Smoked and Seared Tri-Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tander28

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 7, 2016
Kansas
Apparently, TNJAKE TNJAKE and I were on the same page without knowing it, because a few weeks back I smoked a Tri-Tip seasoned with Meat Church Holy Voodoo just like he did here!

Started with a nice 3 lb. tri-tip from the local university dairy. This was my first time cooking one, so I just treated it like a big steak. I trimmed it heavily getting all the fat and silverskin off before seasoning with a heavy dose of Holy Voodoo. I cooked in uncovered/unwrapped at 220 HI smoke on the Woodwind until an IT of 130. Pulled it off to rest for 15 min. While it was resting I cranked the grill to max heat and whipped up a little Holy Voodoo compound butter. Once basted with the butter, I threw the tri-tip on the grill and seared it off. Sliced against the grain and served! It was absolutely outstanding, so good I bought another roast immediately haha.

Fresh off the smoker
IMG_1284.JPG

Now all seared

IMG_1285.JPG

The temp was perfect for me!
IMG_1286.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

Ate it with some homemade sour dough as a snack, and then steak and eggs the next morning!
IMG_1288.JPG

IMG_1290.JPG

perfectly done! Nice work. I have a better chance of hitting a cow on the road than finding tri tip around here

Ryan

Looks delicious!
Thanks, SP!
We never seem to get tri-tip around here--I keep looking.
A little too rare for me, but it surly does look good. Nice job.
Gary
Thanks, Gary! I was surprised how red it was at 130, but it was a pleasant surprise given the balance between rareness and tenderness.
Whoa over the top. Nice
Thanks, I appreciate it!
Nice job bud. Looks delicious. Smoking a couple voodoo Yardbirds right now
Thank you, sir--can't wait to see the pics of the birds!
Nice TT man! We don't find them here often but I am going on the hunt this weekend.
Thank you--good luck hunting one down! This was the first I'd seen it here.
perfectly done! Nice work. I have a better chance of hitting a cow on the road than finding tri tip around here

Ryan
If you hit a cow on the road. Pull over and salvage the tri tip lol
LOL at both of these. Thanks for the kind words BH!

Very Nice!! love me some Tritip. I just ordered some rubs from Oakridge, cant wait to use them.

Item #Description
Qty
SM100Santa Maria Grill Seasoning
1​
DFS01Duck Fat Spray
1​
SWP06Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken Rub
1​
BRN200Game Changer Brine & Injection
1​
CRNE05Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub
1​
SCL07Smokey Chile Lime All Purpose Rub
1​

Wow. Looks great. Wish I could get TT here.Once in a while I find it here.

Very Nice!! love me some Tritip. I just ordered some rubs from Oakridge, cant wait to use them.

Item #Description
Qty
SM100Santa Maria Grill Seasoning
1​
DFS01Duck Fat Spray
1​
SWP06Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken Rub
1​
BRN200Game Changer Brine & Injection
1​
CRNE05Carne Crosta Steakhouse Rub
1​
SCL07Smokey Chile Lime All Purpose Rub
1​

Duck fat spray is great. We love using it. Spray the smoker grates and veggies.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky