Smoked Duck Planning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

luvcatchingbass

Smoke Blower
Original poster
May 31, 2017
SE North Dakota
I've smoked a couple of whole chickens and a couple of whole turkeys with good results and for some reason I have an itch to attempt a whole farm raised duck. The only duck I have ever eaten is some wild duck breast from hunting a few years ago and those were prepared in a few different dishes, personally I liked them. The local grocery store has some left and they seem to be around 6-7# for about $23-25. Because I am great at over complicating some things and the more I read and research the more complicated I make everything so I come to all of you knowledgeable and talented masters of meat, fire and smoke. Whole fowl is a little out of my wheel house verses all the big pork and beef chunks so here are some of my questions/methods I'm thinking.
1. To leave whole or spatchcock (did the last 2 turkeys this way and loved it). Is there any advantage to staying whole? Spatchcock I know will decrease time, really learned that on the turkeys.
2. To brine or not brine. The last 2 turkeys had an Italian type brine which we really liked, there is a cajun that I want to try at some point.
3. If not brining what flavor types of seasoning are everyone's favorites and still let the duck show through, would it be worth pulling the skin back to get seasoning under and in contact with the meat?
4. Pin prick or cut light slits in breast for fat rendering?
5. Suggested smoker temps, I have been a fan of 200-225 on my Oklahoma Joe Pellet especially if I elevate on the movable racks.

As far as any scraps, neck and extra goodies have no fear as they will become a stock. The last 2 turkeys I did I even through the pieces on the smoker for a little bit then into the stock pot and at the end I get to pick away at the neck and wing meat.

Thanks guys and hopefully in the next couple weeks I will be adding a thread showing the Duck Adventure

Reactions: JLeonard
The last one I did I cut through the skin and fat in a cross hatch pattern but nit into the meat so the fat would render. I think your temps are fine for the first part of the cook but your going to want to really crank it up at the end to get that thing crispy! I also like to put a pan of root veggies under it to catch all that delicious duck fat.

Thanks Sowsage and HalfSmoked. For sure a pan will be underneath anyways, I like the root veggie idea.
Not this past Christmas but the one before I did one on the rotisserie and put veggies under it. All the fat rendering basted the duck the whole time. It turned out great! You can check it out if you want

Reactions: luvcatchingbass
Not this past Christmas but the one before I did one on the rotisserie and put veggies under it. All the fat rendering basted the duck the whole time. It turned out great! You can check it out if you want

That looks really good. Parsnips are one thing we have not used in our house but I keep planning to try them, just remembered when I read you commentary.

Reactions: Sowsage
Kind of a general whole bird question but what are peoples view point or experiences with packing the cavity? I personally have not done it, maybe I did once on Cornish hens, but I feel like there becomes a higher potential to dry out the breast meat due to increased mass. I'm interested in the idea about putting orange quarters inside but almost wonder if I were to make slices and lay them on the rack then se the spatchcock bird on them it would somewhat protect from heat underneath and still give a slight flavor boost.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky