Perfect hard-boiled eggs - every time.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ha I'm the same way. The wife usually makes ours. Although we do steam sometimes. I think you mean @Coreymacc. I believe he's the one that mentioned he uses the veggie steamer. I was the anchovies guy.

Chris
Ooopppsss, my bad lol! It was the shrimp steamer that noboundaries noboundaries posted. We use it for crablegs!

Ryan

The guy is definitely smokin something but first words out of his mouth: "put the eggs in boiling water" if you want them to peel easy... :emoji_sunglasses:
Well he is French and part Italian. He has cooked for Presidents and along side Julia Child. He has a flair to his cooking that makes everything look easy and fun to make. He has taken to youtube to share his expertise as he retires from the busy life of running restaurants. I have made a lot of his dishes and the way he explains how to make them is very easy to duplicate.

Well he is French and part Italian. He has cooked for Presidents and along side Julia Child. He has a flair to his cooking that makes everything look easy and fun to make. He has taken to youtube to share his expertise as he retires from the busy life of running restaurants. I have made a lot of his dishes and the way he explains how to make them is very easy to duplicate.
He certainly has lots of exuberance!

I wasn't being critical :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: KBFlyer
Sunday 20-egg egg salad.

Why 20-eggs? Because I ate 4 yesterday when I boiled them! :emoji_sunglasses:

20 perfect easy-to-peel (peeled) hard boiled eggs (baaad lighting - I think iPhone photos of food work better close up). I had a full photo-essay but the photos came out bad.
IMG_1892.JPG

And the finished product
IMG_1897.JPG

Perfecto! Taste fantastic.

Reactions: mosparky
Awesome, egg salad never looked so good. Might have to ask for that recipe. Edit: Never mind found it !
Just did a dozen. Half of them in salt water, second half in same salt water with a bit of baking soda added. Curiosity got the better of me. I saw a FB post some one had issues with both (individually) And had great results when combined.
Amish eggs are on the horizon. She-beast HATES the smell of heated vinegar, let the B***hing begin:emoji_smiling_imp:

Last edited:
Looks like this method is working well for you, Spook. And that egg salad looks amazing, I need to go make some, right away!

I was over at my parent's the other day and my mom was making hard boiled eggs trying the thousandth magic method of doing it she read about. I'm thinking, 80 years old and still trying to figure out the elusive peelable boiled eggs?! She wont listen to me nor will my wife.

I discovered steaming eggs a long time ago and it's worked well. Don't need a steaming basket, just about a half inch of water in a pan, bring to a full boil, remove from heat, carefully place the egg(s) in the pan, then return to med-high heat. 7 mins for soft boiled, 10 minutes for that slightly soft yolks and 12 for firm yolk. Then carefully pour out most of the water and cover the eggs with cold tap water.

I also puncture the eggs on the fat end with a thumbtack/push-pin before cooking.

Almost immediately begin peeling starting at that fat end where there is usually an air pocket after a few raps on the counter to begin breaking the shell. Puncturing the egg also breaches that membrane and starts a little water underneath even while cooking. A little drizzle from the faucet helps any resistors but the key is getting under that membrane to start with. It all starts there, and the water drizzle helps that when needed.

My personal experience with fully chilling the eggs is not good. My theory is peeling the eggs while they are closer to still warm allows the flexibility of the egg to be used to assist peeling. When the eggs are cold and hard, in my experience its harder, but I know the concept is that the cooler egg shrinks away from the shell.

To each their own! Now, egg salad for lunch!

Reactions: Retired Spook
I despise boiled eggs. Blech. I did make a batch of potato salad last week for the lady and the little monsters and I put eggs in the part that I made for them (of course I left those nasty things out of mine lol).

I always start with cold water (I actually put ice in the water) and enough salt to make ocean water taste like distilled and bring the temp up slowly, never on high, and the eggs are done about 3 minutes after the water boils. it USUALLY works. I probably won't boil another egg until Thanksgiving but when I do I'll remember to come back and check this post out.

EDIT: Edit - I also pour off 90% of the water and add more ice to stop the cooking process.

Insta-Pot 5-5-5 method makes perfect "hard boiled" eggs every time, just put a cup of water in the bottom, set it to manual for 5 minutes, after the end of cook let it naturally release for 5 minutes, then put them in and ice bath for 5 minutes. They peel super easy, and you can stack them up and do a lot at once if you need/want to.

Insta-Pot 5-5-5 method makes perfect "hard boiled" eggs every time, just put a cup of water in the bottom, set it to manual for 5 minutes, after the end of cook let it naturally release for 5 minutes, then put them in and ice bath for 5 minutes. They peel super easy, and you can stack them up and do a lot at once if you need/want to.
I can do it without an Insta-Pot! Just like grandma used to do...

:emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: noboundaries
LOL...It ain't so much the boiling an egg, it's getting the Blanketey blank shell off the Dang thing. Prior to this thread I could hook you up with all the yolks you could ever want but the whites were gonna have a little crunch to them
I tried adding the baking soda to the salt water and got no noticeable difference. Each had a few holy grails of 2 piece shells.
Sure enough I just finished filling the jar with eggs for the Amish eggs and the she beast says she'd like some for her lunches and snacking. Another dozen on the way, dear.
We reached a point years ago, we had the grandkids coloring eggs at Easter just so they would look pretty in the trash can. Tried to peel them. They had more divots than a golf ball and still had a little crunch time to time. Must have pitched nearly a hundred eggs over the years.
Sure am glad the price of eggs is way down in these parts.

I made a batch of 15 this morning. Total peeling time was like 3-4 minutes and not a single egg fought me. A couple sticky membrane spots, but very minor. No salty language heard in the kitchen.

Used the steamer pot but submerged the cold eggs in boiling, salted water per RS. 14 mins (wife's preference) on a low boil, then dumped water, covered with cold water, and added ice when cubes melted. No running water.

I should be able to get 30 eggs in that pot and not have to go to confession.

Ahhhhhh..

Ray

20230828_110129.jpg

I made a batch of 15 this morning. Total peeling time was like 3-4 minutes and not a single egg fought me. A couple sticky membrane spots, but very minor. No salty language heard in the kitchen.

Used the steamer pot but submerged the cold eggs in boiling, salted water per RS. 14 mins (wife's preference) on a low boil, then dumped water, covered with cold water, and added ice when cubes melted. No running water.

I should be able to get 30 eggs in that pot and not have to go to confession.

Ahhhhhh..

Ray

View attachment 674618
They look like egg artwork Ray! :emoji_sunglasses:

I broke down and asked my wife. She grew up with a literal mile of chickens. There's not much she doesn't know about eggs.
She said older eggs boil easier. Add a slug of vinegar to the water and cool them quickly with ice water.
Then she told me her secret. Here it is. A submersible timer she's had forever.
Perfect every time.
20230828_170319.jpg

Never seen a submersible egg timer before, thats pretty cool.

I had my first soft boiled egg in Ireland at about age 20 and remembered it some years later and went on an almost daily soft boiled egg regimen for several years (direct in the pan steaming method I wrote about...7 min). Fortunately YouTube was around by then and I learned you can actually just cut that fat end off with a knife through the shell to prop up in one of those egg holders (I use a shot glass) to eat it directly from the shell with a spoon...and lots of salt and pepper for me.

Soft boiled eggs are a breeze to peel in my experience, and they are great over a piece of toast...all yolky and whatnot...would make Guy Fieri dry heave.

I also learned somewhere that old eggs were best for peeling. Eggs can be kept in the fridge much longer than the best by date on the carton, and fresh farm eggs can be kept on the counter for a few weeks as long as the coating they come out of the chicken with has not been washed off.

The "how to boil the perfectly peelable egg" conversation has been going on longer than we have been alive...and still going!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky