Smoked Dried Beef with lots of Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Got to say I totally ripped this off and it has made me a rock star with my buddies.

I use TQ per directions/ weight and about a teaspoon per pound of brown sugar (equals Bear's tablespoon per 3 pound piece). Tried to follow to low temp method Bear described. I generally use Pitmaster's Choice.

I do give credit to the site and Bear when people ask. Never been a huge dried beef or dried deer fan until I tried this a couple months ago. Makes me even more excited for the fall and deer season.

Bear, thanks as always for your expertise and explanations.

Got to say I totally ripped this off and it has made me a rock star with my buddies.

I use TQ per directions/ weight and about a teaspoon per pound of brown sugar (equals Bear's tablespoon per 3 pound piece). Tried to follow to low temp method Bear described. I generally use Pitmaster's Choice.

I do give credit to the site and Bear when people ask. Never been a huge dried beef or dried deer fan until I tried this a couple months ago. Makes me even more excited for the fall and deer season.

Bear, thanks as always for your expertise and explanations.
That's Great, jirod !!!

I'm Real Glad You Liked It !!!

That's one of the reasons I was always glad when Deer Season came around too!!

Bear

FYI everyone,

Just took the last vac-pac'd chunk from the refrig (kept it in the cold bottom all the time), broke the seal and sliced it up. Tastes as good as the day it was made last December. I had made about 6 rounds up, enough to last me till temps were more friendly to smoking. Guess I'll need to make a few more, this last one is going fast...

Wonder if the recipe works for Elk?

FYI everyone,

Just took the last vac-pac'd chunk from the refrig (kept it in the cold bottom all the time), broke the seal and sliced it up. Tastes as good as the day it was made last December. I had made about 6 rounds up, enough to last me till temps were more friendly to smoking. Guess I'll need to make a few more, this last one is going fast...

Wonder if the recipe works for Elk?
Sorry I missed this so long, but I'm glad you like it, Phil !!!

And yes this works Great on Elk, Caribou, Moose, etc, etc, and it will all taste similar to Dried Beef.

However if you do the exact same thing to various Pig parts, you will end up with Belly Bacon, Buckboard Bacon, Canadian Bacon, and/or Ham.

Bear
I know this is a dumb question, but....what is TQ?
Like Case said, It is Morton's Tender Quick, and if one Grocery Store doesn't have it check at some others, because if you get it from Mortons, on the internet, the shipping is expensive!!

Bear

" In the future I will cut my eye rounds, or whatever meat I use into thinner pieces (3" thick, or less)." 

Would cutting them into thinner pieces also affect the temp and times you have listed? I'm about ready to TQ mine, just deciding if I want to do the whole 4lb or cut into chunks.

" In the future I will cut my eye rounds, or whatever meat I use into thinner pieces (3" thick, or less)." 

Would cutting them into thinner pieces also affect the temp and times you have listed? I'm about ready to TQ mine, just deciding if I want to do the whole 4lb or cut into chunks.
Yes, cutting a 4" thick X 6" X 10" roast into two roasts 2" thick each will cut your curing to center time down, and it can cut your smoking time, if you want to get it to a specific IT like 160*.

However I would still keep it smoking at about 140* for awhile before I finish it, so I can get more smoke flavor on it.

If the Roast is already under 3" thick, I would leave it in one piece, because there's no problem getting it cured to center without injecting it. I would guess that your 4 pounder is already less than 3" thick.

Bear 

Bear, Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm assuming the thickness is measured by the size top to bottom if you looking, from side to side would be width and length is pretty obvious.

Anywho, I cut it in half so it is now about 8" long x 5" wide x 2" thick, 4lbs so I rubbed the two pieces with a total of 4TBS of TQ.

Basic idea is still to cook it low and slow for as long as possible then get IT to 160area before shutting it down. Still following your suggested smoke schedule but some times may be adjusted since meat thickness is approx half of what yours were at. Pretty simple still right?

-----

So whats the threshold for meat on how thick it should be before you need to start injecting rather then rub for TQ?

wowwww thats looks great bear i think when i get back from my aniversary bash i'll try some

i like the step by step w/pictures  for us newbies

thanks bear

Bear, Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm assuming the thickness is measured by the size top to bottom if you looking, from side to side would be width and length is pretty obvious. Actually "Thickness" is the narrowest of the 3 dimensions, no matter which direction it is.

Anywho, I cut it in half so it is now about 8" long x 5" wide x 2" thick, 4lbs so I rubbed the two pieces with a total of 4TBS of TQ. So you weighed each piece individually & put the proper amount of TQ for each piece separately, right?

Basic idea is still to cook it low and slow for as long as possible then get IT to 160area before shutting it down. Still following your suggested smoke schedule but some times may be adjusted since meat thickness is approx half of what yours were at. Pretty simple still right? You got it.

So whats the threshold for meat on how thick it should be before you need to start injecting rather then rub for TQ? To me it is----Anything 3" thick or thicker should be either injected to help get cure to the center (you would still rub the outside with TQ), or slice it in half (Thickness wise) so applying cure to the outside will get the inside cured.

Bear

I just went to Costco and picked up a couple eye of rounds to try this on.  I know where to get dried beef, but since that involves a good deal of shipping, I am going to try this.  I just made about 3 pounds of dry cured, cold smoked bacon, so cured meat here I come.  I also picked up a sirloin top to try smoking that.  Thanks for posting this recipe, Bear!

John

Bear, I have a question for you.

I have made both BBB and belly bacon using your method with TQ.  I using TQ and doing an injection would you disolve the TQ in water then inject?  I don't remember reading anything about injecting with TQ as the cure.  Thanks

Bear, I have a question for you.

I have made both BBB and belly bacon using your method with TQ.  I using TQ and doing an injection would you disolve the TQ in water then inject?  I don't remember reading anything about injecting with TQ as the cure.  Thanks
In the beginning of this thread, under "Preparation", I explained what I did, and then in Red, mentioned what I would do next time (See Below). In fact after this Smoke, I did do what I said I would do in Red.

I no longer inject-----I just make sure none of the pieces are thicker than 3".

Preparation:
I trimmed all fat off of each Eye Round.
Mixed 3 ounces (6 TBS) of TQ with 12 ounces of water, and injected 2 ounces of this solution into the middle of each 3LB Eye Round.
Rubbed 1 1/2 ounces (3 TBS) of TQ and 1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar on each 3 LB Eye Round.
Put each Eye Round in it's own individual Zip-Lock bag & put in fridge at 37˚/38˚ for about 10 days.
Remove from fridge, rinse & soak in ice water for 1 hour, draining once at the half hour mark.
Dry each piece the best you can with paper towels.
Put on smoker rack & put in fridge unwrapped overnight to start drying.

NOTE: In the future I will cut my eye rounds, or whatever meat I use into thinner pieces (3" thick, or less).

This would eliminate having to mix TQ with water & injecting it into the meat.

All the curing would be done from the outside of the meat.

Bear

I just went to Costco and picked up a couple eye of rounds to try this on.  I know where to get dried beef, but since that involves a good deal of shipping, I am going to try this.  I just made about 3 pounds of dry cured, cold smoked bacon, so cured meat here I come.  I also picked up a sirloin top to try smoking that.  Thanks for posting this recipe, Bear!

John
That's Great John!!!  And Thank You!!

In case you haven't seen it, here is what I do with Sirloin Tip Roasts:

Rare Roast Beef (Smoked for Sammies)                  

Bear

This must be some kind of record as this thread was started 4-1/2 years ago and still going.
It might be---I have a few oldies that are pretty active, but this was one of my first Step by Steps.

It's gotten a lot of use.

Bear

Thanks Bear,

I'm sure I read that and then forgot there is always so much good information on this site.  It gets hard to keep track of.
Glad to help!!

You got that right---And lots of awesome smokes by a lot of peeps. I often worry about guys thinking I'm ignoring their smokes, but I just can't get to more than a small percentage of them!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky