Two Fermented pepper sauce blends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So is that where a lot of the heat is ? In the brine ?
More of the heat in the peppers I believe. That is why I used more of the brine to dilute it. That said the brine was hot too. The orange batch blended with half the brine was so hot I Could not work with it for flavoring over multiple tastes lol. Had to add the rest of the brine and some vinegar. I just ordered 100 Carolina reapers. I’ll mix them with store bought orange habanero and start 4 new half gallon ferments next week.

Last edited:
brine was hot too.
Mine was crazy hot before I added the pineapple . After I mixed , it has a " sneaky heat " . I asked because I didn't use a lot of the brine . Maybe half or a bit less . I like the red wine vinegar taste in there .
That being said , even after mixing , when I was washing the stuff up I got a huge hit when the hot water hit the bowls and spoons . Choke the dang life out of you fumes . Lol .
Love the color on yours .

Reactions: xray and jcam222
Mine was crazy hot before I added the pineapple . After I mixed , it has a " sneaky heat " . I asked because I didn't use a lot of the brine . Maybe half or a bit less . I like the red wine vinegar taste in there .
That being said , even after mixing , when I was washing the stuff up I got a huge hit when the hot water hit the bowls and spoons . Choke the dang life out of you fumes . Lol .
Love the color on yours .
Lol I’m really reconsidering my sanity in ordering the reapers lol. I think ghost or scorpion would have been ok. I like just about a third those and 2/3 habanero for hotter sauce and 100% habanero or a or scotch bonnets for my go to. I’m going to do a pepper garden next year for sure. I may have to sell it to locals on the downlow lol. I’ve had offers to pretty much sell out 30 bottles of this stuff and wasn’t asking lol.

Reactions: chopsaw
Reapers are fantastic . Get the amount right and the fruity taste comes through . I do a sausage and a dried beef with reaper powder that's really good . It's addicting . If you don't have any reaper powder , dry some of the peppers and grind them .

Reactions: jcam222
I love the color on those sauces and the labels look great too, it sure can become an exciting hobby.

That’s an awesome idea about putting the blended sauce in a jar and letting it sit and then adjusting your seasonings to taste once everything has mellowed out a bit. I’m gonna borrow that idea for some future ferments! Thank you.

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
it sure can become an exciting hobby.
I left some of the green reapers on the plant . Pretty much forgot about them . Just went out and saw I have another 8 or so that are ripe , and about a dozen new green ones . Also picked 12 jalapenos off the Aero garden this morning . Wasn't gonna start another one , but you start thinking about different profiles . 🤔

I left some of the green reapers on the plant . Pretty much forgot about them . Just went out and saw I have another 8 or so that are ripe , and about a dozen new green ones . Also picked 12 jalapenos off the Aero garden this morning . Wasn't gonna start another one , but you start thinking about different profiles . 🤔

Colors, profiles etc. You could really come up with some creative sauces! It will be interesting to see what you make next.

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
The Mean Green was wildly popular with friends and their friends. So much so I keep getting requests for purchase lol. May as well oblige to help pay for bottles and peppers! The last batch had a little miscellaneous in it so trying to nail down a repeatable formula. This is basic 1/3 green scotch bonnet and 2/3 jalapeño. Very basic finish with brine , small amount of white vinegar and xanthan gum. Really let’s the pepper flavor shine through. Processed two batches of it this morning yielding just short of a half gallon of processed sauce. I’ll bottle tomorrow when the bubbles settle and I double check taste. People are already lining up lol. I will say this is far easier to taste and adjust multiple times vs the reaper blends!!
882DD8B0-983D-4D8D-8AC7-48955F8ED52E.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky