Pork loin: Whole or Sliced?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

IA pigsNcrops

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 6, 2019
So I am in charge of doing a couple pork loins for a party at work. I have had good success smoking a pork loin first, then finishing in the sous vide. I have always sous vide the pork loin whole (as big as will fit in vacumn package). I was thinking for ease of serving at work, maybe vac packing and sous videing it sliced. I was checking if anyone thinks slicing vs leaving whole would change the end result/ texture? Thanks

Reactions: JLeonard
MmEHb4n.jpg

Pork loin is my favorite meat to take in for work or to a pot luck. When there is no reheat option, I just slice and serve with King' Hawaiian rolls.
fI5K7vt.jpg

I've never "finished" loins in the SV, but I've dropped bags of smoked loins into 145° water to reheat (before SV I used a Nesco roaster). I prefer to pull the bags one at a time, and slice as it's served. This keeps it moister, and you get to show off a little wielding a knife around and making small talk.
i18CgKt.jpg

3pfYQxH.jpg

As a bonus treat, why not smoke a few fatties? Bag them too and slice warm. You can get 9 or 10 slices per log.
ZJlDAIO.jpg

Looks like thirdeye thirdeye has you covered. We love pork loin & it is nice that it is still cheap. We like them cooked over wood on a rotisserie.
Al

I'd vote for keeping them whole as well.

For some reason I now want pork loin and fatties with King Hawaiian buns!

Ryan

Reactions: 912smoker
I would keep whole and smoke to 145° then reheat via Sous Vide then slice before serving.

Reactions: gmc2003
I forgot to mention that injecting them with some slightly salty apple juice.... maybe 1 ounce of juice per pound. Buying the 8 ounce bottles of juice are handy to have around.

Reactions: 912smoker
What kind of container do you have in mind? I have a pair of Party Stackers I use for holding meats and for Summer sausage, and they work great.
View attachment 683834
I used two coolers, had a Joule in one and an Anova in the other. The Joule had the water heated 50 minutes sooner, same size cooler. Everything turned out excellent, and had many comments. Did a 10 hr brine before smoking, and smoked to 140 degrees, then pulled off and refrigerated. 4 hrs sous vide at 145 degrees, pulled and then sliced.

Reactions: BigW.
I used two coolers, had a Joule in one and an Anova in the other. The Joule had the water heated 50 minutes sooner, same size cooler. Everything turned out excellent, and had many comments. Did a 10 hr brine before smoking, and smoked to 140 degrees, then pulled off and refrigerated. 4 hrs sous vide at 145 degrees, pulled and then sliced.
I wonder if the wattage was different? I have one of the larger Anova circulators and the increase in the flow of water is noticeable.

Sounds like everything came off like clockwork. 👍

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky