SAUSAGE CURING CABINET BUILD - JC in GB PART ONE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Is the water in a closed loop system? Is that the reservoir container there in the back? Any idea how much energy you are using for the cooling system? How efficient is it?

Yes, it is a closed system.

I am not sure of the efficiency. I am drawing120 Watts of power to chill the water in the radiator and reservoir. I had to run the unit for 2.5 hours to drop temp from 67 to 50 F inside cabinet.

This seemingly takes a long time but when you are doing drying times in weeks, this is acceptable. What I really liked about the water chiller design for cooling is that the water only gets a few degrees below the chamber set temp. This means no icy blasts of dry air when the cooler powers on. Even better is no condensation drip off the radiator. It doesn't get cold enough to condense.

I switched out the large water reservoir for a smaller vessel and that cooled faster.

I am quite impressed with the operation of this cabinet so far. I think it will work wonderfully for curing.

chiller and reservoir.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: daveomak
Interested to follow your results once you get some salumi hanging in it...

I am quite anxious to get some salumi going in this cabinet.

I just got my supplies from The Sausage Maker and am in the planning stage for my first cure.

I am going to do some Salami Milano, cured, dried loin, and possibly some mortadella. I may make the mortadella cooked and not dried.

For my next trick, I will have to make a fermentation chamber. I have a few ideas for a portable chamber....

JC :emoji_cat:

Last edited:
I use a rubbermaid 30 gallon trash can with a snap on lid. (3) 1/2" wood dowels for rods to hang on...
Got that idea from Rick. It works great, and clean up is a cinch; just rinse it out, spray it good with dilute bleach and let sit with lid on over night. next day, rinse 3 times and let air dry. then store for next time.

I have mortadella on deck too. mine will be cooked as I have no room in my chamber.

I use a rubbermaid 30 gallon trash can with a snap on lid. (3) 1/2" wood dowels for rods to hang on...
Got that idea from Rick. It works great, and clean up is a cinch; just rinse it out, spray it good with dilute bleach and let sit with lid on over night. next day, rinse 3 times and let air dry. then store for next time.

I have mortadella on deck too. might will be cooked as I have no room in my chamber.

That sounds like a perfect set-up...

JC

What size casing for the Milano? reason I ask is because it is best to start off with a small dia. casing. One that will dry in about a month, so you can dial in your chamber with product first before investing in a long cure with a larger casing.

The trash can....ceramic bulb, cheap light base, and a 6' cord to plug into controller. Really no need for a water pan as the salamis will drip onto the floor of the can, it'll be 90-95% RH....

What size casing for the Milano? reason I ask is because it is best to start off with a small dia. casing. One that will dry in about a month, so you can dial in your chamber with product first before investing in a long cure with a larger casing.

I have 61mm and 76 mm protein lined casings. I was planning on using the 61 mm casings for the first run.

I would go smaller. 35-40 mm hog casings if you have them. You do not want to risk case hardening from a new chamber that has not been tested.... case hardening is more forgiving with small dia. salami....might still happen, but the product will dry and should not fail. But you will be able to see the dry rim when you slice, and can make adjustments to your parameters....

Reactions: JC in GB
I would go smaller. 35-40 mm hog casings if you have them. You do not want to risk case hardening from a new chamber that has not been tested.... case hardening is more forgiving with small dia. salami....might still happen, but the product will dry and should not fail. But you will be able to see the dry rim when you slice, and can make adjustments to your parameters....

Are fibrous casings more resistant to hardening than natural casings?

I received my spare inkbird temp. and RH controllers today. I am testing the temp. controller in my fermentation can with a ceramic heat lamp. And I am verifying the accuracy on the RH controller with wet salt in a container.

I wanted to have extra controllers on hand just in case one flips out while I have the chamber full. Would hate to lose it after putting so much time and effort into making the salamis. It's cheap insurance really. Bought the set for~ $70.

Reactions: JC in GB
I received my spare inkbird temp. and RH controllers today. I am testing the temp. controller in my fermentation can with a ceramic heat lamp. And I am verifying the accuracy on the RH controller with wet salt in a container.

I wanted to have extra controllers on hand just in case one flips out while I have the chamber full. Would hate to lose it after putting so much time and effort into making the salamis. It's cheap insurance really. Bought the set for~ $70.

Once I get a build done, I order a set of major components for replacements. It is never good having your controller fizz out in the middle of an operation.

I am still mulling over replacing the chiller with a 400 Watt chiller but for now, I will see how the 120W chiller does. Once I figure that out, I will order a replacement set of electronics.
Having the peace of mind that you can recover from most any failure is worth lots of $$$....

I have been thinking of doing a fermenting chamber with the Rubbermaid trash container. I am thinking that all I will likely need is a heater, water pan and humidity purge fan to get it right. I set my curing cabinet up to do dry or fermenting stage so my first run will be fine.

JC :emoji_cat:

I may do a few in my 31 mm hog casings. That should give me some fast drying salami. I am also going to use the 61 mm fibrous casing for a comparison.

JC

I have been thinking of doing a fermenting chamber with the Rubbermaid trash container. I am thinking that all I will likely need is a heater, water pan and humidity purge fan to get it right. I set my curing cabinet up to do dry or fermenting stage so my first run will be fine.
Really don't need the purge fan from reading some of the information on Marianski's forum over at meatsandsausages. You want the humidity 95%+ at the start of fermentation to keep the meat from losing water so the fermentation bacteria have free water they can use to grow and create acid. I have been ferementing without a purge fan for almost a year now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky