Small whole hog...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bassadict69

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 5, 2017
Benton, La
I killed a small wild hog yesterday and didn't have time to figure out how to scald her, so I skinned it and am throwing her on the smoker today. I injected with a mix of jalapeno butter and ACV and rubbed down with some pork rub I like. I just threw it onto my MES with some pecan pellets in the tray and am smoking at 275...

What IT am I looking for?
Where should I insert the probe?

Sorry I can't help with the cooking of a whole hog. I'm still trying to imagine fitting a whole hog in a MES. Can you post a picture if you get a chance?

Chris

79C1BCBE-3DDA-452D-99A9-1546222FDA6D.jpeg
I did mention small? LOL!

I killed a small wild hog yesterday and didn't have time to figure out how to scald her, so I skinned it and am throwing her on the smoker today. I injected with a mix of jalapeno butter and ACV and rubbed down with some pork rub I like. I just threw it onto my MES with some pecan pellets in the tray and am smoking at 275...

Last time i did one like that I had it on a rotisserie. One other i did was in covered ground pit. Since you didn't indicate a rotisserie, I think I would cook it a 1/2 hour each side basting every 15 min or so. After that hour I would insert quick read thermometer near rear ball joint or front shoulder joint or both, on both sides. Flip every 10 min from there or until IT is around 165 or a little over. Pull and let rest.

I've done it... skin off. The meat will dry out. I suggest getting some smoke on it low and slow and then wrap the whole thing in foil. you can add some apple juice, maybe a little butter (since there is less fat on a wild hog) then wrap it up and cook it to 203~205*...if you want to pull it.

I almost always skin out wild hogs since we've no facilities for burning/scalding and scraping their nasty hides.
Smaller pigs/piglets get cooked whole or quartered.
Measure IT in the thickest parts, the hams, and aim for 165°.
I don't have room to smoke a whole piglet, but I do on the grill.
Like to grill them over high heat and get a good sear on it, then lower the heat and add some smoke.

Here is one I did,
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/whole-feral-piglet-and-some-other-goodies.253224/
full[img]

I almost always skin out wild hogs since we've no facilities for burning/scalding and scraping their nasty hides.
Smaller pigs/piglets get cooked whole or quartered.
Measure IT in the thickest parts, the hams, and aim for 165°.
I don't have room to smoke a whole piglet, but I do on the grill.
Like to grill them over high heat and get a good sear on it, then lower the heat and add some smoke.

Here is one I did,
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/whole-feral-piglet-and-some-other-goodies.253224/
full[img]

Lordy!
The Eyes have it! LOL!
Got to LOVE that shot!

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/media/100_9414_zpscvexlfk9-jpg.495224/

I'm sorry, I'm not a hunter or trapper. So the only meat I get is from the grocery store, but that piglet reminds of a dog carcass. I couldn't do it. I would enjoy the the smoked meat - just couldn't do it myself.

Chris

I'm sorry, I'm not a hunter or trapper. So the only meat I get is from the grocery store, but that piglet reminds of a dog carcass. I couldn't do it. I would enjoy the the smoked meat - just couldn't do it myself.

Chris

I had a neighbor who was a little Macho Man. He'd go deer hunting every year, one year he brought home a Coastal Deer with much hoopla.
It was smaller than most dogs, and much smaller than their two large dogs.
He reminded me why I put up my guns when I moved back to California. 7% success rate, tiny deer, far too many a'Holes chasing them. (He more than qualified for the third part.)

We literally lived off of Game Meat in Wyoming for 6 of the 7 years we lived there.

Feral pigs, on the other hand, are a real problem. When a domestic pig gets loose, I've been told they can revert to wild ways within 3 weeks. And I know a sow can have large litters. So they reproduce exponentially, and can become dangerous. Javalina (a type of wild pig here) are known to charge. And the teeth are sharper than sharks teeth. That's why they can eat anything.
So the best piggy, is a piggy being cooked. Of any size.

I'd sooner grow mine. And did. Pigs, Steers, Goats, and Chicken. No doubt what they ate, or how they were raised.
Now, I live on the extreme outskirts of the city. And buy my meat fully processed. Then cook it enough to sterilize it.
It works for me in my Senior years. ;)

I've done it... skin off. The meat will dry out. I suggest getting some smoke on it low and slow and then wrap the whole thing in foil. you can add some apple juice, maybe a little butter (since there is less fat on a wild hog) then wrap it up and cook it to 203~205*...if you want to pull it.
I agree with indaswamp...also why I suggest basting and on that a fairly oily bast.

I understand Sonny, My grandmother grew up on a farm in Ireland and was in-charge of the chickens. From raising to butchering. She told us some wild stories. I was born in Brooklyn NY, moved to Ithaca NY, on to Jersey and finally wound up in VT. So I wasn't exposed to hunting as a young'n. My in-laws are true woodchucks and have hunted everything from frog to bear. It took me a while to get used to seeing the game hanging in their back shed. Lucky for us wild hogs haven't made their way to VT just yet(I think there close). So I still kinda turn my head when I see a skinned animal.

Chris

Shooting a .308. I was shooting for one about 75lbs but my shot hit a tpost being used to sturdy up the feeder. I am guessing my bullet was deflected and hit this little fellow!

The larger hogs keep knocking the feeders over and destroying them, so I use t posts driven into the ground and the feeder legs are secured to the tposts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky