Reaper / Scotch Bonnet ferments

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Bottling up two batches of hot sauce last week kicked the addiction back in lol. I have one orange habanero ferment going but wanted to start some more to have plenty on hand for Christmas gift baskets , my belly and friends. These are half gallon 3.5% brine 1/3 Carolina Reaper and 2/3 Orange / Yellow Scotch Bonnets. I had 4 but somehow clipped the bottom of the jar just right and th bottom literally fell off! Cleanup sucked and the loss sucked more as for safety with potential tiny glass shards I pitched it. This will be like my Agent Orange sauce on steroids lol. chopsaw chopsaw I stemmed and cleaned close to 100 reapers for this, they definitely had a great fruity aroma. I’ll be doing about 3 half gallons of just Scotch Bonnet this weekend too
5F01C106-4AE7-4F6F-A7B4-597C794E313D.jpeg
C0E30139-69B9-47B3-BC5C-79FC90EA7D90.jpeg

Nice Jeff . It is addicting . Had some wings last night . Mixed some of the pineapple reaper sauce with blue cheese dressing . Good stuff . I picked another 5 Reapers and a bunch of jalapenos . Gonna get the last of the Reapers off the plant today .
I need some of those " keepers " you have under the weights .
I stemmed and cleaned close to 100 reapers for this, they definitely had a great fruity aroma.
That's a bunch of heat . The fruitiness is awesome on these . Gonna put up a couple today myself . I'll be watching for the update .

Nice Jeff . It is addicting . Had some wings last night . Mixed some of the pineapple reaper sauce with blue cheese dressing . Good stuff . I picked another 5 Reapers and a bunch of jalapenos . Gonna get the last of the Reapers off the plant today .
I need some of those " keepers " you have under the weights .

That's a bunch of heat . The fruitiness is awesome on these . Gonna put up a couple today myself . I'll be watching for the update .
Rich those keepers are the best investment I’ve made for ferments. They are currently out of stock on Amazon but available direct from the manufacturer. One of those and the weight keeps things down really well. https://shop.revolutionfermentation...-for-mason-jar-12-pack?variant=30212449435714

Reactions: chopsaw
One of those and the weight keeps things down really well.
I have the weights , but always lose a few things above the weights. I'm gonna use Joe's Idea of larger onion pieces at the top of the jar .

It’s the most reapers I’ve cleaned for sauce. I was a little nervous about it
As you should be . I got the dust on my face one time . Around my eyes . Just from moving the bags .

Reactions: jcam222
That’s gonna be awesome sauce Jeff, spicy too I bet! I’m in for the finish.
I think it will be my hottest to date for sure. I plan on processing at least one of these in mid December. Will let the other ride a few more months.

Bottling up two batches of hot sauce last week kicked the addiction back in lol. I have one orange habanero ferment going but wanted to start some more to have plenty on hand for Christmas gift baskets , my belly and friends. These are half gallon 3.5% brine 1/3 Carolina Reaper and 2/3 Orange / Yellow Scotch Bonnets. I had 4 but somehow clipped the bottom of the jar just right and th bottom literally fell off! Cleanup sucked and the loss sucked more as for safety with potential tiny glass shards I pitched it. This will be like my Agent Orange sauce on steroids lol. chopsaw chopsaw I stemmed and cleaned close to 100 reapers for this, they definitely had a great fruity aroma. I’ll be doing about 3 half gallons of just Scotch Bonnet this weekend too View attachment 648277View attachment 648278
In for the ride, I need to learn how to do this, I ended up leaving a ton of habs and Jay’s Peach Ghost Scorpion Peppers on the plants this year. I had already pickled A bunch, but fermenting some would be awesome.

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
I need to learn how to do this,
I just couldn't get my head wrapped around it . Joe and Jeff helped me understand what to look for , what to use and what to worry about .
Now I have fermented hot sauce ( home grown reapers from Richie )
sitting on the supper table .
I suggest a PM to one or both to get ya going .

WOW!! That stuff is gonna be off the charts. I'd love to get some going but I'm the only one who would enjoy it and it'd be a lot of work just for me or just for a bottle or two. I'll just continue to love the stuff vicariously through you. Excellent work buddy.

Robert

Reactions: jcam222
Adding more to the ferments in process. Got 3 more batches rolling today bringing it up to 6 half gallon and on smaller one. Two Scotch Bonnet with a hint of sweet yellow peppers and one Reaper with a touch of bonnet and sweet red. Next up will be a 2 half gallon green ferments with mixed green habanero, jalapeño and Serrano. Also need to get a batch of kraut
C5AFB3CB-C85D-429C-9C10-6327A6A6D2F0.jpeg
going for Christmas gifts. Gotta get my butt in gear on that.

Last edited:
Reactions: xray and chopsaw
I also have my last harvest of scotch bonnets and jalapenos in the brine since Saturday 11/ 19.
Everytime I have burped a jar of peppers in the past and now, I get the sneezes like crazy. Am I the only one that has this happen?
I'm running two WM masons with bands and metal lids, two WM masons with air vents and springs (new to me this time) and jalapenos in a clasp jar. No off odors so far so that's a plus, just incredible sneezing.

Man, Jeff. You're a fermenting fool for sure! I'm thinking about making a jar of that. And infuse it in vinegar for spicy vinegar. Should be interesting.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky