safety concern!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kryinggame

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Greetings,

I'm going to smoke a 8.65 lb Boston Butt for tomorrow's big game. Based upon the weight and other factors such as, I want it to be ready by 5:00 P.M., I plan on putting the meat into my MES at 1:00 A.M.

i know it typically adds hours to the cookign time when you attempt to cook cold meat. I'm heading out to a small party tonight at around 10:00. Would it be safe to leave the Boston Butt on the counter top (wrapped in a Glad bag) for 3 or 4 hours before putting it in the smoker?

My thought process is, by sitting out for a few hours, the meat will be at room temperature and will cook evenly. By the way, the room temperature in my house is 68 degrees.

Thanks!

Hopefully one of the experts will help you with this question as I'm thinking about doing the same thing. 

I doubt that a few hours on the counter to get the meat closer to room temp would hurt things, so that is what I plan on doing.

I'm having trouble deciding when to throw my 8 lb.'er on my Brinkmann.  If I figure in a 12 hour cook/smoke, plus an hour in the cooler, if I wanted to eat around 6:00 p.m for the Super Bowl I'd need to start her around 5:00 a.m, although I' like to leave a little wiggle room in there in case of an emergency.  Decisions, decisions.....

Sorry to say I think that would be too long and put you at some risk, but I am no expert, you want to try and get your but from 40 to 135 within a 4 hour time span, leaving it on the counter takes up some of that time

Hopefully one of the experts will help you with this question as I'm thinking about doing the same thing. 

I doubt that a few hours on the counter to get the meat closer to room temp would hurt things, so that is what I plan on doing.

I'm having trouble deciding when to throw my 8 lb.'er on my Brinkmann.  If I figure in a 12 hour cook/smoke, plus an hour in the cooler, if I wanted to eat around 6:00 p.m for the Super Bowl I'd need to start her around 5:00 a.m, although I' like to leave a little wiggle room in there in case of an emergency.  Decisions, decisions.....
Hey Machoman, you and I are in the same boat. But since my butt is closer to 9lbs, at based upon the estimate of 1.5 hours per pound, I'm estimated at being ready in 13 hours. I'm also adding time for sitting in teh cooler; breaking up the hot pork and teh problems that always comes. I really don't want to get it into the smoker after 2 p.m. at the latest.

The last time that I did a butt, it was south of 7lbs. I smoked it at 235 degrees and it took 13.45 hours.  What the heck!!!

By the way, GO GIANTS!!!

Randy plan on your butt getting done early take it out foil it wrap it in towels and place it in the smallest cooler it will fit it, fill up empty space in the cooler with more towels if needed, that pork butt will stay hot for a few hours this way

It's extremely risky leaving it out on the counter for several hours. Speaking from my own experiences on going out to party's I never make it home when I have planed.

I normally get the butt out of the fridge re-rub it then let it sit while I get the smoker going. This whole process takes no more then an hour. I have never had a problem doing it this way yet. I can for see another possible problem with your plan. Butts can take 2 hours per pound to smoke... I always figure 2 hours per pound and add 2 hours, smoking at 225. Since you want this done by 5:00pm putting it in at 1:00AM is pushing it. If your butt hits a long stall like allot do I don't think it will be ready. You didn't include what temp you planed to smoke at so this could change things. If it was me I would start earlier and if it's done early wrap it in foil and towels and put in a cooler. It will hold temp for a long time this way. 

It's extremely risky leaving it out on the counter for several hours. Speaking from my own experiences on going out to party's I never make it home when I have planed.

I normally get the butt out of the fridge re-rub it then let it sit while I get the smoker going. This whole process takes no more then an hour. I have never had a problem doing it this way yet. I can for see another possible problem with your plan. Butts can take 2 hours per pound to smoke... I always figure 2 hours per pound and add 2 hours, smoking at 225. Since you want this done by 5:00pm putting it in at 1:00AM is pushing it. If your butt hits a long stall like allot do I don't think it will be ready. You didn't include what temp you planed to smoke at so this could change things. If it was me I would start earlier and if it's done early wrap it in foil and towels and put in a cooler. It will hold temp for a long time this way.
Yeah I might be tempted to start it b4 I left but then you have the "unattended" thing to worry about.... he is in a tough spot

Last edited:
There is absolutely NO reason to put meat that will be cooked Well done/Pulled on the counter to warm up.You gain nothing in terms of cooking time and are just inviting Bacterial growth...If you were smoking a couple of Steaks or a Prime Rib for 2-3 hours and eating it rare then yes some counter time of up to two hours will help with even cooking...But with Pork it is just not needed and if you injected it countering can be down right DEADLY!!! This goes double for Turkey and Chicken...So relax and leave them in the Refrigerator...As far as the Giants go...I'm a Jersey Boy that grew up 30 minutes from the Stadium!
yahoo.gif
...JJ

Last edited:
Randy plan on your butt getting done early take it out foil it wrap it in towels and place it in the smallest cooler it will fit it, fill up empty space in the cooler with more towels if needed, that pork butt will stay hot for a few hours this way
At what point/temp do you think I should wrap it up in towels and throw in the cooler?  Sorry to pester y'all with question after question, just wanting to get this thing right the first time.

Thanks

sprky, you're scaring the heck out of me. I plan on taking the butt to 200 degrees.  It's exactly 8:00 p.m. now. If I need the butt finished by 5:00 p.m. (I plan on letting it sit in the cooler for 1 hour) at what time should I put the butt in the MES smoker?

sprky, you're scaring the heck out of me. I plan on taking the butt to 200 degrees.  It's exactly 8:00 p.m. now. If I need the butt finished by 5:00 p.m. (I plan on letting it sit in the cooler for 1 hour) at what time should I put the butt in the MES smoker?
Yeah, just to piggyback on this question, I'm using a Brinkmann electric, what time should I start mine?  I'm willing to push dinner time back a couple hours if needed.  Like I said, I just want to get it right.

Gents, I'm going to put my butt in the smoker about 9:30 P.M.

Even if it's done in the early afternoon, I can keep it warm in the oven at 200 degrees.

Even if it's done in the early afternoon, I can keep it warm in the oven at 200 degrees.
200* is too hot for holding it runs the risk of drying even if it is wrapped...150-170*F is plenty...JJ

Foil it, line a cooler with towels, toss the foiled butt into the cooler, fill any voids loosely with towels and it will stay plenty hot enough for your dinner time.

Thanks guys,

So far, I've done about 3 butts. They get better each time because there are things you learn that can't really be articulated.  I'm concerned about this one because I'm going to a superbowl party tomorrow night and there are going to be 50 people there. I don't want any mistakes.

Thanks again!

Gents, by keeping the wrapped, foiled butt in the cooler for a few hours until I'm ready to pull it apart, isn't this still cooking the meat?

Gents, by keeping the wrapped, foiled butt in the cooler for a few hours until I'm ready to pull it apart, isn't this still cooking the meat?
It's not cooking any more but there will still be some continued Collagen Connective tissue break down making the pork even more tender...This is a good thing...JJ

Okay last question,

Normally, I'll take the butt to 165 degrees and then will double wrap it  and let it go to 200 degrees.

I'm going to a party in a few. But will let it cook until I return (I'm only going to be out for a few hours). Will there be any issues, if the meat passes 165 degrees internally.

It' about 50 degrees outside right now, so I don't see a problem with weather. My only concern is the meat possibly drying out.

Thanks mates!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky