smoked tri tip just like brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Mattyt7

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2018
Let me start with why, on occasion, i smoke tri tip like a brisket instead of just smoking a brisket. I know tri tip is not easily found in most parts, but here in Southern California you can pick it up at just about any grocery store. Brisket is more difficult to find (but getting easier), especially untrimmed. Another reason I’ve sometimes done tri tip like brisket is that I’m generally only cooking for a few people (3-5 usually), so a 10-12 pound (after trimming) brisket is kind of overkill. Though, there is a price difference, by the time you trim the brisket (including the thin parts of the flat and any other scraps that are going to dry up and burn anyway) I think it’s in the same ballpark.
Back to the reason for the thread . . . I wanted to share the method with others and hear from others who may have done something similar.
I start off with an untrimmed tri tip, usually about 3 pounds or so. I like untrimmed because I can leave a bit of the fat cap on just like I do for a brisket, though it’s not entirely necessary for tri tip because of the higher fat content in the meat itself. I then apply an Aaron Franklin style salt and pepper rub (about a 1/2 teaspoon of each per pound). I put the meat on the smoker at 225-250 and cook for 5 hours or so. Then wrap in butcher paper and back to the smoker for about 3 hours. At this point it’s probed tender at an IT of about 190 (brisket I usually take up to 200-203). From there, it’s wrapped in towels and into the cooler for 2-4 hours before slicing.
When done well, brisket can’t be beat. But getting brisket just right every time is difficult. Tri tip on the other hand, in my experience, is very forgiving.
Let me know what you all think! If the thread shows some interest, I’ll post some pictures next time I do it, possibly as soon as Saturday.

I only see tri-tip every once in a great moon. Even then they are usually small and very expensive. I wonder why they aren't more readily available across the country. I do chuckies the same way as brisket, but that's my closest comparison and I don't even know how close a comparison it is. I'd be interested in seeing some pic's.

Chris

My TT source sells beautifully trimmed roasts that are labeled angus. I would like to try some untrimmed just to see that fat render. We take ours rev seared to med rare with lump and a chunk of oak. T7, I get the portion control dilemma, but I just don’t have the heart to emulate Aaron Franklin with such a naturally tender, juicy and beefy tasting cut like TT.

For me that would be way over done!
I like my Tri-tip, med/rare, so the finish IT would be around 135, not 190.
Then sliced cross grain!
Al
That is definitely the conventional way to do tri tip. And I still cook it that way as well. If you were to cook tri tip to medium well and up it would be very tough, thus it’s generally served medium rare.
But if you take it all the way up to 190 you can acheive the same tenderness and similar flavors you get from brisket.

My TT source sells beautifully trimmed roasts that are labeled angus. I would like to try some untrimmed just to see that fat render. We take ours rev seared to med rare with lump and a chunk of oak. T7, I get the portion control dilemma, but I just don’t have the heart to emulate Aaron Franklin with such a naturally tender, juicy and beefy tasting cut like TT.
When I do cook TT this way, it’s not so much that I’m looking for a new way to cook it. It’s more about trying to get that pull apart, Smokey tenderness you can get from brisket but in a more manageable size and readily available (for me) cut of meat. The flavor and texture you get from cooking TT this way is significantly different than the conventional medium rare.

I only see tri-tip every once in a great moon. Even then they are usually small and very expensive. I wonder why they aren't more readily available across the country. I do chuckies the same way as brisket, but that's my closest comparison and I don't even know how close a comparison it is. I'd be interested in seeing some pic's.

Chris
Around here the untrimmed TT is about $5.99/lb and brisket packers are $2.99-$3.49/lb. But the fat cap in the TT is probably only 10% of total, where the brisket fat cap is more like 30% or more. So the TT will still be more expensive per pound of meat, but for my needs it’s more efficient.

I think everyone would be surprised by the result. The biggest obstacle for some will be the price difference and availability, both depending on region.

This thread has me interested in giving it a try. I've grilled and smoked a lot of TTs, but never like a brisket. I like the out of the box thinking. I can usually get Choice TTs for $2.98/lb or less. Just might have to try it this weekend.

This thread has me interested in giving it a try. I've grilled and smoked a lot of TTs, but never like a brisket. I like the out of the box thinking. I can usually get Choice TTs for $2.98/lb or less. Just might have to try it this weekend.

That’s a great price! Let me know how it turns out!

Honestly when I read this I thought to myself that it would turn out like an old boot. Last year my local store was carrying tri tips, but I haven't seen them in a while. They usually ran about $12. I would be willing to sacrifice that to give this a try.

Out here in CA untrimmed T.T. cost less then hamburger meat.
I normally buy 4 to 6 when they go on sale and grind a few then save then rest for the Q.
I'm going to try this for sure, thanks for the idea.

Should have picked up those Choice grade TTs last week. They were Select grade this week. Still, picked up a couple at $2.98/lb. Schedule is weird so into the freezer, will thaw and smoke like a brisket next week.

Here in Central California Costco sells tri-tips, two to a package, for next to nothing. Tri-tip is so much in demand that they sell it in both choice and prime grades.

I've smoked a lot of tri-tip, because it is so easy, and also very tasty. I always do it like Al says, basically treating it like a roast, and cooking it on the rare side (130-135). I use Jeff's Texas rub, and usually add some additional pepper. I smoke it at 230 - 250, depending on my mood. I then cool it and slice it super thin. While it is cooling, I slice a few onions super thin on the mandolin, and saute them in butter until they are dark brown and reduced to about 20% of their original volume. I serve on a roll with sour cream/horseradish/mayonaise spread.

You cannot have too much pepper, horseradish, or grilled onion on a tri-tip sandwich.

I am planning to do some tri-tip the next time I get to Costco (it's a long trip), but this time I'm going to smoke it in my Weber grill and do it on the rotisserie. It is hard to beat the way a rotisserie cooks a "roast." I'll do it with both tri-tips on the spit, with the two tails facing each other, tied together, so the two roast together are uniform width across the entire length of the spit.

I don't think I'd want to cook a tri-tip to "pulling temperature" of 190+ because it is actually a pretty lean cut, once you trim off the fat cap (i.e., not much marbeling). It is a little tough when cooked to 135, but slicing it on the Chef's Choice slicer takes care of that.

Last edited:
I've been traveling, and have been itching to try this brisket smoked tri tip.

We had a tri tip at a relative's house on Saturday night. It was Select grade and he gas grilled it with indirect heat to an IT of 150F, then browned it in the oven. Trust me, I was itching to ask why he did it that way, but there were more serious family issues going on than how dinner was being prepared. IT was 165F when he took it out of the oven. He called it "medium rare." It was well done and I expected shoe leather, but the meat was almost fork tender! I just shook my head and asked for seconds.

I've got two tri tips thawing in the fridge. They'll probably be ready to smoke on Wednesday.

I've been traveling, and have been itching to try this brisket smoked tri tip.

We had a tri tip at a relative's house on Saturday night. It was Select grade and he gas grilled it with indirect heat to an IT of 150F, then browned it in the oven. Trust me, I was itching to ask why he did it that way, but there were more serious family issues going on than how dinner was being prepared. IT was 165F when he took it out of the oven. He called it "medium rare." It was well done and I expected shoe leather, but the meat was almost fork tender! I just shook my head and asked for seconds.

I've got two tri tips thawing in the fridge. They'll probably be ready to smoke on Wednesday.

That’s interesting, I would think 165 would be right in the middle of that temperature window where it’s too well done to be tender and juicy, but not done well enough to start breaking down again. . . But if it works, it works!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky