Rib-eyes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Well it's been a couple of weeks since I did the tomahawks, and the wife came home from Costco with a three pack of their rib-eyes. So out comes the kettle.

Getting ready for a sprinkle of salt and pepper:
DSC01099.JPG

All Seasoned:
DSC01100.JPG

Onto the kettle for their indirect part of the journey:
DSC01101.JPG

Skidmark was caught with a gansett:
DSC01102.JPG

Pleading his case for leniency:
DSC01103.JPG

Sear time:
DSC01104.JPG

...and into the kitchen:
DSC01105.JPG

I got a phone call from my cousins that I had to answer so these stayed on longer then I wanted during the indirect portion of the cook. So the searing had to be cut short:
DSC01106.JPG

A tad overcooked for our liking, but they were still really good and tender. No sides on this night - as the wife and I planned on going out for an end-of-the season creemee. Ummm black and white.

Thanks for taking a look.

Chris

Looks yummy! Like!

I learned how to grill steaks over direct heat. Did it for decades. Then I started reading about direct/indirect, or visa versa, on the Internet. Did it for years for steaks and tri-tips on my Kettle. I was getting too many inconsistent results and wrongly blamed the meat, charcoal, me.

A few months ago I got lazy after working all day, picked up some steaks on sale, and went back to direct only over high heat using a timer. Bingo! Meat once again tender, juicy, and consistent regardless of the purchase source.

Might have to go pick up some rib eyes or a tri tip today because I don't have anything planned for dinner. Thank Skidmark for the inspiration!

Looks great to me Points
Richie

Thank you Richie for the like and kindly words. It was really good just a couple of degrees higher then I wanted.

Yum . Nice cook . Need to move the kettle in by the land line .

Thanks Chop, It's one of those cuts that I never get tired of. My kettles sleep in the garage when not in use. I just carry them out to the back yard when their called into duty. Thanks for the like also.

Chris

they look tasty,

That they were, and thanks for the like Jim.

Looks yummy! Like!

I learned how to grill steaks over direct heat. Did it for decades. Then I started reading about direct/indirect, or visa versa, on the Internet. Did it for years for steaks and tri-tips on my Kettle. I was getting too many inconsistent results and wrongly blamed the meat, charcoal, me.

A few months ago I got lazy after working all day, picked up some steaks on sale, and went back to direct only over high heat using a timer. Bingo! Meat once again tender, juicy, and consistent regardless of the purchase source.

Might have to go pick up some rib eyes or a tri tip today because I don't have anything planned for dinner. Thank Skidmark for the inspiration!

No problem Skidmark loves it when the grill come out. I still go high heat for flanksteak and similar cuts, but for prime rib, ribeyes, t-bones and porters I like to reverse sear. I can usually get a nice pinkish/redish color without the gray matter. Also thanks for the like appreciate it.

Chris

Now there's a Man after my own Heart, on Ribeyes---Nothing Better!!
I'd be sitting, like a Good Boy, waiting just like My Buddy "Skidmark" is!!
Nice Job, Chris!
Like.

Bear

Cooked perfect for me Chris, I prefer medium but will also do medium rare on occasion....

Like!

John

Thanks John for the like and kind words. I don't mind medium but prefer rare. It seems the older I get the rarer I like my steaks.

Chris

Ribeyes look great Chris! Probably my favorite cut.

Cant believe you caught skidmark with that beer! Too bad it wasn't PBR though. On a funny note my boxer loves beer. If I am sitting outside with one she will sit there and stare at me until I give her some. Loves it almost as much as food!

Ribeyes look great Chris! Probably my favorite cut.

Cant believe you caught skidmark with that beer! Too bad it wasn't PBR though. On a funny note my boxer loves beer. If I am sitting outside with one she will sit there and stare at me until I give her some. Loves it almost as much as food!

Oh No!!! Not the "Sit & Stare"!!! I know that one real good---usually comes with a lot of slobbering!!! My Black Lab Mix was an Expert at the whole procedure!!!

Bear

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
I don't know what Gansett is, but if it includes hanging out with your pup at the grill and Ribeyes, Its GOT to be good! Congrats!

Lol you are exactly right...it always involves lots of slobber!

LOL---Shadow used to play a game with me:
When Mrs Bear ate at the table, Shadow would lay his chin on her thigh & watch every forkful go from her plate to her mouth. When she was done eating, her whole left thigh was soaked.

When I ate something, while sitting on my recliner, Shadow wasn't allowed to watch me, and He knew it. So he'd stick his head around the corner & Stare (behind me--to my right). I could see his head come around the corner, by looking out the corner of my eyes. So all of a sudden I'd turn my head & look at him---Caught You!! He'd immediately turn his head away & look up in the air, as if to say "I wasn't looking". I'd turn away from him & soon he was staring at me again. I could hear his toenails clicking, as he shifted his weight while he was staring. Then I'd whip my head around, and "Caught You again". He'd look up at the ceiling again rather "Nonchalant". And at the end of this game, I'd give him whatever I saved for him, and there was a big puddle on the floor at the corner of the Living Room, where he had been standing.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky