• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Rub Time

dcb5739

Fire Starter
Joined Oct 3, 2015
This has probably been covered before here, but I couldn't find it.
Is it best to apply the rub to ribs and let then sit wrapped overnight, or rub them 2 hours before putting them on the smoker
Thanks
Dave

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
 I like overnight or even a couple days out. Salt in the rub is essentially a Dry Brine. It pulls juices, makes a brine and then gets reabsorbed, flavoring and tenderizing the meat...JJ

joe black

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 25, 2015
I'm with Case on this. I rub my ribs while the cooker is coming up to temp. Some folks will rub, wrap and let sit overnight, but I personally think the meat on ribs is so thin that the overnight makes no difference.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
All depends on what flavor I want. Most rubs have salt. Salt pulls moisture and overnight will kinda give a ham flavor, at least I think.

Most of the time I season right before going on the smoker.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I've done it both ways & even longer than overnight.

I think just before you put them on the smoker lets the pork flavor come out better.

Too long & the rub overpowers the meat.

Al

slipaway

Meat Mopper
Joined May 28, 2014
Another vote for putting the rub on as the smoker is coming up to temp.....

I have put on the night before and wrapped in saran wrap. The next day it seemed like I pulled off most of the rub while unwrapping.

I do agree that last minute rub makes a less pronounced flavor and therefore the pork flavor takes center stage. Even though I like my rub - I like pork better.......

Just my .02.............

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.