Sirloin tip on the WSM - Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
Judy & I have been wanting some roast beef sammies for a while & my stash is gone from the freezer. Publix had them on sale here for $3.99 per pound, not a great savings, but we decided to get one. When I checked them out they were $3.29 if you bought the whole tip. So I did.

a75d9c2f_Sirlointip12-08-111.jpg

We tied it up with butcher string to get it more uniform in shape and then coated it with thick Worcestershire sauce then Montreal steak seasoning.

bdb2cd99_Sirlointip12-08-112.jpg

Wrapped it in saran wrap & into the fridge overnight.

306013dc_Sirlointip12-08-113.jpg

Going to use Chef Jimmy J's au jus recipe, so started cutting up the veggies. Here is his recipe.

ChefJimmy’s Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour, 

THEN  add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,

1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)

1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus then quickly removed, take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor. 

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy

206c044d_Sirlointip12-08-114.jpg

Next get the WSM ready. Minnion method. Should be a 5 or 6 hour smoke so I don't need much fuel. Just a few lit briquettes at one end so the fire follows around the circle. If the roast gets done before the charcoal is all burned I just shut the vents down & the fire goes out, so I can use whats left next time.

b1abebed_Sirlointip12-08-115.jpg

Got the roast ready to go on. One last dusting with Montreal and I like putting a grate over a pan like this instead of putting the pan on the bottom rack. I really prefer to cook on the bottom rack so this method works well for me.

e7facbfd_Sirlointip12-08-116.jpg

OK into the WSM.

5edcdbbd_Sirlointip12-08-117.jpg

Getting some nice TBS!

3975f29b_Sirlointip12-08-119.jpg

The smoker has been running at 225 & at 5 hours & 50 minutes the roast is at 135, which is what I'm looking for. I'll get the thermapen & check it in a few places just to be sure. Yep it's ready to come off.

1adf97b4_Sirlointip12-08-118.jpg

Time to wrap it in foil & start the Au jus.

e33f7b30_Sirlointip12-08-1110.jpg

Pour the drippings & stock into a pan & add the wine, let it come to a boil, then simmer for 20-30 minutes.

3873a4c8_Sirlointip12-08-1111.jpg

While the Au jus is simmering, I have some potato's coated with EVOO & Kosher salt. There going into a 400 degree oven. I don't like to smoke the potato's because they really take on a lot of smoke and with the smoked gravy it just seems like too much.

86565aa2_Sirlointip12-08-1112.jpg

The Au jus is ready to strain.

0881c67d_Sirlointip12-08-1113.jpg

We split the Au jus into two pots. The one in the back we added corn starch to for gravy. Nothing like hot roast beef sammies with gravy all over them. The front one is just the Au jus.

bcd44c83_Sirlointip12-08-1114.jpg

We had to slice a few pieces off the end for dinner.

39e76cce_Sirlointip12-08-1115.jpg

Roast beef, corn & baked potato with some of that delicious gravy on it!

32fdd2ea_Sirlointip12-08-1116.jpg

Here's a closeup of the beef, it was delicious!

37ceee19_Sirlointip12-08-1117.jpg

After all night in the fridge & 1 hour in the freezer it time to slice it up. It's a big chunk of meat so I'll have to get the bad boy slicer out.

7c83cf01_Sirlointip12-08-1120.jpg

Judy is the resident slicer.

ce975252_Sirlointip12-08-1121.jpg

We like it paper thin.

55b7fefe_Sirlointip12-08-1122.jpg

I think Judy's getting tired, she's reaching for my beer.

48a510e4_Sirlointip12-08-1123.jpg

That's one big pile of meat!

be5d0fe4_Sirlointip12-08-1124.jpg

OK time to clean up & get ready to vac pack all the roast beef, we always use a chlorine based cleaner on the counters & the slicer. Anything that has had meat touch it gets cleaned with Clorox cleanup.

b5d94aa6_Sirlointip12-08-1125.jpg

Before I vac pack it all up it's time for a sammie. I didn't have any swiss cheese so I used a couple of slices of pepper jack & topped the sammie with fresh horseradish. Put a little butter on the bread then the cheese.

6d44c21a_Sirlointip12-08-1118.jpg

And one for Judy too.

f17fa3a1_Sirlointip12-08-1119.jpg

Vac packed the rest, but kept about 1 1/2 pounds out for the weekend. Put it in the foodsaver container. Nothing like a little football, RB sammies, and a couple of beers.

6dc2fdfc_Sirlointip12-08-1126.jpg

That's all folks, hope you enjoyed the show. 

I thank you for taking the time to check out this thread!

Pure heaven! You won't have a sammie shortage any time soon. When you did the au jus and added the tomato paste etc... after the first hour, do you put it back on smoker til meat is finished?

Pure heaven! You won't have a sammie shortage any time soon. When you did the au jus and added the tomato paste etc... after the first hour, do you put it back on smoker til meat is finished?
Yes, instead of putting it all in at the beginning you just get some smoke on the veggies first, then add the broth & other ingredients to the pan. I just opened the smoker & poured it in on top of the veggies at the 1 hour mark. Chef JJ really has some incredible recipes & this Au Jus is the best I have ever had.

Looks awesome as usual Al. I love that slicer. The first  time I made roast beef slices I though mine was missing something. it needed more flavor in the meat. I made a note to possibly inject it with beef broth and spices. Maybe I just didn't rub it and let  it rest long enough.

Looks awesome as usual Al. I love that slicer. The first  time I made roast beef slices I though mine was missing something. it needed more flavor in the meat. I made a note to possibly inject it with beef broth and spices. Maybe I just didn't rub it and let  it rest long enough.

I use Montreal chicken or steak seasoning on just about every thing I smoke. Well not ham or fatties, etc.

But you get my drift, it is a very good seasoning & the steak seasoning on any beef is better than any of the rubs I have tried. For poultry the chicken seasoning is just as good. I keep trying other rubs, but always come back to Montreal. I don't inject very often because of the 4 hour rule. When I probed this roast at 3 hours the temp IT was 95 degrees. If I had injected or probed it I would have never made it through the danger zone. The combo of JJ's Au Jus & the Montreal gave the roast more than enough flavor. 

I use Montreal chicken or steak seasoning on just about every thing I smoke. Well not ham or fatties, etc.

But you get my drift, it is a very good seasoning & the steak seasoning on any beef is better than any of the rubs I have tried. For poultry the chicken seasoning is just as good. I keep trying other rubs, but always come back to Montreal. I don't inject very often because of the 4 hour rule. When I probed this roast at 3 hours the temp IT was 95 degrees. If I had injected or probed it I would have never made it through the danger zone. The combo of JJ's Au Jus & the Montreal gave the roast more than enough flavor. 

I use Canadian Steak seasoning which I think tastes a lot like the Montreal Steak seasoning. I think I have a jug of Montreal Steak seasoning as well somewhere.

I used to use the Canadian as well, then Sam's stopped carrying it & I switched to Montreal. I have been using it ever since. The flavor is a little different, but both are very good.

Looks delicious Al!!!

Nice plate!!

Craig

icon_cool.gif

Now thats gonna make a boat load of really good sammies there Al. I have a 17lber peeled kuckle in the refrig awaiting the smoker myself. We are out of roast beef.

Last edited:
It all looks amazing. This post might have just conviced my wife that we need a deli slicer!

That looked fantastic, I need to try this also, I should not hang out here so much, you guys are a bad influence on me.

I noticed you moved Your Beer a little out of reach in the one picture.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky