Salt & Sugar bacon Cure question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Taztriple

Original poster
Jul 20, 2023
Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread.

I have been trying my hand at bacon curing, I am only using salt and sugar, it works well, but I want to know if I should be leaving the liquid that is drawn out by the cure in the zip lock bag for the duration of the cure?

I am curing shoulder, collar and loin back pork to make the bacon, all of which has a lost of liquid content, if I drain the liquid will I be losing all the brine solution, essentially slowing or stopping the cure?
The majority of the liquid comes from the first 2 days of a 5 to 7 day cure. This is the loin back bacon after 4 days ( shon at this angle to highlight the volume of brine.

Thanks

Attachments

• fa7ef327-801c-461d-86c7-99437241ba51.jpg
    fa7ef327-801c-461d-86c7-99437241ba51.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 9
Leave the liquid in the bag. Some meat pieces will make more and less liquid, usually the meat will reabsorb most of it but it usually takes more than 7 days for that to happen. Also turn the bags over every day or every other day.

Reactions: Taztriple
Leave the liquid in the bag. Some meat pieces will make more and less liquid, usually the meat will reabsorb most of it but it usually takes more than 7 days for that to happen. Also turn the bags over every day or every other day.
Thank you, yes I do turn the bacon everyday.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky