Rub Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dcb5739

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015
Central PA
This has probably been covered before here, but I couldn't find it.
Is it best to apply the rub to ribs and let then sit wrapped overnight, or rub them 2 hours before putting them on the smoker
Thanks
Dave

I like overnight or even a couple days out. Salt in the rub is essentially a Dry Brine. It pulls juices, makes a brine and then gets reabsorbed, flavoring and tenderizing the meat...JJ

I'm with Case on this. I rub my ribs while the cooker is coming up to temp. Some folks will rub, wrap and let sit overnight, but I personally think the meat on ribs is so thin that the overnight makes no difference.

Reactions: dcb5739
All depends on what flavor I want. Most rubs have salt. Salt pulls moisture and overnight will kinda give a ham flavor, at least I think.

Most of the time I season right before going on the smoker.

Reactions: dcb5739
I've done it both ways & even longer than overnight.

I think just before you put them on the smoker lets the pork flavor come out better.

Too long & the rub overpowers the meat.

Al

Another vote for putting the rub on as the smoker is coming up to temp.....

I have put on the night before and wrapped in saran wrap. The next day it seemed like I pulled off most of the rub while unwrapping.

I do agree that last minute rub makes a less pronounced flavor and therefore the pork flavor takes center stage. Even though I like my rub - I like pork better.......

Just my .02.............

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky