Smoked and SV’d brisket?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 27, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Anyone ever tried a smoked and sous vide brisket? I’m cooking for my daughter’s birthday party next weekend so I need to transport and I don’t want to dry it out by slicing beforehand so I had the idea of smoking 6-8 hours or so to form a nice bark and the finishing in a water bath. Sliced and served on location right out of the bag.

Anyone ever had experience trying this and if so what time and temp in the sous vide would your recommended? I have expandable vac bags so I could do it whole or separate. Appreciate any insight or tips!

I have never done it but have seen others post about it here. I'm sure someone will chime in about it. I know it can be done just not sure of the process and timing.

There was a member here years ago who used to do this and they always looked fantastic. One of these days I will be able to find his posts again.

That is the way I make pastrami. Smoke to an IT of 150, then SV @ 155 for 24 hours. I’m sure just a plain brisket would be awesome cooked that way. There are 2 advantages, one you know exactly when the brisket will be done, and two the 24 hours in the bath with your spices really penetrates the meat. I know you will love it!
Al

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
That is the way I make pastrami. Smoke to an IT of 150, then SV @ 155 for 24 hours. I’m sure just a plain brisket would be awesome cooked that way. There are 2 advantages, one you know exactly when the brisket will be done, and two the 24 hours in the bath with your spices really penetrates the meat. I know you will love it!
Al
Thanks Al. I appreciate the input on the time and temp. I snagged a couple of the Kroger choice briskets $1.87 a lb today thinking of doing a test run tomorrow into Monday. Think I should separate or leave whole?

Reactions: JLeonard
I usually smoke my briskets the day before the event. I cook them as normal, pull them off the smoker and let them rest to about 150 deg then bag them and put in a SV bath at 141 degrees until we’re ready to serve the next day.
I have 3 in a SV bath right now that we’ll cut into this evening.

Reactions: tallbm
Thanks Al. I appreciate the input on the time and temp. I snagged a couple of the Kroger choice briskets $1.87 a lb today thinking of doing a test run tomorrow into Monday. Think I should separate or leave whole?
The time and the temp that I told you was for a flat so, if it was me, I think I would separate them and do each one in a different bag.
Al

For a whole, I took my last one to 185 then 24hrs at 151.
Think of the water bath as the restaurant holding cabinets.
really helps to have it pre done. There are other threads with time and temp variations.

For a whole, I took my last one to 185 then 24hrs at 151.
Think of the water bath as the restaurant holding cabinets.
really helps to have it pre done. There are other threads with time and temp variations.
How was the texture when you sliced? Party is next Sunday evening. Thinking of throwing them on Friday night then bagging Saturday morning and into the SV. Take them out of the bag at the venue and slice. Would that work well?

How was the texture when you sliced? Party is next Sunday evening. Thinking of throwing them on Friday night then bagging Saturday morning and into the SV. Take them out of the bag at the venue and slice. Would that work well?
No difference. Damn tasty.
Makes your plan really easy. The main reason I did it. Also works great for pastrami.

As I said, there are some older threads from folks with more bonafides than me.

No difference. Damn tasty.
Makes your plan really easy. The main reason I did it. Also works great for pastrami.

As I said, there are some older threads from folks with more bonafides than me.
I've seen different times and temps so I have been trying to hammer that out as the party is this Sunday. I am thinking of going your route. Smoke to 185 then water bath at 150 for 24 hours. If I need longer I will just drop it down to 140 and let it chill till we are ready to eat. Think that will be good?

Never tried it John, but it sounds like it would work. I'd make sure your bag is big enough before you start.

Best of luck
Chris

I've seen different times and temps so I have been trying to hammer that out as the party is this Sunday. I am thinking of going your route. Smoke to 185 then water bath at 150 for 24 hours. If I need longer I will just drop it down to 140 and let it chill till we are ready to eat. Think that will be good?
Never tried it, but I'm in the camp of smoke it like a day before the way you normally would and then let it cool completely in the fridge (garage fridge for me) until the next day.
You could then SV heat it up and then slice it hot at the party.

No matter what, you want to smoke this brisket long enough so it comes out tasting like bbq brisket and not beef pot roast. If you smoke uncovered to 185F that should do the trick.

Also I'm a big proponent of smoking it whole and not separated. This is because the Flat muscle is the problem child and benefits (in my experience) from having the point muscle still attached. You place the probe(s) in the thickest yet center-most portion of the flat muscle to let the thermometer tell you when to start checking for tenderness all over (around 200F for me to start checking). It's not easy to nail the sweet spot so I use 2-3 probes from slightly different angles and go by the lowest one because it's the one that is the likely closest to the sweet spot since it's a lower temp.

Finally, I also am a big proponent of trimming a brisket where you cut off the thin end of the Flat muscle so that what is left of the flat is about uniform thickness with the thick portion and you can repurpose that good thin flat meat for grind, stews, braises, etc. Here is what I mean:
full-png.png

Trimming like that usually means you don't want to separate flat and point since you cut off like 20% of the brisket as it was.

Anyhow, just some food for thought. The main thing is to land on something you know will work for sure that you will be comfortable with. So this is why I'm in the camp of smoke it early the normal way and reheat via SV or oven or any other means the day off. Smoked BBQ always tastes better the next day anyhow and if you nailed your brisket to begin with, it will still be perfect and juicy when reheated (but not overheated).

SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan I just realized that if you smoke early and refridgerate. You can slice cold (super easy to slice and slice thin) and then just reheat however you like. No need to even fool with SV.
I've eaten a bajillion briskets done this way where they were reheated via oven in a fill pan covered with foil. Also where it was reheated in chafing dishes with the underneath flame, etc. etc.

The key is nailing it when you cook it. It will reheat anyway you like and still taste amazing... provided you don't over reheat it :D

Appreciate the advice fellas. Ended up separating the points and flats and smoked separately. Flats came out like jello at 203 and burnt ends are finishing up now. Flats are about to go in a 140 bath until party time.

tallbm tallbm what temp and time SV would you recommend reheating pulled pork?

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Appreciate the advice fellas. Ended up separating the points and flats and smoked separately. Flats came out like jello at 203 and burnt ends are finishing up now. Flats are about to go in a 140 bath until party time.

tallbm tallbm what temp and time SV would you recommend reheating pulled pork?
Not sure I can help you there lol. I do so little SV but if I was forced at knife point, I would put SV at 165F for just long enough that it was warmed all the way through. I guess that's like 1-1.5 hours? lol

Appreciate all the advice. The brisket turned out pretty damn good. I separated the points and flats and smoked separately. Points went for burnt ends. Took the flats to around 200 when they were tender then did 12 hours at 150 then dropped to 140 until slicing time about 8 hours later. Awful taking pics but here are a few…
1717726931216.jpeg

1717726699982.jpeg

Burnt ends going in:
1717726905729.jpeg

Redneck SV at its finest:
1717727073844.jpeg

Looks dry but was tender and juicy. Sliced, panned with a little beef broth, and wrapped in a hot cooler until we got to the venue.
1717727154564.jpeg

Bonus pic. Rolled the butts in the big rig for about 6 hours and then panned and into the electric with the pellet tray overnight. Lots of black gold juice in that pan. Has been my go to way for awhile now.
1717727310594.jpeg

Menu consisted of brisket, burnt ends, pulled pork, and full size pans of smoked beans, 4 cheese Mac and cheese, and vinegar buttermilk slaw. Everyone enjoyed.

And lunch the next day. Who complains about brisket and pulled pork sandwiches on a toasted brioche?
1717727445854.jpeg

tallbm tallbm thanks for the Kroger brisket coupon that would have never happened without you! $4.99 a lb here that week and slim pickings
It all looks great! Glad to have helped. All i did was post a coupon, you did all the real work. Enjoy all that great BBQ :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky