Smoked, Cured, Flank Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bspeech

Original poster
Nov 30, 2017
Hey all,

Was in my local butcher a few months back and saw they had smoked, cured flank steak. I couldn't resist so I picked some up and it was delicious. Needless to say, it disappeared quickly.

Last week the grocery store had prime flank steak on sale so I picked up a 2lb piece and decided to give this a try. I decided to cure using a brine vs dry cure to keep it moist. I used cure 1 and used this link to calculate the amount of cure to use. http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/nitritecuringcalculator.html

I was going for a sweeter taste on this so I threw together a brine with salt, cure 1, water, garlic cloves, onion, bourbon, brown sugar, honey, black pepper and a bit of root beer. I really didn't measure much of what I put in. I just know I used 1/4 cup of salt and 1 tsp cure 1 for 6 cups brine. I don't think I would change the amount of salt next time around, it was just the right amount.

After the brine was mixed thoroughly, I poured it in a gallon ziplock with the flank steak. I let it cure for 4 days, flipping the bag each day just to be safe. After 4 days I removed from bag, rinsed, patted dry and let it sit out for an hour or so before smoking. I smoked at 160* with hickory until IT hit 120* (About 2 hours) and then cranked it up to 225* to finish it off. (pulled at 140* IT) After I pulled it, I double wrapped it in foil and let sit on the counter for 2-3 hours before placing in the fridge.

I like it best kept in the fridge and sliced thin to snack on!

IMG_4978.jpg
IMG_4984.jpg
IMG_4985.jpg
IMG_4988.jpg

Reactions: tallbm and gmc2003
That looks delicious.Wow....I gotta try it out.Flank steak is pricey but for a small batch would be great for a ballgame and nice cold brew.

Nice looking flank steak. I would never have thought to do one that way. We always marinate in teriyaki and grill on really high heat.

Point for sure.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky