Scotch egg question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

donr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Akron, Ohio
I'm going to be making scotch eggs for a May the 4th Be with You day thing at work.  I'm calling them Endor Forest Oysters.

About how much sausage do you use per dozen eggs.  I just want to make sure I have enough on hand.

I got 3 dozen smaller eggs (not Bantam size though) from my friends chickens.  Going to attempt to soft boil them so they may drip on your chin.

I will have to roll them up the night before and have them in the fridge overnight.

Thanks

Don

I usually figure around 2 pounds per dozen, for large grocery store eggs. If you have a grinder you can grind your own. Use pork butt. You can season it with Fassett's breakfast sausage mix then add to this or just add the meat without the breakfast sausage mix.
  • 1 small bunch fresh chives , finely chopped
  • 1 small bunch fresh parsley , leaves picked and finely chopped
  • 1 whole nutmeg grated
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • sea salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • plain flour , for dusting
  • 150 g breadcrumbs or panko
Fassett's:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/83939/fassetts-breakfast-sausage-seasoning

Boil your eggs for 3-4 minutes. shock in ice water until cool. Peel. This will give you a runny yolk.

Deep fried these only take about 4 minutes in 300° oil. You can also bake them if you prefer, I have never been able to get a runny yolk baking though. Serve hot if you are going for runny yolks. Most are not fans of cold runny yolks.

Last edited:
DR, I have been using 2 pounds of hot JD and two pounds of regular Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage for 18-20 eggs. I do put it on a bit heavy !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky