Save a Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gibbytdog

Original poster
Aug 5, 2015
So had 16 lbs of pork on my Traeger. At midnight it was at 145 degrees, and then I fell asleep and It erred in the middle of the night. Woke at 530 with the pork at 70 degrees. I ran down (screaming and cursing) and wrapped them in foil and got into oven at 275.

Anyone have an idea what to expect on the outcome of the meat? Do I just reheat and bring to normal 200 temp, or should I do Something different since it was cooked already to 150 before it cooled?

Side note. I HATE my Traeger Pro 34...have yet to have a successful long cook on it without errors, and can't get above 350 in temp either. Anyways... I digress.

Thoughts?

Chances are it is safe to eat. Sounds like it got through the safe zone but had the error at or during the stall. Definitely finish in the oven, taking the internal temp to 205F.

I know electrics and pellets are popular these days, but situations like yours are a risk when electrons are doing the smoking/cooking. Sometimes its the smoker, sometimes the operator. If you can figure out what caused the error you can help prevent it from happening again. There are a lot of Traeger owners here, so please tap into their experience.

You should be fine, you could have just kept it on the smoker uncovered to get some more bark. But as safety goes you are just fine. Enjoy those PP sammies!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky