Thanksgiving Smashed-n-Smoked Taters

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smashed-n-Smoked Taters
2-4lbs of New Potatoes
(Prick them with a fork once or twice, let the chicken stock in.)
4-6C Chicken stock
Water
Oil/butter
Seasonings

In a large stock pot place potatoes, add chicken stock and a palmful of salt
(1 standard box of broth/stock equals 4C if not enough add water)
Boil for 20 minutes, drain and cool
Place potatoes on greased surface and lightly mash them flat
But not too flat or they'll fall apart, about half their original height or a bit more
Brush with oil, I prefer olive oil, butter or bacon grease
Season with whatever you like
Smoke at 250°-275° for 45min to 1 hour
Use very light smoke, they take on a lot of smoke flavor

Njzjbkd.jpg

Last edited:
Pass the ketchup!!! I'll take two to go.

Point for sure
Chris

Man those look great! Might have to give them a try this weekend. Maybe even something I can get my daughter to eat off the smoker haha

First time I've seen this Chile. Seems like it'll go good with our Redfish tomorrow. I've got 6 or 7 Russets I didn't know what to do with. Thanks for solving that problem. I was originally gonna mash them around some cedar planked steak. But this is intriguing.
don

First time I've seen this Chile. Seems like it'll go good with our Redfish tomorrow. I've got 6 or 7 Russets I didn't know what to do with. Thanks for solving that problem. I was originally gonna mash them around some cedar planked steak. But this is intriguing.
don
Mmmmm, redfish! How ya cooking it?

Blackened this time. Since it's so hot out I'm thinking of eventually trying a ceviche....(minus the blood line). Just to try it. I think you taters would go good with that like a smoked American "Johnny Cake". (Just thinking)
Don

Good stuff Ray, hope y'all like'em as much as we do.

Hey John. My wife grew up with a close relative who was a potato farmer. Consequently my wife's family always had sacks of potatoes to cook and preserve. You'd think she'd be sick of potatoes. Nope, she LOVES 'em!

We just rolled back in town. I've got leftover chicken quarters I grilled on Friday. It's 102F outside, so I'm firing up the grill, not the oven. Smashed taters will be center stage tonight!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky