Smoked brisket for dummies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

David Ward

Original poster
May 31, 2018
Somerset, England.
Hi there.

My name is David (Somerset, England) and I'm new to hot smoking. I have grilled for a while on charcoal and gas but I'm totally new to smoking having only just acquired a 18.5 inch Weber Smokey Mountain.

I'm breaking my duck with a flat brisket when we have friends over in two weeks so I want to get it right. Can anyone point me to a simple foolproof 6 - 10 hour recipe that doesn't involve brining for days?

Thanks

For seasoning, 1:1 salt and black pepper.... use the snake method with charcoal... water pan under brisket with whatever you want... water, beer soda, tea, etc
Smoke til 155-160F wrap and continue to smoke til 195, rest for at last an hour

Reactions: David Ward
6-10 hours total to make a whole Brisket flat? You are going to have to do a hot-and-fast to make that. Definitely want to foil as well after only a couple hours of smoke. You will need to keep your pit temps 275-300'F. And even then its questionable if it will be probe tender in that amount of time with a rest.

Reactions: David Ward
do a test burn to season the smoker, plus burn off any manufacturing oils on the metal. Next, but a small pork butt and smoke that to learn a bit about managing the temps in the smoker.
An internal temp is ok as a "guesstimate" of when a brisket is done, but the proof is when a probe inserted into the brisket feels like it is going into warm butter . Start simple with salt and pepper and seal it up in foil after two to 4 hours until it probes tender. Save the drippings from the foil and separate the fat by putting the container in the freezer until the fat solidifies on top of the liquid. The meat should be wrapped in the foil and placed in an ice chest (no ice of course;-) to rest ,keep warm and re absorb some juices throughout the meat.
Good luck, and keep us posted on the progress and results

For seasoning, 1:1 salt and black pepper.... use the snake method with charcoal... water pan under brisket with whatever you want... water, beer soda, tea, etc
Thanks radio this is a great help. I've had three replies overnight and I'll incorporate them all.

6-10 hours total to make a whole Brisket flat? You are going to have to do a hot-and-fast to make that. Definitely want to foil as well after only a couple hours of smoke. You will need to keep your pit temps 275-300'F. And even then its questionable if it will be probe tender in that amount of time with a rest.
Thanks browneyesvictim. I appreciate your experience and I'm sure I'll be calling on it again.

Thanks smoking13. Simple, just what I need.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky