Red's Smoked Garlic Butter Shrimp

Discussion in 'Non-fish Seafood' started by seenred, May 17, 2014.

1. seenred

seenred Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member

Here's a fast and easy way to cook up some delicious fresh shrimp on a Saturday afternoon.  Total prep time: 20 minutes + 1 hour in marinade.  Total cook time: 40 minutes.

I started with a pound of large fresh shrimp...not always available in my neck of the woods (NE Okla.), but frozen shrimp will work too when you can't find fresh.  Peeled, de-veined, and removed the tails.

Seasoned with some bacon-jalapeno rub, some seasoned garlic salt, and some freshly ground black pepper.

Into a zip lock bag, with a couple splashes of EVOO and a couple splashes of Daddy Hinkle's marinade.

After marinating in the fridge for an hour...I brushed both sides of the shrimp with fresh garlic-infused butter, then dusted with a little more seasoned garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Into the Rec Tec smoker @225*.  Hickory pellets in the hopper, and Pitmaster's Choice in the AMNTS.  Close it up and no peeking for 35-40 minutes.

About 40 minutes later...Done!

Plated, with some oven roasted potato wedges, a tossed green salad, and some sweet tea.

A couple of closer looks:

These were delicious!  This is Mrs. Red's new favorite shrimp...it's always good when Momma's happy!

Thanks for stopping by...

Red

Last edited: May 17, 2014
    disco likes this.
  2. brooksy

brooksy Master of the Pit

Great looking shrimp Red!! Gonna have to try some smoked shrimp soon. Have plenty of seafood available in my neck of the woods.

3. That's a great looking meal Red!  [​IMG]   I like smoked seafood a lot!  What kind of tea are you using?

4. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looks great Red.  To bad they are so expensive around here.

5. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow Red, nice meal as per usual.... I have gotta try this, them shrimp look amazing !! :drool Dang, nice smoke ! Thumbs Up
    BTW, sounds as if Mrs. Red likes em that much, gotta do em again.... Ya know.... Happy wife... Happy life.... LOL

6. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Good looking seafood Red.........

You'll just have to start using a shrimp siene  up at lake Ooloogah get 'em fresh Red!  <Chuckles>

They look good Red.

7. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Those look great! I have smoked shrimp several times and is one of my favorite ways to eat them. I just wonder why you removed the Heads? Once smoked they are loaded with tasty stuff just like Crawfish and Lobster. Nice Job...JJ

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  8. seenred

Thanks Brooksy!  Yeah it must be nice being close enough to the ocean to have access to fresh seafood all the time.

Red

9. seenred

Thanks B!  This was Red Diamond Sweet, but most of the time we brew our own from Lipton teabags.

Red

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  10. seenred

Thanks Adam!  Yeah, they're pretty high hear too...it's too bad we can't afford to eat like this all the time.
    Thanks alot Justin!  Yep...if Momma's not happy....you know.

Red

11. seenred

Thanks Foam!  I'm afraid the shrimp on Oologah are all fished out! [​IMG]

Red

12. seenred

Thanks JJ!  There's no way I'm getting Mrs. Red to do the heads!  Not gonna have that battle...[​IMG]

Red

13. Hi Red! And here's to your great smoked shrimp meal!!!

I bet that was enjoyed to the hilt and even smelled incredibly while cooking!

I too am a fan of the heads being on things (especially when grilling/eating whole sardines or smelts where I can start at the head and munch happily right through and eat the whole thing) but whether headless or not, I am certain that this shrimp serving was grand fun!!!!!

Great job! Cheers! - Leah

14. jmgreen

jmgreen Fire Starter

That looks awesome. I will give it a try in the very near future. I agree with the head on but understand the wife issue. The nice thing about heads, shells and all is you can make a nice broth for gumbo and such.

15. seenred

Thank you kind Lady!

Thanks JM! Mrs. Red isn't really a finicky eater...but for some reason she has an aversion to her food staring back at her!

Red

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  16. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Tasty looking meal Red! Love some good shrimp and tater wedges!

17. seenred

Thanks Case!

Both our sons and the DILs came for the day today...I cooked up another big batch of the same recipe for lunch...didn't get any pics today. A big hit with my whole bunch.

Red

18. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I'm quite a bit late to this Party!!  Thanks to Case for bumping it up again!!

Those Shrimp & the Taters look awesome!![​IMG]

Bears love that stuff!!![​IMG]

Bear

19. jp61

jp61 Master of the Pit ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Even though I'm more of a meat-n-potato guy, your plate looks good!

20. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I am really glad I didn't miss this as I have to try it. Thanks for the post.

[​IMG]

Disco