Smoked Dried Beef with lots of Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've got to keep this thread going.  My wife and I were eating out at breakfast this morning when she started raving about my sausage cream gravy.  We started sharing stories of growing up and SOS came up.  I always loved it but I haven't had chipped beef in decades.  She says "look up how to make it" so I whip out my phone, do a Google search, and this thread comes up!  The thought of making my own got my blood racing.  Thanks for following this thread Bear (no pun intended) since its creation. 

I've got to keep this thread going.  My wife and I were eating out at breakfast this morning when she started raving about my sausage cream gravy.  We started sharing stories of growing up and SOS came up.  I always loved it but I haven't had chipped beef in decades.  She says "look up how to make it" so I whip out my phone, do a Google search, and this thread comes up!  The thought of making my own got my blood racing.  Thanks for following this thread Bear (no pun intended) since its creation. 
Thank You Sir!!!

You'll love this stuff, but I like it in my special Sammies best.

A lot of people call this SOS, but that is actually made with Ground Beef. That's what we had in the Army "SOS"---Not so good.

Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast is much better than Chit on a Chingle.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Let me know if you have any questions when you're ready to make some.

Bear

Reactions: SGMan
Bear,

I've never done dried beef before and I'm attempting it once my eye of round has been in the cure for another 4 days. Thank you so much for posting this step-by-step process, it's made things easy (so far).  I just have one question--I butterflied my eye of round like you suggested, and now my question is, when it come time to smoke it, do I smoke it flattened out, or do I fold it back up like it was before I butterflied it? I would imagine that the cook time would be different depending on which method I used? I have a Bradley electric smoker. Thanks again for all of your help. -Squints

Bear,

I've never done dried beef before and I'm attempting it once my eye of round has been in the cure for another 4 days. Thank you so much for posting this step-by-step process, it's made things easy (so far).  I just have one question--I butterflied my eye of round like you suggested, and now my question is, when it come time to smoke it, do I smoke it flattened out, or do I fold it back up like it was before I butterflied it? I would imagine that the cook time would be different depending on which method I used? I have a Bradley electric smoker. Thanks again for all of your help. -Squints
Definitely leave it butterflied out, or separate it into the 2 pieces at the fold.

When I split mine, I just went ahead and cut them completely in half, because it would be a pain to slice it into thin slices while it's butterflied.

It won't take long smoking, but you still want to keep it low & slow enough to get it good & smoky.

Here's one I did, where I split the Eye Round Roasts in half first. It has my Smoking schedule:

Smoked Dried Beef #1

Bear

Last edited:
Bear,

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the very useful info. One more question. I have about a 2.5 lb. eye of round that I left whole and injected, prior to reading your post about butterflying them. So I have one that's butterflied and one that is whole that's been injected like you instructed.  The whole round has just been in the cure for 1 day, can I slice it now so it's roughly the same size as my already butterflied round? This way they would all be done closer to the same time? Or is it a bad idea with the curing not to make any changes? Thanks for your help.

Bear,

Thanks a lot. I appreciate the very useful info. One more question. I have about a 2.5 lb. eye of round that I left whole and injected, prior to reading your post about butterflying them. So I have one that's butterflied and one that is whole that's been injected like you instructed.  The whole round has just been in the cure for 1 day, can I slice it now so it's roughly the same size as my already butterflied round? This way they would all be done closer to the same time? Or is it a bad idea with the curing not to make any changes? Thanks for your help.
Personally I wouldn't do it, because you don't know how much it already absorbed, so it would probably end up with too much cure or too salty.

I would just cure both of them to the length of time the whole one needs. Then do your check on the inside of the big one. If it's red/pink all the way to center, it's good to slow smoke. The extra time on the one you butterflied won't hurt a bit.

Bear

No wonder you loved your sangers (sammies) that meat looks fantastic.

Bear, can you tell me if beef rump would come out the same way or at least can I do a beef rump this way?

Cheers from D.U.

No wonder you loved your sangers (sammies) that meat looks fantastic.

Bear, can you tell me if beef rump would come out the same way or at least can I do a beef rump this way?

Cheers from D.U.
Thank You!!

Any hunk of Beef, Deer, Elk, Moose, etc, etc that doesn't have a lot of internal fat or marbling in it.

Not Pork!!!  If you do the same thing to Pork Loin, you get Canadian Bacon.

Bear

Been doing venison for a couple of years now. I do it the same way except add brown sugar and black pepper to the rub. Comes out great.

Been doing venison for a couple of years now. I do it the same way except add brown sugar and black pepper to the rub. Comes out great.
Yup, This was my first Dried Beef Smoke. After this one, all of my Dried Beef Smokes get CBP, Garlic Powder, and Onion Powder before the Pellicle. The Brown Sugar goes in with the TQ.

Here's links to the newer ones:

Canadian Bacon and Dried Beef

Smoked Dried Beef #1

Smoked Venison Dried Beef         

*New-----Dried Beef (Best Ever)  8-12-2014

Bear

WAhhhhhhh. The DR just put me on a no salt regimen.... so I guess I need to ask Bear  if there is anything else I can use?

Thanks!
Phil
Well, If that was "Low" Salt, instead of "No" Salt, I would say go to Pops Dried Beef How-to, but even that has a half cup of Salt added to the curing brine.

I don't see any Dried Beef is possible without any salt at all.

Maybe just go with "Rare Roast Beef lunch meat"???

Link:

Rare Roast Beef (Smoked for Sammies)       

Bear

Last edited:

Yeah, That's kinda what I thought. I was hoping for a miracle "cure".... <G>.... so lets see..... no salt diet or SDB.... you only live once, right?   Compromise! 
Well, I can't tell you what to do:

I'm on a Low Salt Diet, because of my Congestive Heart Failure (Edema), so I just cut down on salt & never add any salt at the table. I stopped my diuretics entirely & am just keeping an eye on my edema, Lung congestion & GFR. So far so good.

Bear

yeah, hang in there bear.....   My new BP meds have me under control, so I think I'll just try low salt, no added salt and see what happens....  gonna take some getting used to. salt adds flavor, and things are kinda bland without any.  Change Dr's? Hah, The VA won't even give me an MD, I get to see RN's, techs and PA's.

yeah, hang in there bear.....   My new BP meds have me under control, so I think I'll just try low salt, no added salt and see what happens....  gonna take some getting used to. salt adds flavor, and things are kinda bland without any.  Change Dr's? Hah, The VA won't even give me an MD, I get to see RN's, techs and PA's.
After cutting back on salt for awhile you don't really miss it.

Mine is a little different than most (Bet you never heard of anything like this):

My BP is 50 points higher on the left side than on the right, because of how they screwed my Aorta up. So I have to take 900 MG of Labetalol to keep my Dissected Aorta from rupturing. Then because of the right side being lower, the Labetalol takes the right side BP down too low, causing Hemiballismus and severe dizziness. The best I can do is to keep the left side at about 140/90, which makes the right side about 90/70. If I bring the left side down any lower the right side gets so low I can't even walk.

This is one of the reasons sometimes I just don't feel up to smoking.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky