smoked tri tip just like brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Finally getting around to trying this. I have a 3.6 lb, 8 hour dry brined, trimmed TT in the WSM as I type. Butcher paper arrived yesterday. I will take the meat to 190F IT using the OP's process.

Later today, I'm going to put another 3.6 lb, dry brined, trimmed TT in the Kettle. I'm going to try and duplicate my relative's results described in an earlier post.

In the last 35 years, I've grilled and oven roasted probably two TT's a month on average. That's being conservative because I've done ten in a weekend before for parties. I've never grilled, smoked, or oven roasted a TT like I am doing for either above. I'm an old dog learning new tricks. If either fails, I'll have lots of TT to make chili!

Reactions: Traeger.Rage.BBQ
Okay, shoot me because I forgot to take a picture before I wrapped the TT in butcher paper after 5 hours on the WSM at 220-225F chamber temp. What surprised me though, is there is absolutely no need to reverse sear the smoked TT. Man, it was friggin' beautiful! RO Ridge, hickory and cherry wood. I'll try to remember to take a pic when it is done at 190F. IT was 158F when I wrapped it in butcher paper.

Just now loading the other TT on my grill for a late, late lunch. Used an overfull small chimney of hot new/used KBB then added hickory wood to the top of the hot charcoal. Loaded the TT on the indirect side. Will grill/smoke for 30 minutes, flip, then grill/smoke until IT is 150-155F. Will follow that with a reverse sear for a couple minutes a side; one minute at a time, flip, repeat.

This should be interesting.

Last edited:
OHHHH.........MYYYY........GODDDD! Smoked Tri Tip to 190F IT is AWESOME! Practically melt in your mouth tender and juicy. More like a flat than a point. I may never buy another brisket. Tri Tip was WAY too easy, and this was a SELECT grade tri tip.

Still in the butcher paper after coming off the smoker. Then rested for almost two hours under a pile of clean, old towels.
001.JPG

Sliced open and tasted. WOW! Trust me, I had my doubts. No more. THANKS, MATTY! Whodathunk?
002.JPG

hmmm... ok. I have a tri tip calling my name now. Thanks for the trial. So you pulled at 190* correct? Was it Jello like a brisket gets?

Thanks to both of you for this idea and thread, this looks absolutely amazing. Talk about a smoke ring. Me being from California as you know we have an abundance of tri tip cooked in many different ways. This is a first for me anyways seeing it done this way. I’m looking forward to doing this.

OHHHH.........MYYYY........GODDDD! Smoked Tri Tip to 190F IT is AWESOME! Practically melt in your mouth tender and juicy. More like a flat than a point. I may never buy another brisket. Tri Tip was WAY too easy, and this was a SELECT grade tri tip.

Still in the butcher paper after coming off the smoker. Then rested for almost two hours under a pile of clean, old towels.
View attachment 363389

Sliced open and tasted. WOW! Trust me, I had my doubts. No more. THANKS, MATTY! Whodathunk?
View attachment 363390

I appreciate you giving it a shot and glad you like it!

OK, you both have me looking for TT at Costco!

Damn I am going to have to start feeding the homeless with all the meat I have going in the smokers!

Last edited:
hmmm... ok. I have a tri tip calling my name now. Thanks for the trial. So you pulled at 190* correct? Was it Jello like a brisket gets?
Hey, Erik. Yes, I pulled it off the smoker when the IT was 190F. Was it jiggly like a brisket? No, more like a brick, and it DID NOT probe tender. Shrinkage was similar to a fully cooked brisket, but what zipped through my mind at that point is not printable here at SMF, and it was the reason I didn't grab the camera. As I was covering the butcher paper wrapped TT in foil to put under my resting towels, I was already thinking of ways I could use the brick in other dishes.

I fought the temptation to cut into it after an hour, then finally gave in about 1 hr and 40 or 50 minutes. The outside of the normal way I grill/smoke/roast TTs often has overdone edges. Cutting against the grain, the even the outside was tender and juicy. There was no TT flavor at all. It tasted like brisket, like the best flat you've ever had in your life, but just a little fattier. Not like a point at all, like something right in between.

My suggestion for those who want to try this: buy two TTs. Put them both on the smoker and smoke them both for 5 hours at 225F. My WSM was coasting at 220-225F. Take one off at that point, rest, and slice. It will still have a bit of the TT texture and flavor, but it will be more tender than the ones taken to 125-135F IT. Wrap the other one in butcher paper and smoke it to an IT of 190F. I think if you went any further it would start to crumble. Rest it, then slice. Shock would best describe the look on my face when I cut into the 190F TT and tasted it.

When I trimmed the TT's I trimmed them like a brisket, leaving about 1/4" of fat on the meat. Then I put the fat toward the heat. The rest is easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Traeger.Rage.BBQ
Thanks to both of you for this idea and thread, this looks absolutely amazing. Talk about a smoke ring. Me being from California as you know we have an abundance of tri tip cooked in many different ways. This is a first for me anyways seeing it done this way. I’m looking forward to doing this.
Cecil, I was introduced to TT back in 1985 in Los Angeles by a Navy buddy from Santa Maria, the self-proclaimed home of Tri Tip BBQ. He built a Santa Maria BBQ in his backyard out of cinderblocks and taught me the Santa Maria method, which I've played with over the decades. I never even imagined what tri tip smoked/grilled/or roasted to this level could taste like. All that changed due to Matty!

Cecil, I was introduced to TT back in 1985 in Los Angeles by a Navy buddy from Santa Maria, the self-proclaimed home of Tri Tip BBQ. He built a Santa Maria BBQ in his backyard out of cinderblocks and taught me the Santa Maria method, which I've played with over the decades. I never even imagined what tri tip smoked/grilled/or roasted to this level could taste like. All that changed due to Matty!
That’s very exciting, I’m doing one tomorrow.

Just picked up four more 3.5 to 4.5 lb Select grade TTs for $2.98/lb and stuck them in the freezer. Usually I trim off about 6 to 8 oz of fat. I may not trim these at all. I am itching to do this again.
I would love to get my hands on Tri tips that size. I’m lucky to see a TT over 2.5. Odd since I’m only two and half hours south of you

I shop at Winco. I don't think they have locations in your neck of the woods. The Winco where I shop puts all their biggest cuts on sale in a meat cooler near the entry door. Ive noticed that for tri tips, pork butts, and prime rib roasts. The tri tip cuts back in the meat department are all 2.5 to 2.8 lbs.

I ended up doing this last night by accident. I had a 2.1lb tri tip. First time cooking one. My buddy said they usually take about 2 hours to get to 105 and he then reverse sears them until 125. I checked mine at two hours and temps varied from 125-140. decided to run it up to 190. wrapped in butcher paper around 160. I figured I had nothing to lose as it would probably be dry if temp continued to rise after letting it rest. Turned out fantastic.
I will have to try one cooked to 130 and compare, but can't imagine it will taste better.

Wish I would have snapped a couple photo's

This thread has been killing me to watch. Now Jeff's newsletter features doing a tri-tip. I cant take it any longer!
And I just did a regular (130' IT) smoke last Friday while camping that was one of the best ones I have ever had. But I think there will be another tri-tip in my smoker this weekend doing the high temp method. <sigh!>

I have already got three tri tips in my freezer of various sizes. They are all trimmed though. Not sure if this will work out as well with the trimmed ones but I have to give it a try. If it really does taste a lot like brisket then I'm golden :)

George

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky