Two Fermented pepper sauce blends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

jcam222

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
So is that where a lot of the heat is ? In the brine ?
More of the heat in the peppers I believe. That is why I used more of the brine to dilute it. That said the brine was hot too. The orange batch blended with half the brine was so hot I Could not work with it for flavoring over multiple tastes lol. Had to add the rest of the brine and some vinegar. I just ordered 100 Carolina reapers. I’ll mix them with store bought orange habanero and start 4 new half gallon ferments next week.

Last edited:

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
brine was hot too.
Mine was crazy hot before I added the pineapple . After I mixed , it has a " sneaky heat " . I asked because I didn't use a lot of the brine . Maybe half or a bit less . I like the red wine vinegar taste in there .
That being said , even after mixing , when I was washing the stuff up I got a huge hit when the hot water hit the bowls and spoons . Choke the dang life out of you fumes . Lol .
Love the color on yours .

Reactions: xray and jcam222

jcam222

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Mine was crazy hot before I added the pineapple . After I mixed , it has a " sneaky heat " . I asked because I didn't use a lot of the brine . Maybe half or a bit less . I like the red wine vinegar taste in there .
That being said , even after mixing , when I was washing the stuff up I got a huge hit when the hot water hit the bowls and spoons . Choke the dang life out of you fumes . Lol .
Love the color on yours .
Lol I’m really reconsidering my sanity in ordering the reapers lol. I think ghost or scorpion would have been ok. I like just about a third those and 2/3 habanero for hotter sauce and 100% habanero or a or scotch bonnets for my go to. I’m going to do a pepper garden next year for sure. I may have to sell it to locals on the downlow lol. I’ve had offers to pretty much sell out 30 bottles of this stuff and wasn’t asking lol.

Reactions: chopsaw

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Reapers are fantastic . Get the amount right and the fruity taste comes through . I do a sausage and a dried beef with reaper powder that's really good . It's addicting . If you don't have any reaper powder , dry some of the peppers and grind them .

Reactions: jcam222

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I love the color on those sauces and the labels look great too, it sure can become an exciting hobby.

That’s an awesome idea about putting the blended sauce in a jar and letting it sit and then adjusting your seasonings to taste once everything has mellowed out a bit. I’m gonna borrow that idea for some future ferments! Thank you.

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
it sure can become an exciting hobby.
I left some of the green reapers on the plant . Pretty much forgot about them . Just went out and saw I have another 8 or so that are ripe , and about a dozen new green ones . Also picked 12 jalapenos off the Aero garden this morning . Wasn't gonna start another one , but you start thinking about different profiles . 🤔

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Mar 11, 2015
Northeast PA
I left some of the green reapers on the plant . Pretty much forgot about them . Just went out and saw I have another 8 or so that are ripe , and about a dozen new green ones . Also picked 12 jalapenos off the Aero garden this morning . Wasn't gonna start another one , but you start thinking about different profiles . 🤔

Colors, profiles etc. You could really come up with some creative sauces! It will be interesting to see what you make next.

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw

jcam222

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
The Mean Green was wildly popular with friends and their friends. So much so I keep getting requests for purchase lol. May as well oblige to help pay for bottles and peppers! The last batch had a little miscellaneous in it so trying to nail down a repeatable formula. This is basic 1/3 green scotch bonnet and 2/3 jalapeño. Very basic finish with brine , small amount of white vinegar and xanthan gum. Really let’s the pepper flavor shine through. Processed two batches of it this morning yielding just short of a half gallon of processed sauce. I’ll bottle tomorrow when the bubbles settle and I double check taste. People are already lining up lol. I will say this is far easier to taste and adjust multiple times vs the reaper blends!!
882DD8B0-983D-4D8D-8AC7-48955F8ED52E.jpeg

Latest posts