Smoked Dried Beef with lots of Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
update. did 2 eye of rounds yesterday, found a nice time saver. I cut them in half lengthwise, then in half again across the width. Ended up with 8 pieces from 2 rounds. Did the usual cure time. They were done smoking inn 8 hours! I was expecting to have to stay up late, but their internal temp hit 160 right around hour 8. Nice side benefit, they are a good size for putting on the slicer and slicing thinly.

Later!
Phil

update. did 2 eye of rounds yesterday, found a nice time saver. I cut them in half lengthwise, then in half again across the width. Ended up with 8 pieces from 2 rounds. Did the usual cure time. They were done smoking inn 8 hours! I was expecting to have to stay up late, but their internal temp hit 160 right around hour 8. Nice side benefit, they are a good size for putting on the slicer and slicing thinly.

Later!
Phil
Sounds good, Phil !!

I usually just slice them in two lengthwise. That way I don't have a bunch of pieces in the same curing bag, and have to worry about one getting most of the cure, and others not getting enough.

Bear

Yeah, I didn't do the final cut in half til after the cure. was basically checking that the cure got to the center.... and ended up with 8 pieces!
Sounds Good !!!

I got another bunch of Venison Backstraps to do soon, and they're pretty thin. I think I'll put a few pieces in each bag, but I'll massage & flip them more often than usual, to make sure they all get their share of cure.

Bear

Cool. Did some gifted Ek backstraps last year that had been butterflied. Followed the usual soak, just turning every day, and they came out fine! A different taste for sure, but everyone loved them.  

Cool. Did some gifted Ek backstraps last year that had been butterflied. Followed the usual soak, just turning every day, and they came out fine! A different taste for sure, but everyone loved them.  
Your Elk Backstraps were a bit bigger I'm sure.

Below , as you can see, the last time I did Venison Backstraps, I put 3 pieces in each bag, and flipped & massaged more often, so they all got their share of cure:

Here's that Link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/166047/venison-backstrap-dried-beef

Bear

http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSCN0763.jpg.html

Bear this looks like it has the makings of SOS for me,started one today with the dry rub going to cure 14 days. Thanks for sharing Points

Richie

icon14.gif

Bear this looks like it has the makings of SOS for me,started one today with the dry rub going to cure 14 days. Thanks for sharing Points

Richie

icon14.gif
Thanks Richie!!

Yes you can use it for that.

I don't use it for Cream Chipped Beef on Toast very often, because I like it so much in a Sammy with American Cheese.

And Thanks for the Points!

Bear

I tried your recipe with goose breasts, and you would never know it wasn't beef! It turned out absolutely wonderful! Thank you! 2nd batch is now in the fridge. Can't wait for the 11 days to go by so I can get the smoker going!

I tried your recipe with goose breasts, and you would never know it wasn't beef! It turned out absolutely wonderful! Thank you! 2nd batch is now in the fridge. Can't wait for the 11 days to go by so I can get the smoker going!
That's Great !!

I never tried it with Goose Breast, but I know you can't tell the difference between my Dried Beef and my Venison Dried Beef when I make them and slice it real thin.

I'm Real glad you're enjoying it !!

Bear

Richie

icon14.gif
Thanks Richie!!

Yes you can use it for that.

I don't use it for Cream Chipped Beef on Toast very often, because I like it so much in a Sammy with American Cheese.

And Thanks for the Points!

Bear
Heres the first slice for you Bear, thanks for the post

Richie

Hey bear,

Ever try making pemmican from this stuff?
No--This is so much better!!

Actually, The only Pemmican I ever had was Ground up Meat & Tallow that was Dried, without even smoking it---
PDT_Armataz_01_32.gif

The only thing good about it is it will last a lot longer, but who cares??

Seriously---If you had Pemmican, Try this & see if you ever want it again.

Bear

Thanks Bear, I just thought pemmican made from smoked dried beef and dried blueberries or raspberries would be a great hiking, camping, hunting etc food.  Got 4 rounds in the frig, 9 days is up tomorrow, but gonna have to leave them cure a few more days till we get back in the 50's.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky