think!

Just from what you did there, would you recommend a less lean mix, say 75 / 25, or is the 80 / 20 the best bet?

-Pete
I prefer to use 80/20 when doing beef. By cooking directly on the grate you will lose a bunch of the fat as it drips away. There was probably 2 cups of fat drippings in the foiled water pan.  If you go with less fat you will need to add more binder. Which adds more fat and or carbs back in.

I do make meatloaf with ground turkey so lower fat content can work.

I prefer to use 80/20 when doing beef. By cooking directly on the grate you will lose a bunch of the fat as it drips away. There was probably 2 cups of fat drippings in the foiled water pan.  If you go with less fat you will need to add more binder. Which adds more fat and or carbs back in.

Ooops I see you were going the other direction with more fat not less. Sure you could, but I don't see any reason too. Plenty of moisture in these loafs. I do like to add sausage (Italian, hot, etc). Usually do a 50/50 mix.

Outstanding loafs Case! Looks like perfection to me! The Mrs is on a low carb kick right now and she is dragging me along with her. Ok... not really dragging because I am coming along peacefully on my own accord.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Going to have to try this with the cauliflower, but, no quinoa.

We did get a little sprinkle of rain last night! I thought that might clear some smoke but it didn't.

Gotta have some points! That sammie looks fantastic too!

Thank you!
How long did that end up taking total on the wsm? In going to do a 2.5 lb today .

I think my smoker will run 240 most of the time.. wonder if 6 hours will be good.

Last edited:
Don't know how I missed this! Great looking loaf. I hope the smoke is getting better over there. Yesterday was the first day we saw blue sky in some time.

You'll probably be closer to 2 hours. They don't take too long.

Oh good.. thanks.. I'm going to be using some hot spicy Jimmy Dean sausage with the 80/20, Some onion and green bell pepper . I will pre cook those in butter a few so they won't be to crunchy at the end. Stale bread and milk..egg and maybe a tad of sauce on top ..

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky