SIMPLE Incredibly Tasty Foolproof Ribs Every Time! GUARANTEED ...but there is a catch- (My journe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fwismoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
North East Indiana
When I first started cooking ribs I was reading every article, forum and rib post. Anything I could find to guide me to making the best pork ribs. Keep in mind I knew NOTHING about how to cook them. What kind of seasonings do I use, How long do I cook them, How do i know when they're done etc....?  At the time the most common method I'd run into was the 3-2-1 where you cook  spare ribs 3 hours in the open- 2 hours in foil and 1 hour back in the open. Ended up with some success and also some failures along the way.   I was cooking some too long and some not long enough. I messed around with some tasty recipes like where you put brown sugar, spray with Parkay etc... and had some pretty good results.   The next evolution was just cooking ribs "nekkid" where you just cook them direct or indirect with no foiling.   From cooking baby backs and spare ribs both ways I was finding myself leaning towards simplicity and just cooking them on the cook grate with no foil until they were done and tender. This of course is personal preference but this is what was working the best for me and my family but this method was giving very good and consistent results. 

The next thing I struggled with was figuring out the perfect time to pull them when they're done. Did I go by temperature, bend test or toothpick test?   Well didn't take long to realize temp wasn't a good indicator of doneness and the the bend test wasn't very reliable especially when the ribs were cooked with direct heat.  The toothpic test never failed me and that's what I still use today.  It's when you use either a toothpick or something skinny like a thermapen probe to probe in between the bones.  When the probe goes in with very little resistance (like a knife through warm butter) I pull them. 

Now I'm cooking better ribs than when I was doing the 3-2-1  or 2-2-1  and nekkid  grate cooked...Hands down.   The only catch to this method is you need a rotisserie and you're limited to a few racks of ribs depending on the size of your grill. 

I started experimenting with putting the ribs on the spit rod where you weave the rack onto a spit rod. You can use this method directly over a heat source or indirect.  It was making for some pretty tasty results!  The outside would develop a little more texture (very tasty outside) and the inside would be so juicy. Cooking ribs this way of course there was no way to do the bend test even if you wanted to, The only way to check for doneness is to use the toothpick method.    The down side to cooking ribs this way is being limited to 1 rack of ribs because that's all that would fit on the spit rod...bummer  
icon_sad.gif

Ok so I started thinking of ways to fit more racks of ribs on the spit rod and long story short this is where I'm at.   I'm using OctoForks rotisserie forks and now I can fit several whole racks onto my UDS rotisserie spit or quite a few half racks of ribs on my kettle grill rotisserie or mini Weber Smokey Mountain.   Besides fitting more ribs on the rotisserie there was a lot of other side benefits.  My ribs were getting continuously self basted where the juices would constantly baste over the entire rib surface creating this tasty glaze!  The ribs were staying much more moist spinning/ self basting vertically than they were horizontally.  I could also cook much hotter if I wanted and wasn't getting burned. They're cooking much faster for me this way too. If you want to cook ribs for dinner I've done them as fast as 60 minutes with baby back ribs or about 90 minutes with spare ribs. 

The only steps it takes to these fool proof ribs:

1) Score the ribs membrane or remove it

2) Coat with olive oil and rub

3) Place either 1/2 rack or full rack on the OctoForks (depending on your grill size)  

4) Rotisserie until tender- Cook as slow or fast as you want with indirect or even direct heat.  I've cooked them 225-250* and also 400-450* and both ways come out amazing!

It's as simple as that. You will have 1st class ribs each and every time!   Here's some pictures of using different cookers doing ribs this way.  When I want them sauced or glazed I'll brush it on while they're spinning the last half hour of the cook. 

In my little 18.5" mini WSM I could fit 3 racks of ribs on the spit. This cook was four 1/2 racks. 

Half racks of St Louis Style on the Weber Kettle

Full Rack St Louis on the UDS rotisserie (direct fire)

I hope this little rib story will be of benefit for those that are new to ribs or just want to make better ribs!    Like I said there's just one catch and that is you need a rotisserie...It's a great way to BBQ!

Reactions: crazymoon and b-one
Keith I have to agree with the tooth pick,did a rack yesterday with a probe inserted,I hit my temp did the tooth pick test let them sit 15 more minutes

Richie

Nice write up and very good looking ribs!

I've yet to do ribs on the rotisserie, but it's on the agenda.
Thank you sir!   Yes definitely start experimenting with rotisserie ribs. They'll turn out a little different cooker to cooker but always come out fantastic.

Keith I have to agree with the tooth pick,did a rack yesterday with a probe inserted,I hit my temp did the tooth pick test let them sit 15 more minutes

Richie
Richie yep, It's definitely the best way to get consistently good ribs. 

GREAT write up thanks! This speaks volumes to me....

I make some good ribs. Occasionally, I make GREAT ribs! I too have been tweaking my method even after all these years looking for an improvement here or there. It is a hobby afterall, just happens to be a tasty one.  I have tried different cooking methods, different grills and even tried Sous Vide Ribs a few times.

One thing I am now set on is the best ones come out when I do not foil, so I have stopped messing with that. It is all ribs all day on the pit. My best ribs also come from my BGE so far.

That said, I recently aquired a RIb-O-Lator that can hold up to 4 racks at a time on a rotisserie.

This seems like it may be a winning idea. I had not considered that I could speed up the entire cook by a significant amount using a rotisserie! That will be a bonus. This thing will work on my Weber Natural Gasser, My Weber Kettle, or even the Egg with the Kamado Joe adaptor. 

After reading your post, I am ready to hit Costco and dive in! THANKS for the post, the inspiration, and the Q-view!

Very interesting!! And those ribs look absolutely delicious!! 
Thank you Sauced.  Oh and speaking of "sauced" they're always better brushing some on while they're spinning.  Last cook I brushed on some melted apricot preserves... oh so good!

GREAT write up thanks! This speaks volumes to me....

I make some good ribs. Occasionally, I make GREAT ribs! I too have been tweaking my method even after all these years looking for an improvement here or there. It is a hobby afterall, just happens to be a tasty one.  I have tried different cooking methods, different grills and even tried Sous Vide Ribs a few times.

One thing I am now set on is the best ones come out when I do not foil, so I have stopped messing with that. It is all ribs all day on the pit. My best ribs also come from my BGE so far.

That said, I recently aquired a RIb-O-Lator that can hold up to 4 racks at a time on a rotisserie.

This seems like it may be a winning idea. I had not considered that I could speed up the entire cook by a significant amount using a rotisserie! That will be a bonus. This thing will work on my Weber Natural Gasser, My Weber Kettle, or even the Egg with the Kamado Joe adaptor. 

After reading your post, I am ready to hit Costco and dive in! THANKS for the post, the inspiration, and the Q-view!
Thanks.  Yes those OctoForks will fit on any spit rod up to 1/2" so yea the Joetisserie, kettle and gasser.  As far as shorter cook times I'd guess I'm running about 25% less off the normal. The heat hits all the meat surface very evenly. 

Great looking ribs!

I guess a roti is on the todo list!

Al
So many ways to do one too Al. You could do open fire kit over a fire pit, WSM, Kettle, Kamado roti or even a gas.  Whether the cooker is smaller and you do 1/2 racks or bigger when you can do full they come out amazing either way.   The first thing you'll notice is this glaze that develops...it's crazy!  Still blows me away

I agree rotisserie ribs rock! I can get two racks on my 22.5. The ribolator is okay but not as nice as on the spit/Oktoforks that I still haven't assembled.:devil:
If you cook them hot and fast I don't notice a difference membrane or not.

I agree rotisserie ribs rock! I can get two racks on my 22.5. The ribolator is okay but not as nice as on the spit/Oktoforks that I still haven't assembled.
devil.gif

If you cook them hot and fast I don't notice a difference membrane or not.
They should have sent you them assembled it sounds like...I heard it wasn't even a 1/8 beer project to put them together ;) 

The only rotisserie I have is on my Turbo gas grill.  I wonder if that would work with an AMNPS?  Any ideas?

rd
I know the OctoForks would work fine in the grill. For most ribs doing half racks you'd need about 5" out from the spit rod and you'd have that.   As far as the AMPS goes the last time I spoke with Todd he said people put them in their gassers all the time so you should be good to go!  

Last edited:
Reactions: randyrayd
you can still add smoke to the gas grill as i do.. my Weber Geniuse i put the shallow wood tray i use son my smoker over the front burner..my geniuses has front to back three burners, its first version i think....anyway use chunks with chips and pellets and lite quicker and get chips going then the chunks get hot enough..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky