Shrimp Étouffée...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow - that looks fantastic!

I have been ordering the Crawfish Étouffée at a sports bar called Walk-Ons and they have done a reasonably good job with it...but I would love to taste yours so I would have a base-line to judge the rest with!
The homemade shrimp stock was the real key. It made the taste of this really intense in a very good way. Thank you for your kind words, Eric...

Sure looks awesome! Wife loves shrimp so once in a while I try to create something different for her. I'll give yours a go probably this weekend. Hope I do it justice. Thanks for sharing.
Give it a shot and let me know. As I've said, the homemade shrimp stock was the key to the intense shrimp flavor of my dish...

...was on the menu tonight. It's been awhile since I've made it so tonight I was going to change that. I bought the shrimp straight off the boat back in September. They had the heads on so after popping the heads, I boiled them to make my own stock which I put into quart containers in the freezer.

Ingredients
  • 1 quart of local shrimp from the freezer, peeled and deveined
  • 1 quart of homemade shrimp stock
  • 1 onion chopped
  • 1 rib of celery chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic chopped
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 T Cajun seasoning. I used Slap Ya Mama, but a word of caution, it is very salty
  • 1 T sweet paprika
  • ⅓ cup of vegetable oil
  • ⅓ cup AP flour
  • Chopped green onions
View attachment 685405
View attachment 685406

Heat the oil on medium heat and add the flour stirring almost constantly until your desired darkness is achieved. For me, this was about 10-12 minutes...
View attachment 685407

Add the celery, peppers, and onions and saute until tender then add the garlic and cook just a couple more minutes...
View attachment 685408

Stir in the some of the shrimp stock and then the seasonings. Simmer covered on low for maybe 5-7 minutes. If it gets too thick, add more stock. I used maybe ¾ of the quart. Add the shrimp and cook for a few more minutes until the shrimp are done...
View attachment 685409
View attachment 685410

Served with rice and topped with the green onions. Time to eat...
View attachment 685412

With the homemade shrimp stock, the shrimp taste was very intense and fantastic...
What a meal, I can eat on that for days. Shrimp and roux go well together. Two things here that stand out to me. 1) shrimp stock is the key to making a fantastic shrimp stew, gumbo etc. Many people are unaware of this, im thankful my family showed me this. I do the same, boil heads and shells, freeze the stock for days like today. 2) you have the same excellent fine china to eat from as I do 😄

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
What a meal, I can eat on that for days. Shrimp and roux go well together. Two things here that stand out to me. 1) shrimp stock is the key to making a fantastic shrimp stew, gumbo etc. Many people are unaware of this, im thankful my family showed me this. I do the same, boil heads and shells, freeze the stock for days like today. 2) you have the same excellent fine china to eat from as I do 😄
Thanks Cajun. The shrimp stock was definitely the ingredient that put the flavor over the top. As for the fine china, we had just gone to the fine china store to re-stock our supply...😂

• Haha
Reactions: Cajun Smokes
1705066167765.png

Wow!!! That looks terrific Charles ---> Bookmarked.

Point for sure
Chris

Well, whatever Im making tonight for dinner, Im just going to give to the dogs! Because that right there trumps it 10 fold! Nice job!

• Love
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky