Smoked salt help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Newtothegrounds

Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Canada/Ontaro
Hi all, a little while ago I tried to smoke some sea salt with my electric master build. I've notice when I've seen smoked salt around the internet it has a nice golden hue or honey colour to it. I've tried on 2 different occasions to make it and both times the salt has come out black is and not very tasty at all. Any help would be great! Thanks

Side not I don't have this issue smoking other things so far.

Attachments

• 20201007_105942.jpg
    20201007_105942.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 15
The type of wood and the length of smoke will determine the taste and color, you may also pu flavors from past cooks that will affect taste also

Have not tried it. Found this thread:

The type of wood and the length of smoke will determine the taste and color, you may also pu flavors from past cooks that will affect taste also
I've tried a few different types of wood with the same results. Smokers relatively clean Ive never had flavour transfer so far over the past few years. The only.other time I had this issue was trying to cold smoke cheese with amazin smoker tubes left that black burned taste same as the salt

I have a MES30 and use the A-MAZE-N 5x8 pellet maze which I believe was designed for this particular smoker, and have had no issues smoking salt the 2 or 3 times I did so. It could be that your tube is producing too much smoke for the MES. For starters I would back off on the length of time that you smoke the salt and go from there. Welcome to the forum.

Newtothegrounds Newtothegrounds I don’t use heat just smoke, ensure you have airflow/draft moving the smoke or it will get a stale smoke taste. I use a mesh pan splatter guard so the smoke goes through the salt.

I usually do my salt when cold smoking cheese which is about 3 to 4 hours of smoke. When done I just leave it on the splatter guard for a few hours, then into a jar, turn it every few days for first week to even the colour and smoke out.

hope that helps on your quest..

Reactions: tallbm
Newtothegrounds Newtothegrounds I don’t use heat just smoke, ensure you have airflow/draft moving the smoke or it will get a stale smoke taste. I use a mesh pan splatter guard so the smoke goes through the salt.

I usually do my salt when cold smoking cheese which is about 3 to 4 hours of smoke. When done I just leave it on the splatter guard for a few hours, then into a jar, turn it every few days for first week to even the colour and smoke out.

hope that helps on your quest..

Thanks for the reply, I used a large mesh pan and had the salt thinly spread out when doing it. As far as air flow theres not much I can do about that as the intake and exhaust vent are static/non adjustable ones. Maybe its just not something I can do then with my smoker. I tried with apple chips and another time with cherry each time produced the same results. Salt having a burned sooty taste like fire place ashes. Not right at all as well as the salt being mildly blackened even though the smoke was white coming out.

Have you considered using a stove top smoker for delicate things like cheese or salt? They use sawdust and I have never had problems with sooty smoke that can sometimes plague a outside smoker.

Have you considered using a stove top smoker for delicate things like cheese or salt? They use sawdust and I have never had problems with sooty smoke that can sometimes plague a outside smoker.
Sorry I'm not sure what a stove top smoker is. I have a smoke gun if its something like that? But I'm not fond of the profile it leaves much prefer my electric smoker or some amazn somker tubes in the bbq.

Hi there and welcome!

What kind of smoker are you using?
Are you cold smoking or is there heat going?

I have smoked salt in my MES using my AMNPS and mailbox mod.
I THINK I did it after I was done smoking some ribs I just put some salt on some parchment paper on one of my grated cooking basket things and let it got for a couple hours then mixed around and let it go again until the rest of the pellets burned out. Salt came out amazing!

My heat was still going though I turned it down so I could keep the draft going. If you dont have draft u end up with stale smoke and OMG its horrible!

Reactions: GATOR240
When I first smoked salt and cheese, I had the same disgusting taste. After researching the forum, I discover the constent flow of smoke was the key. Cold smoking, using the Amazen, I hook the latch on my smoker but do not latch it tight. Door stays cracked 3/8" to 1/2" during the smoke. Produce good cold smoke these days.

Reactions: Jabiru
Hi all, a little while ago I tried to smoke some sea salt with my electric master build. I've notice when I've seen smoked salt around the internet it has a nice golden hue or honey colour to it. I've tried on 2 different occasions to make it and both times the salt has come out black is and not very tasty at all. Any help would be great! Thanks

Any luck so far? I like to hot smoke around 225 since the pellets burn clean but sill with good smoke. Hot smoke imparts more flavor in a shorter time but I still go for 8-10 hours. It seems like you are getting too much soot from the wood burning. Try lower temp, steady air flow (if your smoker has a fan). Let me know what you have done so far. Smoking Maldon at 225 on my GMG pellet right now at 225. Not a ton of info online about the temps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky