Smoked some Salt.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jabiru

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
South Aus
Had cheese going in for a Apple wood cold smoke and thought I’d try do some Salt at the same time. I had Never tasted smoked salt before.

Popped some in my grinder and just tasted some of the salt with an egg and wow it tastes great, adds great flavour.

Will do it again for sure.

Start :

178F5006-CC11-46A3-97F0-486F470B9493.jpeg

End:
A6ABB5DB-CACE-457B-9915-5810337E009F.jpeg

32D17953-6D7B-40D3-BF47-BF47D059E77A.jpeg

9604DDFF-1BC5-4CD3-A3B2-3602D236F946.jpeg

Had cheese going in for a Apple wood cold smoke and thought I’d try do some Salt at the same time. I had Never tasted smoked salt before.

Popped some in my grinder and just tasted some of the salt with an egg and wow it tastes great, adds great flavour.

Will do it again for sure.

Start :

View attachment 403636

End:
View attachment 403637

View attachment 403638

View attachment 403639

This is on my list to do!
Any tips or suggestions or things you learned from your first ever attempt?

Reactions: Jabiru
It is definitely worth it Tallbm, such a unique flavour. My family are loving it.

As you can see it wasn’t all same colour, next time I will stir each hour, I didn’t touch it for 3 hours. The outsides went really dark, not an issue but I would like it all same colour so it even.

I did one amazn 12” tube, 3 hours, gave it plenty of smoke.

Reactions: tallbm
After your salt is completely cool and dry, put it in a Mason jar and shake it gently. The color will even out after a couple of days. Just like the cheese, it will taste much better the second day. I do mine over hickory because that's what my boys like. Apple sounds good, I might try that next. Nice job for your first attempt, it must be yummy, try it on a roast beef or sliced turkey sandwich. It will make all your work worth the effort.

Reactions: Jabiru and tallbm
Hi Siege, thanks for the advice mate. You are spot on, the salt in the jar is evening out.

It is definitely worth it Tallbm, such a unique flavour. My family are loving it.

As you can see it wasn’t all same colour, next time I will stir each hour, I didn’t touch it for 3 hours. The outsides went really dark, not an issue but I would like it all same colour so it even.

I did one amazn 12” tube, 3 hours, gave it plenty of smoke.

HI, can you please advise what wood you used to smoke the Salt?

I did some kosher salt a while back while smoking salmon lox with 100% alder and the salt came out awesome!

Looks good Jabiru! Got some great color on both. I just did the same thing recently (not posted yet) but was the first time for me also. We used course Himalayan pink salt, did some paprika too.

Still waiting for cheese to mellow
Ryan

Smoked salt is great. I normally use Himalayan course ground. Remember stir stir stir and stir some more. I smoke for about 3 to 4 hours with hickory. hickory is pretty strong but with weeks passing the smoke will dissipate from the salt so go strong and long.
How many hours do you reccomend?

M mojoman83 I did it 3 hours, same as the cheese. Thats one 12” tube full.

its crazy when you open the jar months later to fill the grinder, smells like a fire. Awesome stuff as a finishing salt. I’ll try find a picture of it after sitting a while in jar

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky