Smoked whole lamb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
Buterflied and seasoned a 20 lb lamb.
PXL_20231216_025051944.jpg

PXL_20231216_025502865.MP.jpg

Planning to put on the smoker at 8 am. Planning to run at 275 with Russian olive wood. Going for 3 pm eating time. Rush me luck. Open to mop and sauce recipe suggestions still.
Seasoned with salt and pepper. Everyone coming over loves lamb, so no need to try to hide the flavor.

If you had told me 5 years ago I'd be washing my hatchet and hammer in the kitchen sink, I'dve called you crazy!
PXL_20231216_023511513.jpg

Watching. I’ve thought about getting one to butcher. Had some chops on Wed. I’d only had mutton an aunt roasted years ago never had lamb til I bought some chops last year, and we like it.

Reactions: Hockeydudde
It was a brisk and picturesque start to the morning. 21 F start at dawn.

PXL_20231216_140513904.jpg

Set up 2 water pans in the bottom and one right under the ribs/loin trying to slow the cooking of the thinner areas. Had the meat on 15 minutes before target despite the frozen wood. Threw in a few heads and have a couple hearts and a tongue that will go on later.

PXL_20231216_145040017.jpg

Planning to flip in 3 hours. Presentation will be bones down. If it goes well, I'll just have guests pick off the carcass.

Planning to mop but not sure when to start. Never mopped anything before. Any advice?
Planning every 20 -30 minutes depending on how it looks.

For me this on the web. I think this would be a good base for mopping lamb.Includes rosemary and oregano which to me are essential for lamb. Probably need to scale amounts up for as much as you are doing.
"In a food processor, combine 2 cups italian dressing, 3/4 cup lemon juice, about 4-6 garlic cloves and the leaves from 2 large sprigs of rosemary(about 3-4 tablespoons of leaves) when everything is chopped up, add 3/4 cup of lemon juice and a teaspoon of oregano. When it comes out of the food processor it should be pretty thick. Lemon juice will thin it a little, but then just either slather it on a roast or let it sit a rack in a bag for a while.

2 hours in. 128 in the legs (rear). 156 in the shoulder. I wanted the shoulder to lead, but not that much. Shifted the water pans to try to even the temp a little bit. Going to flip in 1 hour, if the temps aren't more even, I'll rotate 180 deg.
PXL_20231216_165953134.MP.jpg

Mopped for the first time. jcam222 jcam222 sounded good, but I didn't have most of them ingredients. I did.
- 1 stick butter
-2 cups ACV
-1 head garlic
-2 tsp salt
-4 tsp ground pepper
-12 fresh sage leaves
-6" rosemary sprig
Blend till smooth.
PXL_20231216_165726234.jpg

Made an herb "mop" with sage and rosemary.

Buterflied and seasoned a 20 lb lamb.
View attachment 683467

View attachment 683466
Planning to put on the smoker at 8 am. Planning to run at 275 with Russian olive wood. Going for 3 pm eating time. Rush me luck. Open to mop and sauce recipe suggestions still.
Seasoned with salt and pepper. Everyone coming over loves lamb, so no need to try to hide the flavor.

If you had told me 5 years ago I'd be washing my hatchet and hammer in the kitchen sink, I'dve called you crazy!
View attachment 683468
That’s awesome !!

Company showed up so want able to continue to provide the play by play.
After I ran out of the original mop, I mopped for about 2 hours with just vinegar then didn't want to get to sour so mopped the last hour or so with peanut oil.

Pulled it because we were hungry, could have gone longer. Shoulder was solid probe tender. Ribs were splitting and falling off the bone. Leg felt a little tight, but decided to risk it. Final leg temp was 185 F.
PXL_20231216_234403482.MP.jpg

I'll post a full assessment tomorrow, but overall it was great! Moist tender and great flavor.
PXL_20231217_002623771.jpg

PXL_20231217_002602763.jpg

Served in freshly made corn tortillas, sauce, slaw, beans and salad.
PXL_20231217_000128448.jpg

Just impressive right there!!!!

It looks very tasty! Nice work! I would have been full doing taste tests!

That’s just incredible. Super nice work. I like to mop my lamb with a lemon based mop, more Greek style. It works perfectly with lamb. Your process and mop look very delicious to me and that lamb was young, that’s a big key for me. Again nice work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky