Rib Tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I love rib tips and make them as an appetizer often. I had guests coming over, I had rib trimmings and I had my favourite barbecue sauce, Koss Sauce. Everything was coming together.

One of the reasons I like making rib tips for company is I can do most of the work before the day company is coming and then just finish them on the day of the visit.

You can use any barbecue sauce you like. I just find that Koss Sauce is a little less sweet and gives a great tangy balance when used as a gaze on the ribs.

I started with a little over 2 pounds of rib trimmings from making St Louis Ribs. I cut them into 1 to 1 1/2 inch squares. I sprinkled them generously with my basic rub:

• 15 ml (1 tablespoon) paprika
  • 15 ml (1 tablespoon) brown sugar
  • 5 ml (1 teaspoon) kosher salt
  • 1 ml (1/4 teaspoon) cayenne

I preheated my smoker to 230 F and put the ribs on for 3 hours.

I brought the ribs in and put them in a roasting pan. I added 250 ml (1 cup) of apple juice and covered the pan with foil.

As the pan is foiled, the meat will not take any more smoke. It was also mid winter in the Canadian Rockies so I brought it in and cooked it in the oven at 230 F for 2 hours.

I did this a day before my guests were coming. I have found that I can even freeze the ribs at this point and just thaw them out before finishing them. This time I put them in the fridge overnight. If you are going to finish the ribs right away, just reduce the finishing time below by 15 minutes.

I put the rib tips in a roasting pan and brushed them with the Koss sauce. I put them in a 230 F oven for 45 minutes. Brush again with the Koss Sauce and cook for another 30 minutes.

The finished product.

Rib Tips - Koss Sauce 06.jpg

The Verdict

These are so good. The fat mostly rends out leaving incredibly tender pork on easily removed bones and cartilage. The Koss Sauce gives a nice sweet glaze with tang and a touch of heat. These vanished soon after the guests arrived!

Disco

Last edited:
Nice tip on the tips Disco. I'll give these a go in the not to distance future.

Point for sure
Chris

I have been buying STL's lately, but after seeing what you did with the trimmings, I think I may go back to trimming my own spares!
The tips look delicious!
I was thinking you could serve them as appetizers, just before the ribs were done!
Nice work Buddy!
Al

Nice tip on the tips Disco. I'll give these a go in the not to distance future.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks, Chris! They are a go to around here.

I have been buying STL's lately, but after seeing what you did with the trimmings, I think I may go back to trimming my own spares!
The tips look delicious!
I was thinking you could serve them as appetizers, just before the ribs were done!
Nice work Buddy!
Al

Thanks, Al! I do all my own ribs and make these up and freeze them. Then I always have some on hand for treats! I have friends who ask if I am making Rib Tips when I invite them over.

Disco, that sounds good!! Thinking would be perfect for SB Sunday. Called Sam's to get some trimmings but told they are not allowed to sell trimmings. Where did your's com from?. Store or did you cut your own? I saw where JJ said he might go back to cutting his own spares but thinking would require a meat saw????

Disco, that sounds good!! Thinking would be perfect for SB Sunday. Called Sam's to get some trimmings but told they are not allowed to sell trimmings. Where did your's com from?. Store or did you cut your own? I saw where JJ said he might go back to cutting his own spares but thinking would require a meat saw????
I cut my own St Louis ribs from full racks and, no, you don't need a bone saw, just a decent knife. See my video:

When you trim ribs, you are just cutting through cartilage and a decent knife handles it no problem.

I never used spares and thought cutting into St.Louis would be difficult. Not with your video! Thanks.

Anyone who watches will agree but be sure to see the credits at the end. Hillarious!!!!

I never used spares and thought cutting into St.Louis would be difficult. Not with your video! Thanks.

Anyone who watches will agree but be sure to see the credits at the end. Hillarious!!!!
Well, thank you! You know it can't be difficult if I can do it.

Those are some of the best looking rib tips I've ever scene Disco.

I've made some myself in the past and everyone liked them a lot. Will have to try your method next time I make up a batch though.

When I made them I smoked up the whole trimming and the sliced them. Seems like pre slicing them would allow more rub seasoning and smoke into each piece making them even more flavorful.

Last edited:
Those are some of the best looking rib tips I've ever scene Disco.

I've made some myself in the past and everyone liked them a lot. Will have to try your method next time I make up a batch though.

When I made them I smoked up the whole trimming and the sliced them. Seems like pre slicing them would allow more rub seasoning and smoke into each piece making them even more flavorful.
Thanks so much! I do like them cut so there is more surface for the rub and sauce.

As usual - great video! Your rib tips looks delicious and tasty. They are on my list to do right when weather permits.... It's too wet in SF bay area currently.:emoji_disappointed:
Har! You're breaking my heart. It is minus 15 here with a couple of feet of snow. I'm still smoking!

Hi Disco,

With the rib tips, how do you cut the actual trimmings? I always just threw the big chunk of meat in the smoker but should I be feeling for the cartilage and slicing in between or are you just cutting them 1.5 inches and whatever happens happens

Hi Disco,

With the rib tips, how do you cut the actual trimmings? I always just threw the big chunk of meat in the smoker but should I be feeling for the cartilage and slicing in between or are you just cutting them 1.5 inches and whatever happens happens
I just cut into squares and cut through any cartilage there is. A decent heavy knife cuts through the cartilage no problem.

I just cut into squares and cut through any cartilage there is. A decent heavy knife cuts through the cartilage no problem.
What about that breast bone? Do you just cut through that to make squares or do you leave that whole?

Very nice Disco. I have a similar addiction. Your method is much longer than mine. I smoke 1 hr, wrap 1 hour with bud light, then smoke another 30 minutes or so before sauce, sizzle, serve. That way I can serve them just before the ribs are done. I've been calling them faux-burn-ends but I think I'm going to go with Tips now. haha. Can't wait till someone says no bone for me, just the tip. ;)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky