sausage noobie needs basic italian sausage recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bagbeard

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 24, 2013
Scotland, Ontario, Canada
my local country butcher makes fresh sausage on tuesdays and is going to set aside some of the special blend of pork cuts he uses for his gourmet sausages.  he offered to grind it for me but i want to experience the whole process. Does anyone have a good recipe for something that will taste like store bought italian sausage minus some of the salt.  i want to experiment but have a couple of young ones that dont do well with new foods, so i want to stick with tastes they know.

im looking for a fresh mild italian sausage.

any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks,

ps for hot smoking, what temp is good for sausage?

I am a big fan of alelovers (Scott) Italian sausage recipe.... I have made it many times and it's good.............
drool.gif

Hot smoke them between 180 and 225

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/115399/fresh-italian-sausage-with-pix

Boykjo

Last edited:
off to pick up my meat chucks at the butcher.  they use colagen casings so that is what i will try.  less work as well.  any comments on collagen vs natural?

Take em to 160.......... I prefer naturals but collagen will do just fine

well here there are. dark ones have red wine and crushed chilies. others are ice water , mild for the kids and wife.  fried up some of the meat , mmm.  cant wait to taste after the flavours blend and slow smoke them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky