Smoker ran out of pellets, please help.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

AZ smoker and griller

Original poster
Mar 30, 2024
I am cooking a 21 lbs brisket on a pellet smoker. With a MEATER inserted.
I was cooking the brisket at 225.
At the 5 hour 20 minute mark the brisket got to 154. The smoker ran out of pellets as I failed to fill it up prior to going to bed. Palm to forehead!
The temperature outside was 60f.
3.5 hours later I woke up to cold smoker and meat. The meat got down to 92. I got the smoker going and wrapped it in unwaxed BBQ peach paper. and got the smoker back up to temp at about the 4 hour mark. I have attached a picture of the temperature graph.

Safe to eat? Serve?
Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_7797.png
    IMG_7797.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: JLeonard
The internal temp was below 140F for over 4 hours, which violates the 'don't let the meat be above 40F but below 140F for over 4 hours guideline. The graph cuts off before the internal temp gets back above 140, but it looks like it was going to be about 5 hours total in the danger zone.

Not having injected the meat helps...fewer routes for bacteria to enter, but you do have that big hole from the Meater probe.

I think it's sketchy, but let's see what the collective wisdom of the forum comes up with.

Reactions: JLeonard
This was edible at145 IT and got to 154 IT. All foodbourne pathogen bacteria that cause foodbourne illnesses inside and out are dead, gone forever to never return and this is intact meat. It would not be tender but was cooked and safe to be eaten and met the pasteurization requirements. Keep cooking it until tender. Read the pinned 40-140 in 4 hour guideline at the top of the Food Safety forum and a 8 others to get the difference between intact meat that doesn't follow the 40-140 in 4 hours and non intact meat that does. Also after it was cooked the smoke is an acidic preservative that inhibits spoilage bacteria yeasts, molds and fungus until you finish your cook. Get a therm to set the pit probe to a range like 145-290 for an alert on the high or low end. Like our late in house SMF Serve Safe Food Safety certified instructor Chef Jimmyj said all OTBS members should have this down. 9/10 times the meat needs to just continue to cook.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigW. and jaxgatorz
Refill the hopper and roll smoke to it....keep on cooking, it will be fine. The 40-140 rule is mainly intended for commuted meats like sausages. Inside a whole muscle, it is assumed to be sterile because of the animals immune system at the time of slaughter. Bacteria will be on the surface, and will die when you keep cooking. I would have no problem continuing the cook.

It was fully cooked by the time it dropped. I personally have no problem heating it back up to finish it off.
Thank you!!
Refill the hopper and roll smoke to it....keep on cooking, it will be fine. The 40-140 rule is mainly intended for commuted meats like sausages. Inside a whole muscle, it is assumed to be sterile because of the animals immune system at the time of slaughter. Bacteria will be on the surface, and will die when you keep cooking. I would have no problem continuing the cook.
thank you!
thank you!

This was edible at145 IT and got to 154 IT. All foodbourne pathogen bacteria that cause foodbourne illnesses inside and out are dead, gone forever to never return and this is intact meat. It would not be tender but was cooked and safe to be eaten and met the pasteurization requirements. Keep cooking it until tender. Read the pinned 40-140 in 4 hour guideline at the top of the Food Safety forum and a 8 others to get the difference between intact meat that doesn't follow the 40-140 in 4 hours and non intact meat that does. Also after it was cooked the smoke is an acidic preservative that inhibits spoilage bacteria yeasts, molds and fungus until you finish your cook. Get a therm to set the pit probe to a range like 145-290 for an alert on the high or low end. Like our late in house SMF Serve Safe Food Safety certified instructor Chef Jimmyj said all OTBS members should have this down. 9/10 times the meat needs to just continue to cook.
Thank you!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky