SALAMI IN EAST TEXAS with LOTS OF PIC"S

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
SALAMI TIME IN EAST TEXAS

I have wanted to try Salami for a while, so today is the day. I am using Joe’s recipe.

(I would like to thank Joe for this great recipe. I am not saying this because I made it, I just followed

the recipe, but this is hands down a fantastic Salami, and super easy to make.)

Joe's Salami Recipe (Boykjo’s)

Steps:

1. Add 5 lbs. lean hamburger

2. Add 3.5 tsp Morton’s tender quick

3. Add 2 1/2 tsp garlic salt

4 .Add 2 1/2 tsp ground pepper

5. Add1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

6. Add1 tsp liquid smoke (I did not add this since I was smoking it)

7. Add1/2 oz. or 14g cultured buttermilk powder

8. Add1 tsp black peppercorns

9. 1 tsp mustard seed

Mix all ingredients 1-9 and set in fridge for 24 hrs.

Add steps 2 through 9 into the meat again and mix. let sit in fridge for another 24 hrs.

Fill into fibrous non edible casings and smoke till internal temp reaches 155 degrees... 

Day 1: I started with 5 lbs.  80/20 ground Angus, mixed everything 1 – 9 and in the fridge till tomorrow.

Day 2:  Mixed 2 through 9 thoroughly into the meat again, back in the fridge.

Day 3: Removed from the fridge let sit on the counter while I got everything ready. Soaking casing, got stuffer ready and fired up the smoker.(used 1 full chimney of charcoal)

Stuffed mixture into 4” fibrous clear casing that had been soaking in warm water for about 30 min.

Packed mixture as tight as could get it, took a needle and poked holes where the air pockets were, kept rolling and packing till I was happy tied the end and ready for the smoker.

Smoker holding steady at 115° to 120°  “I don’t have enough head room to hang vertically so I go horizontal”.

After a couple of hours at 115° opened my damper a little more to increase temp to 125°

Another hour and increased to 135°. Then to 145°, Internal temp of Salami is 97.5°

Added more charcoal and another split of pecan, temp at 155°

Kicked it on up to 165° then up to 175°, I’ll keep it there for the remainder of the smoke,

Looking for 155° IT.

It took 9.5 hours to hit 155° IT, Off the smoker and in the sink for a water bath. Cooled down to 90° and I the fridge to bloom.

OK - Slicing day, out of the fridge and on the slicer. I got 105 slices, packaged 8 slices per bag. (I ate the end slices)

For everybody who likes Salami they need to try this Recipe. It is super easy to make and I promise you won’t be disappointed. Ten times better than store bought. Thanks again Joe.

All the seasonings ready to go

First round of seasoning mixed

Seasoning measured abd ready for day 2

You can see the color change after day 1,  Mixed seasoning and back in the fridge

Day 3, out of the fridge and ready for the stuffer. 

In the stuffer and ready to go

Sorry for no pics while stuffing, hard to hold casing, turn the crank and take pictures.

You can see some air bubbles trapped in the casing.

Pricked the air pockets with pin, packed, rolled and tied.

Looks pretty good

Started out at about 115º for the first couple of hours

Bumping up the temp a little at a time

I kept bumping it 10º every hour till I got to 175º 

9.5 hours om the smoker and I was at 155 -156

A little shrinkage , Casing coming off anyway

In the sink for a swim, cooled down to 90 º removed from water, dried it and in the 

fridge on a cooling rack to bloom

I started with 5 lbs this is what I ended up with

Starting the slicing

Vacuum sealing, 12 bags with 8 slices each for the freezer, one bag out for me

Finished, 12 bags for the freezer, the rest in the fridge

Thanks for looking, 

Gary

Thanks, I appreciate it and the point  --------------------  Good Stuff !!!!

Gary

Hey Gary

That salami looks great.  Amazing how much the seasoning changed the color of the meat overnight.

So, just to be sure I understand, you mixed in 2 identical batches of seasoning about 24 hours apart---right??

Gonna be lots of VERY good sammies out of that sausage.

points.gif

Gary

Hey Gary

That salami looks great.  Amazing how much the seasoning changed the color of the meat overnight.

So, just to be sure I understand, you mixed in 2 identical batches of seasoning about 24 hours apart---right??

Gonna be lots of VERY good sammies out of that sausage.

points.gif

Gary
Yep, same amount of seasoning the next day.   And thanks for the point.   Gary you gotta try this one

That looks really good and I don't even like salami. One question I have is on a black cooker, on an uncovered patio, in Texas, .......how do you get it down to 115*?

Your sausage, balogna, etc. always looks great. You sure do have a good idea of what needs to be done. Thanks for all of the pics. Some of us get in a world of trouble by not posting pics. LOL.

:points:

Amazing! I'm now inspired to do this.

I'm liking the seasoning twice, that should make for a nice flavor.

:points: for the inspiration!

Also, I admire the way you can maintain the temps on the stick burner, that's not an easy task!

That looks really good and I don't even like salami. One question I have is on a black cooker, on an uncovered patio, in Texas, .......how do you get it down to 115*?

Your sausage, balogna, etc. always looks great. You sure do have a good idea of what needs to be done. Thanks for all of the pics. Some of us get in a world of trouble by not posting pics. LOL.

points.gif
Thanks Joe, for the kind review and point

Gary

Amazing! I'm now inspired to do this.

I'm liking the seasoning twice, that should make for a nice flavor.

points.gif
for the inspiration!

Also, I admire the way you can maintain the temps on the stick burner, that's not an easy task!
Thanks CB,  Flavor is fantastic

Gary

Looks great Gary.. Glad you liked it...... I might have to make a chub here soon.... I like to use the 90/10

Now that's what I call a pit master holding temps that .............
icon14.gif

Looks great Gary.. Glad you liked it...... I might have to make a chub here soon.... I like to use the 90/10

Now that's what I call a pit master holding temps that .............
icon14.gif

I was thinking the same thing, next time 90/10   I lost over a half pound  while smoking.

Thanks for the comment and point

Gary

Last edited:
Great looking Salami, Gary!!
drool.gif

You do Great Work!!
icon14.gif

Outstanding Thread Too!!------------------------------
points.gif

I hope you're not full of Bologna now!!
biggrin.gif

Bear

Great looking Salami, Gary!!
drool.gif

You do Great Work!!
icon14.gif

Outstanding Thread Too!!------------------------------
points.gif

I hope you're not full of Bologna now!!
biggrin.gif

Bear
Wife says I'm full of something !!!!   Thanks for the point and nice comment.

Gary

Dang it man that looks good, nice job, I will have to take some out of the freezer for this weekend and take to camp with me. 
points.gif

This stuff is great!! 

DS

Gary Nice job,I like the large casing,I would have to load my Cannon 3 times to fill that.LOL

Richie

I did type this yesterday and had a power failure,glad to see the point made it.

points.gif

Great job, Gary! :points:

Thanks for the post full of pics. I might give that a try sometime.

What sort of stuffer is that? I've never really thought about making sausage because I didn't want to invest in another relatively expensive and bulky machine. That one looks like I might be able to manage it.

:sausage:

Great job, Gary!
points.gif

Thanks for the post full of pics. I might give that a try sometime.

What sort of stuffer is that? I've never really thought about making sausage because I didn't want to invest in another relatively expensive and bulky machine. That one looks like I might be able to manage it.

sausage.gif
NORTHERN TOOL

Kitchener 5-Lb. Stainless Steel Sausage Stuffer

Item# 508314

C:%5CUsers%5CGary%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif

C:%5CUsers%5CGary%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_image002.gif

http://102  Reviews

9  Answered Questions

Only $99.99

NORTHERN TOOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky