Smoked Boudin .....to cure or not to cure ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shoneyboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 3, 2010
Denham Springs La
I’ve been working on developing a Boudin recipe for a while now. I know, I’m from Louisiana and it shouldn’t be that hard, but it has been for me. I know that I have eaten many different recipes of boudin over my life and I’ve tried to combine what I like from each when formulating this recipe. Most of them suggest that you use liver, but I can’t stand the ideal of using liver. So, I have not incorporated it in this recipe, but I may have to get the flavor that I want at a later time. What I’m here asking is, I’m planning on smoking this product, everything is cooked before stuffing it, but I will be stuffing into a raw pork casing......What’s your thoughts on using cure ? I have asked several people that do make this for a living and they say that they don’t use cure. What are your thoughts? Thanks ShoneyBoy

Shoneyboy, morning....  Well, I would think the pork casing would be free of bacteria after sitting in salt for who knows how long.... I could be wrong on that and probably am.....  If you stuffed and hot smoked you should be OK.....  Cold temp smoking could present a health problem...  You know, under 170 ish ....  There are too many variables for this old brain to sort out.... reheating cook food, that has been in and out of the refer so many times...   raw pig....   Then it will probably go back in the refer and back on the grill or frying pan.....     

Someone has to know how to figure all this....    If you put cure #1 in it, it will alter the taste...  I do know that....   Dave

Shoneyboy, morning....  Well, I would think the pork casing would be free of bacteria after sitting in salt for who knows how long.... I could be wrong on that and probably am.....  If you stuffed and hot smoked you should be OK.....  Cold temp smoking could present a health problem...  You know, under 170 ish ....  There are too many variables for this old brain to sort out.... reheating cook food, that has been in and out of the refer so many times...   raw pig....   Then it will probably go back in the refer and back on the grill or frying pan.....     

Someone has to know how to figure all this....    If you put cure #1 in it, it will alter the taste...  I do know that....   Dave
I was thinking the same thing. I think I just might hot smoke it.... 200 degrees for an hour or two, get the IT to 160 and see how it comes out...I have never tried this so I'm kind of winging it.......
pot.gif
LOL

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a recipe 

I would hot smoke, without the cure, it's what's traditional, right?

Whatever you decide to do, don't add the cure and heat it (as in cooking) before you need it for protection during cold smoking, if that's what you decide to do.
Heat will inactivate the cure and it's impossible to know to what extent.

HTH

~Martin

Last edited:
I have never seen a recipe for boudin that calls for cure...

Most of the time its cooked in a pan and squeezed from the casing..mmmmmmmm

With some cornbread...mmmmm

Last edited:
One of my co-wokers that use to make it would cold smoked his and he always added cure......I'm thinking of hot smoking at 200.. Everything is cooked so there's nothing, but the casing to worry about and if I go into a hot preheated smoker that shouldn't give me any problems......Scarbelly.....I'm still working on getting it put on paper, but once I do I will post the recipe.....I have 2 or 3 different versions that I have written down and I just need to narrow it down to 1 recipe..... I want some others opinions before I try it too.....SB

This is a bit crazy but...I am a big fan of White Castle and Krystal Hamburgers. Many sites suggest that one of the flavor components in the burgers is Liver. Obviously its a small amount and not worth purchasing to get 1lb  of ground beef tasting right and grosses many people out. The fix to get the Liver flavor into the meat is Gerber Beef Baby Food. Apparently the pureed brown goo taste more like liver than beef. Maybe that would help you get the right flavor profile in your recipe without having to mess with the liver...Just a thought...JJ

This is a bit crazy but...I am a big fan of White Castle and Krystal Hamburgers. Many sites suggest that one of the flavor components in the burgers is Liver. Obviously its a small amount and not worth purchasing to get 1lb  of ground beef tasting right and grosses many people out. The fix to get the Liver flavor into the meat is Gerber Beef Baby Food. Apparently the pureed brown goo taste more like liver than beef. Maybe that would help you get the right flavor profile in your recipe without having to mess with the liver...Just a thought...JJ
Thanks Jimmy J. You just put me off White Castle...
Bottom.gif

Bottom.gif
I don't know, them White Castle's are pretty good.....and I've only had them from the freezer. So I know if I had them fresh ..... I don't know what I would do.....Watch out !!!!
I have had this and will prolly make it if I can scare up  some fresh pork liver...

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/12/01/cajun-boudin-sausage-recipe/
That was one of the recipes that I looked at when I was doing some research for ingredients for mine......

Last edited:
Bottom.gif
I'll have a case of sliders please...............
drool.gif

I would hot smoke, without the cure, it's what's traditional, right?
Whatever you decide to do, don't add the cure and heat it (as in cooking) before you need it for protection during cold smoking, if that's what you decide to do.
Heat will inactivate the cure and it's impossible to know to what extent.
HTH
~Martin
I wouldn't add the cure to already cooked meat..... I would hot smoke it right after stuffing hot. Are you going to stuff hot or are you going to cool, stuff and smoke........

The recipes I have seen said to poach the meat and veggies till the meat falls apart. Remove from the liquid, grind everything together....add this mixture in with the cooked rice along with some green onion tops, add enough of the liquid to moisten the mixture and stuff into casings.....I was going to work it all as hot as I can handle it. Then into the smoker......

Liver is not one of my favorite foods. I can eat it, but have never liked it except for one product made in NC and sold statewide there and in SC and VA.

Neese's Sausage

More than 60 years ago, my dad would buy the liver pudding, "rat" cheese (sharp cheddar) and saltine crackers for our lunches when hunting or fishing. Before leaving NC, I used to buy it and make the wife gag when I ate it.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

I think I might order some, now!

:bluesbros:

Last edited:
I love Krystals and White Castles!

Rules.gif

As for Boudin/Boudain, Shoney boy is right as rain as far as I know.  I have never heard of using cure, beause it was hot smoked or poached/boiled almost immediately upon stuffing so the bacteria was never a problem. 

I remember steaming bowls of ingredients and rice being stuffed into casings and it was still piping hot (almost too hot to handleactually), and then it went into boiling broth from the meat being cooked, or placed into an oven.  My folks didn't have a smoker at the time.

Since the ingredients were fully cooked it was OK.  That was the way I was taught.  Keep it hot when cooking and cool rapidly to avoid bacteria. 

When I was a kid, we never had any leftovers anyway so it wasn't a problem.  Links, patties, or balls it didn't last long with my Creole Mama and Cajun side of the family.  I gotta go get some this weekend!

Thanks for resurrecting the memories!

yahoo.gif

Liver is not one of my favorite foods. I can eat it, but have never liked it except for one product made in NC and sold statewide there and in SC and VA.
Neese's Sausage
More than 60 years ago, my dad would buy the liver pudding, "rat" cheese (sharp cheddar) and saltine crackers for our lunches when hunting or fishing. Before leaving NC, I used to buy it and make the wife gag when I ate it.
Don't knock it until you've tried it.
I think I might order some, now!
bluesbros.gif
shoot me a pm... I'll send you some. i have some packing left over from B&P... I can get some dry ice from Krogers............
icon14.gif

Joe

Never had cured boudin, but it might be tasty if not traditional. Looking forward to seeing what you end up doing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky