Settle the debate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rw 12

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 8, 2024
Ok rub a steak 1 or 2 hours before or the day before ? 1 some say two hours is good some say 24 hrs makes the meat dry and cooks it .

Reactions: JLeonard
The longer the meat is salted, the faster it will cook. So season and on the grill is longer than a salt and fridge (dry brine) cook.they both work fine but you cook them for different times at same temp, make sense?

Reactions: JLeonard
The longer the meat is salted, the faster it will cook. So season and on the grill is longer than a salt and fridge (dry brine) cook.they both work fine but you cook them for different times at same temp, make sense?
It does thanks! I always reverse sear

The salt removes water, and dries the meat. Just like dry aged steaks cook much faster than fresh. They are dried, the salting does the same kind of thing.
I gotta disagree.

Dry brining a steak should not 'remove' water/juices, it does not dry out the meat, just the reverse.
Properly done Dry Brining results in cellular level osmosis or diffusion (depending on who is explaining the science behind it.) that initially brings juices/ moisture to the surface of the meat, and it is then re-absorbed and 'locked' into the meat.
Moisture is locked in and out after a proper dry brining.
This leaves the surface of the meat dry and allows for a better crust and juicier steak.

I dry brine one side at a time to allow the process to fully complete.
About 4 hours per side normally does it.

Steaks always get dry brined if i can manage it, it really does improve a steak.
I exclusively dry brine steaks, no wet brining.
I don't want any natural juices lost and replaced with mere salt water.

Whereas I will wet or dry brine pork depending on the cut.
Lean gets wet, fatty gets dry.
Pork also always gets brined if I can make time.

Poultry isn't as big of a deal.
But it can definitely help.

I gotta disagree.
Me too .
Dry brining a steak should not 'remove' water/juices, it does not dry out the meat, just the reverse.
Properly done Dry Brining results in cellular level osmosis or diffusion (depending on who is explaining the science behind it.) that initially brings juices/ moisture to the surface of the meat, and it is then re-absorbed and 'locked' into the meat.
Perfectly stated .

some say 24 hrs makes the meat dry and cooks it .
Not steak , but same result .
Pork roast dry brined overnight .
20220410_141821.jpg
Cooked to sliceable temp ( you can see the therm )
20220410_183852.jpg
Tender and extremely juicy .
20220410_184304.jpg

It absolutely does. The osmosis reaction draws water (liquid) out with sodium diffusion. That moisture will not be reabsorbed in to the meat until the center or middle of that meat becomes more sodium rich than the exterior, at which point the diffusion process reverses. Again, no offense, but do you technically understand the process of diffusion and osmosis in meat with sodium?

No offense taken by any means
I'm old school, debate is a chance to hear multiple sides and maybe learn from both.

Dry Brining and Dry Aging are completely different processes with very different results.
Yet your second post, quoted below, directly associate the two as having the same result.
At least that's how I read it.

Dry Brinings end result is locking in the meat's natural moisture/juices.
Granted, moisture was brought to the surface, I guess you could call it removed (temporarily).
But then it is re-absorbed and the meat is not dry in the interior, just the outside.
It may lose a very small amount due to evaporation before being re-absorbed.

Dry Aging does indeed dry the meat out.
It loses up to 30% of it's volume in water.
That moisture is not re-absorbed by the meat, it's gone and the meat is indeed dryer both inside and out.
It works its particular magic by concentrating the flavor.

The salt removes water, and dries the meat.
Just like dry aged steaks cook much faster than fresh.
They are dried, the salting does the same kind of thing.

Last edited:
No offense taken by any means
I'm old school, debate is a chance to hear multiple sides and maybe learn from both.

Dry Brining and Dry Aging are completely different processes with very different results.
Yet your second post, quoted below, directly associate the two as having the same result.
At least that's how I read it.

Dry Brinings end result is locking in the meat's natural moisture/juices.
Granted, moisture was brought to the surface, I guess you could call it removed (temporarily).
But then it is re-absorbed and the meat is not dry in the interior, just the outside.
It may lose a very small amount due to evaporation before being re-absorbed.

Dry Aging does indeed dry the meat out.
It loses up to 30% of it's volume in water.
That moisture is not re-absorbed by the meat, it's gone and the meat is indeed dryer both inside and out.
It works its particular magic by concentrating the flavor.
Wow great info thank yall ! Its like brisket fat side up or down wrap or dont wrap lol thanks i take what i learn from people and use what i learn and see what works best

Reactions: chilerelleno
John, for me it's .45acp! Now for steaks, best I'll say is to do what a full time chef explained to me. Let it sit salted (plus other seasonings if you wish) on the counter for a minimum of 45 minutes before going on the grill.

9 vs 45…. I think the right answer is both…..

With a bit more than 20k of steaks under my belt….. my thoughts on seasoning is similar to the above what Shultz chef budy said…..for steaks season a head “if you wish” but otherwise season it up and go to sear town……if it works for GR it works me me…… I choose to hit it with a sauce or if sliced a dash after…..

Last edited:
9mm P-365. less forensics if you hit the target right.
I gotta stop getting up and reading all this osmosis stuff in the middle of the night.
So, I just hit it with coarse kosher and fresh grind coarse black, or multi-color if I'm feeling trippy.

Let sit an hour. If the steak is thick enough it then goes in MES at 225. stays to 115,. while its on/in the MES,
Get cast iron griddle on the side burner of the napoleon to pink hot. Sear the ever-loving $%^ for about a minute a side. rest, then serve. If it's a shitty thin steak same process minus thelow/slow.
15-20 briquettes in the smokey Joe and just real hot it to 125.
(130 for mama)
I'm sure I didn't help any here, it's just nice to share and not get grief like on FB forum BS.
Iv' e tried a couple SV first, just not tickled with the whole SV result.

I gotta disagree.

Moisture is locked in and out after a proper dry brining.
This leaves the surface of the meat dry and allows for a better crust and juicier steak.

I dry brine one side at a time to allow the process to fully complete.
About 4 hours per side normally does it.

Steaks always get dry brined if i can manage it, it really does improve a steak.
I exclusively dry brine steaks, no wet brining.
I don't want any natural juices lost and replaced with mere salt water.

Whereas I will wet or dry brine pork depending on the cut.
Lean gets wet, fatty gets dry.
Pork also always gets brined if I can make time.

Poultry isn't as big of a deal.
But it can definitely help.
Yup, what he said. Shorter Time when I have poor planning but dry brining makes a real good steak!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky