Seeking local advice - Great River Road

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wade

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Apr 12, 2013
Kent, UK
Having previous had great road trip vacations in the USA (driving Route 66, exploring Texas and also driving right around the Grand Canyon) we have this year settled on driving part of the Great River Road in May/June. We plan to start from Chicago, take a short tour to Knob Creek in Kentucky before driving to St Louis and then down the GRR to New Orleans. If any of you have local knowledge of great places to stay, visit or eat along that rout I would really appreciate the information. We can find all the touristy stuff from TripAdvisor but what I am looking for are some of the more unusual and interesting places to see that we would pass by unaware without local knowledge.

Places to stay. We loved the quirkiness of the Little A'Le Inn in Nevada and are hoping to fine similar quirky places this trip too. Someone has already suggested the Old Cotton Picker in Clarksdale

Places to see: Places that you may have come across unexpectedly and think they are worth sharing.

Places to eat: This is very important. Places to eat authentic local dishes - especially as we approach New Orleans. Gumbo, Jambalaya etc. Also any other local dish that we may not have heard of that do not involve eating too many endangered species 
biggrin.gif

All suggestions gratefully received 
icon14.gif

Wade

If and when you hit New Orleans, You will have to try a Beignets, Also a pignay which is a sausage wrapped in a beignet. Louisiana has some amazing food as well. Any Etouffee dish especially the crawfish, A classic Muffuletta sandwich, or Po boy, The Jambalaya is a must, But if you can try both the Red and the Brown. Gumbo is a must, And of course Andouille and Boudin sausage. Gator and Catfish and the list goes on... I am sure I missed some but I have to say that the food in Louisiana is outstanding. I have not yet been to Kentucky But that is on my list and so is Missouri. Any BBQ pit / house as well.  That's my 2 cents..... Enjoy your travels and be safe.... Charlie

I have not run the river road in a long time . However you might want to check out Pere Marquette State park . They have cabins / rooms . A nice lodge and things to do in the park . 

Thanks Charlie. I am certainly looking forward to eating Gator and catfish again. The last catfish I ate was quite a few years ago in St Louis in the Bristol Bar and Grill.

The Lodges look good too Chopsaw. We will certainly take a look at them.

Thanks - Wade

Wade,

When in St. Louis make a stop at Pappy's. That is my wife and i's favorite place to get ribs. Bully's in Columbia, IL has a great pork steak. Gallagher's in Waterloo, IL has great burgers, steaks, and fried chicken. There is a small place in Red Bud, IL called "The Shoe". Great little diner with good food.

When you get down into Southern Illinois look up some of the wineries. A lot of them have little cabins to stay in.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky